PhD Applications Fall '18 Season

Epaphroditus

13 minutes ago, sjca14 said:

Does anyone happen to know anything about Georgetown? If so, feel free to message me :)

I had a buddy who applied to PhD programs two years ago and hisĀ heart was set on Georgetown. I remember that he thought his chances were shot since he hadnā€™t heard anything back and it was really late in the game. In March I believe. Then he was sent an acceptance from Georgetown. So I think they might notify really late, although it is possible they send out notifications in waves. Donā€™t know.Ā 

50 minutes ago, Averroes MD said:

I had a buddy who applied to PhD programs two years ago and hisĀ heart was set on Georgetown. I remember that he thought his chances were shot since he hadnā€™t heard anything back and it was really late in the game. In March I believe. Then he was sent an acceptance from Georgetown. So I think they might notify really late, although it is possible they send out notifications in waves. Donā€™t know.Ā 

Thanks. That's helpful. I have a friend who knows someone with a similar story...and the wait continues

3 hours ago, sjca14 said:

Does anyone happen to know anything about Georgetown? If so, feel free to message me :)

Last year Georgetown sent out acceptance/wait list letters for the Theology and Religious Studies programĀ on February 16.Ā Traditionally they were sent out the last week of February or first week of March. There is a new chair of grad studies this year, which may also affect the timing.

I'm anxiously awaiting to hear from them again this year, too.

On 2/28/2018 at 10:33 AM, sjca14 said:

I just got my rejection from Arabic & Islamic studies. I also applied to Theology & Religious Studies, but haven't heard back on this yet.Ā 

15 hours ago, Averroes MD said:

I just got my rejection from Arabic & Islamic studies. I also applied to Theology & Religious Studies, but haven't heard back on this yet.Ā 

I am sorry to hear that. I hope Theology & Religious Studies works out and that we all hear back from them soon.

1 hour ago, sjca14 said:

I am sorry to hear that. I hope Theology & Religious Studies works out and that we all hear back from them soon.

No worries. Thanks for the kind words. I doubt I will go to Georgetown even if I get accepted. It was high up on my personal rank list (#3), but I was accepted to my #1. I was rejected from my #2 and I think I would've been accepted to my #4 had I not withdrawn from it after hearing back from my #1. You win some, you lose some. Shrug.

Georgetown Theology looks awesome. I hope you get in!Ā 

I have a question for the anxious Ph.D hopefuls in this thread: how much does the reputation of the school where you earned your masters matter when it comes time to apply for Ph.D programs? Does a competitive masters program translate into significantly improved odds for admission into an elite Ph.D program? Does it have more to do with your professional resume/publications?

Assuming you got good grades, a master's degree from a top school can only help you. It helps show that you can perform at a top level and it's likely put you in contact with top people in your field that can vouch for your ability.

Can you excel at a mediocre M* school and still land at a top school? Sure. Have you intentionally gimped yourself and chances? Absolutely.

On 2/28/2018 at 6:37 PM, KA.DINGER.RA said:

FYI: A couple of ND acceptances have gone out. They likely won't all come out today or tomorrow, so be patient.Ā 

Y'all... ND is killing me. I assume no news is bad news at this point?

Ā Iā€™ve heard nothing from ND officially but got an email from a prof this afternoonĀ that started with ā€œIā€™m sure youā€™ve heard from the grad school by this point...ā€ sooo maybe decisions will be out shortly??

31 minutes ago, msdb said:

Ā Iā€™ve heard nothing from ND officially but got an email from a prof this afternoonĀ that started with ā€œIā€™m sure youā€™ve heard from the grad school by this point...ā€ sooo maybe decisions will be out shortly??

Cray cray banaynay

Course I got my interview email at like, 8:40 on a Sunday night, so who knows?!

I got an e-mail from a professor much like msdb above. It was a recruitment e-mail encouraging me to accept their offer, but I've not gotten official word yet. I e-mailed a current studentĀ who said that it has been standard over the years to send acceptance notifications out Saturday. I realize the key word here is "standard" so who knows. Perhaps internal candidates are getting first notice. There is also the added layer of fellowship notifications that precede the "standard" timeline. I would not abandon hope just yet. Had I not gotten an unofficial e-mail, I would have already jumped to conclusions.Ā Come Sunday and no word, then you might safely assume waitlist or rejection.Ā Ā Ā 

14 hours ago, JDD said:

I have a question for the anxious Ph.D hopefuls in this thread: how much does the reputation of the school where you earned your masters matter when it comes time to apply for Ph.D programs? Does a competitive masters program translate into significantly improved odds for admission into an elite Ph.D program? Does it have more to do with your professional resume/publications?

I did my MDiv at a small seminary within my denomination and after two failed attempts to get into a good PhD program completed a ThM at a different, larger seminary in a different, larger denomination. My stats are good, I've held a number of leadership positions, and padded my CV with publications. So far the only acceptances I've received are non-funded in aĀ programĀ at a state school that isn't known for religious studies. I think a large part of my struggleĀ has to do with the perceived quality of these seminaries.Ā 

16 hours ago, JDD said:

Coming from a non-top-tier MDiv program I can make arguments on both sides. Mostly, I think it depends on what you want to do. If you know 100% that youĀ want toĀ get into an eliteĀ PhD program and then go on to teach at a top-tierĀ research university, there's no question that an elite M* degree will be a significant boon in getting into the next step.

But on the other hand, if you're still in the process of determining a sense of vocation and think you might have some interest in parish or other ministry work rather than a purely academic track, there's more room for secondary considerations. If you have full funding at a less-elite M* program and would have to go into debt for a top-tier one, that's well worth considering -- especially since the job prospects even on the other side of an elite PhD are dismal. Avoiding debt at the M* level also keeps doors open to more varied PhD options -- especially in the UK/Canada, where you may be able to get into top schools but not get full funding (the situation I find myself in; I have no student loans to pay off from undergrad or MDiv so I have the flexibility to go places with only partial funding and take out small loans if needed). The bottom line is that there's no guarantee of getting into a top-tier PhD program regardless of how good your M* is, so you have to weigh that reality, particularly if there are financial considerations involved.

Like @xypathosĀ says though, if you know with certainty that your goal is a top-tier PhD program and an academic track, going to a less-respected M* will definitely create obstacles that you then have to overcome. I'm happy to share particulars of my experience/situation if you want to shoot me a message.

Ā 

Just got rejection letter from UVA PhD, accepting me to the MA.Ā  More or less what I expected, as I was applying without a Master's.Ā  No word on funding with respect to the MAā€”does anyone know if UVA does or does not give financial aid / scholarships to MA students?

22 minutes ago, jmarvin_ said:

does anyone know if UVA does or does not give financial aid / scholarships to MA students?

I'm pretty positive they don't. If you're Episcopalian look at the Skinner scholarship, which is quite generous

20 minutes ago, Rabbit Run said:

I'm pretty positive they don't. If you're Episcopalian look at the Skinner scholarship, which is quite generous

Well, that's a shame.Ā  I'm Eastern Orthodox, so unfortunately that won't help me.

3 hours ago, jmarvin_ said:

Well, that's a shame.Ā  I'm Eastern Orthodox, so unfortunately that won't help me.

They don't give funding. I'm in the program now and would answer questions if you want to send me a PM.Ā 

can anyone claim the acceptance from McGill? I just saw it wasĀ unofficial acceptance. I'm on the same position. Did you receive the official letter in the meantimeĀ ? If yes, it was with funding?Ā