PhD Applications Fall '18 Season

Epaphroditus

19 hours ago, kay0213 said:

Thank you so much, Almaqah! I feel so grateful for this opportunity. I am still weighing my options—Brandeis, Emory, NYU. Could you offer me some insights on my decision-making? 

That's a nice list, well done. I would put Emory first. NYU is underrated on this subforum, though the problem there is funding. Unless you get some sort of extra fellowship money, surviving in NYC on their stipend is difficult. I know two PhD grads from NYU in another discipline in the humanities who left during the summers because of funding issues (they would sublet their rooms). Perhaps the department of interest has extra funds set aside for the summer?

Edited by sacklunch

8 hours ago, RivkahJ. said:

My recommendation would be to straight up ask LeMon or Strawn about job placement. As for Newsom, Yeah...she's retiring this year, which is why I'm headed elsewhere (DSS is my main interest). LeMon and Strawn are definitely known for their iconography research, but they’re both doing interesting research outside that area. Personally, I also think Jacob Wright is brilliant. Where are your interests in HB?

I will definitely ask Strawn about this. Thanks for your insightful input! I have been working on the Pentateuch mostly, but I am ready to explore more topics as time progresses. Have you decided which school to attend?

20 minutes ago, sacklunch said:

That's a nice list, well done. I would put Emory first. NYU is underrated on this subforum, though the problem there is funding. Unless you get some sort of extra fellowship money, surviving in NYC on their stipend is difficult. I know two PhD grads from NYU in another discipline in the humanities who left during the summers because of funding issues (they would sublet their rooms). Perhaps the department of interest has extra funds set aside for the summer?

Thank you, sacklunch! NYU has graciously offered me a summer stipend but only for three years . . . I am not sure whether a summer funding would help me much survive in NYC, tho. I have actually considered Brandeis as my top choice because of "fit" between my research interests and those of professors there. But, at the same time, I can agree with Kuriakos that "fit" and POI are not everything. The name or reputation often plays an important role in getting a job. I think Brandeis is certainly a top-tier program to study HB, but I become "uncertain" when it comes to a comparison with its peer institutions like Emory or JHU. Would you also prioritize "fit" over "name," or vice versa?

Is anybody else waiting on Toronto School of Theology? I saw some folks talking about U of T a few weeks back but haven’t seen anybody else waiting on TST (decisions are supposed to be issued at the end of the month). 

Relatedly, it seems like most of the major US programs have issued notifications at this point. Curious what notifications are still to come -- anybody still waiting on top choices?

Edited by sd_waco

1 hour ago, sd_waco said:

Is anybody else waiting on Toronto School of Theology? I saw some folks talking about U of T a few weeks back but haven’t seen anybody else waiting on TST (decisions are supposed to be issued at the end of the month). 

Relatedly, it seems like most of the major US programs have issued notifications at this point. Curious what notifications are still to come -- anybody still waiting on top choices?

I've yet to hear from 3 of the 5 programs I applied to, although I imagine I'm more likely between rejection and waitlist than admittance on any of them. I haven't seen many UNC postings in the results though.

2 hours ago, kay0213 said:

I will definitely ask Strawn about this. Thanks for your insightful input! I have been working on the Pentateuch mostly, but I am ready to explore more topics as time progresses. Have you decided which school to attend?

Thank you, sacklunch! NYU has graciously offered me a summer stipend but only for three years . . . I am not sure whether a summer funding would help me much survive in NYC, tho. I have actually considered Brandeis as my top choice because of "fit" between my research interests and those of professors there. But, at the same time, I can agree with Kuriakos that "fit" and POI are not everything. The name or reputation often plays an important role in getting a job. I think Brandeis is certainly a top-tier program to study HB, but I become "uncertain" when it comes to a comparison with its peer institutions like Emory or JHU. Would you also prioritize "fit" over "name," or vice versa?

Good points. As you said, Brandeis is well regarded in HB; but, as you also mentioned, schools like Emory or JHU are very well regarded inside and outside this narrow field. Recent research suggests, as you are likely aware, that the overall prestige of a school makes a big difference in getting a job (perhaps sometimes regardless of whether said school has a good program in one's field). I will say that when I was at a very similar crossroads I went with the big name school/department. In some ways my decision was easy, since the big school/department also had the biggest stipend (with the best weather, cost of living, and so on). But, at the time, I felt like I was 'selling out' because my fit seemed (felt) better elsewhere. In the end, I'm glad I didn't go with my gut; I am very happy at my current school/department. Good luck!

2 hours ago, sd_waco said:

Still waiting on Indiana University and the Chicago Div School. The wait is kind of maddening!

Does anyone have any insight into how much one's master's degree can hurt them when looking for employment upon completing a Ph.D.? Basically, I'm interested to know how much one's master's matters. I know how much a quality master's can help one get accepted into a TT Ph.D. program, but what about the person that comes out of a TT Ph.D. program having gone to a no-name denominational school for their master's? Does the person who went to a TT M* program and a TT Ph.D. program have a significant advantage?

Edited by Muse_

32 minutes ago, Muse_ said:

Does anyone have any insight into how much one's master's degree can hurt them when looking for employment upon completing a Ph.D.? Basically, I'm interested to know how much one's master's matters. I know how much a quality master's can help one get accepted into a TT Ph.D. program, but what about the person that comes out of a TT Ph.D. program having gone to a no-name denominational school for their master's? Does the person who went to a TT M* program and a TT Ph.D. program have a significant advantage?

I don't think it makes much of a difference. The edge would go to someone who went to a top 10 or 20 for undergraduate who also has a TT PhD. When you publish or give a talk you will often be introduced with your PhD granting institution, but usually one has to look at a CV to determine much more than that (though those who went to an ivy, especially for undergraduate, are encouraged to list their undergraduate institution on their department's homepage and/or their own personal website, etc.). This is all anecdotal evidence, however, and I could be wrong. I have spent many hours, cumulatively over the years, reading professional bios and CV's. Others should chime in to verify/qualify. 

I concur with @sacklunch. Profs that list their M* degree are generally doing it b/c it says Harvard, Yale, Duke, etc. If they also attended such a school for UG, they tend to put it too.

Pedigree matters when you hit the job market. I know Search Committees love what we call the Trinity - Ivy education for UG, M*, and PhD. Keep in mind that nearly every position will receive dozens of apps so anything that might, however remotely, give your school a bump is pursued. Trinity candidates are also quite rare and they tend to always land jobs at a fellow Ivy or major research university too, so they're competing for jobs that most of us will never survive the initial cutoff screening of.

14 hours ago, sd_waco said:

I heard two weeks ago from a professor there that they were putting together potential advisory committees for incoming PhD Candidates and that it would be soon.

42 minutes ago, iñigo508 said:

I heard two weeks ago from a professor there that they were putting together potential advisory committees for incoming PhD Candidates and that it would be soon.

Admissions at Wycliffe said admissions and bursary info would come together “at the end of the month” so I’m hoping that will be more like the 20th than the 28th. Sounds like there might not be a concrete deadline based on your correspondence. 

What college did you apply through?

10 minutes ago, sd_waco said:

Admissions at Wycliffe said admissions and bursary info would come together “at the end of the month” so I’m hoping that will be more like the 20th than the 28th. Sounds like there might not be a concrete deadline based on your correspondence. 

What college did you apply through?

I applied through Regis. Either way, though, it likely won't be today since its a national holiday in Canada. Good luck!! 

11 hours ago, xypathos said:

I concur with @sacklunch. Profs that list their M* degree are generally doing it b/c it says Harvard, Yale, Duke, etc. If they also attended such a school for UG, they tend to put it too.

Pedigree matters when you hit the job market. I know Search Committees love what we call the Trinity - Ivy education for UG, M*, and PhD. Keep in mind that nearly every position will receive dozens of apps so anything that might, however remotely, give your school a bump is pursued. Trinity candidates are also quite rare and they tend to always land jobs at a fellow Ivy or major research university too, so they're competing for jobs that most of us will never survive the initial cutoff screening of.

I wonder if that's true though... As much as I wish that were true (in the bold), I think everyone struggles to get a job out of the PhD, let alone at an Ivy or major research university...

Anyways, I'm trying not to think about it and actually enjoy getting accepted to a PhD program. But yeah, I've been reading this post by someone in philosophy, which is tempering my job (but not tempering it much, since I am on the moon regardless):

Here's what happened to my entering class of eight at U.C. Berkeley (ranked about #3 or 4 nationally at the time were were admitted): One dropped out after the first year, two dropped out after 7-9 years, two completed their degrees after 7-9 years but never found permanent teaching positions, one ended up at a respectable but not renowned liberal arts college (Marquette) after about 12 years of study, one went to SUNY Albany after 6 years of study (then later moved to U.T. Austin), and one (I myself) went to U.C. Riverside after 6 years of study,

I consider UC Berkeley an Ivy League equivalent like Duke... 

But, perhaps philosophy is rougher than the study of religion, as far as job prospects? (And of course, I don't know if any of those people were "trinity" graduates, so maybe my example is irrelevant to what you were saying.) 

Furthermore, Berkeley (at least at an undergraduate level) is known for not fostering its students, i.e. there is very little support for students to succeed.

Edited by Averroes MD

On 2/18/2018 at 9:43 PM, sacklunch said:

Good points. As you said, Brandeis is well regarded in HB; but, as you also mentioned, schools like Emory or JHU are very well regarded inside and outside this narrow field. Recent research suggests, as you are likely aware, that the overall prestige of a school makes a big difference in getting a job (perhaps sometimes regardless of whether said school has a good program in one's field). I will say that when I was at a very similar crossroads I went with the big name school/department. In some ways my decision was easy, since the big school/department also had the biggest stipend (with the best weather, cost of living, and so on). But, at the time, I felt like I was 'selling out' because my fit seemed (felt) better elsewhere. In the end, I'm glad I didn't go with my gut; I am very happy at my current school/department. Good luck!

Your advice was very insightful. It really helped me rethink my decision. Thank you so much!

16 hours ago, thiscalltoarms said:

Someone just posted Harvard took no NT or OT candidates this year. Do we know anything about systematics yet????

Someone claimed a theology offer on the 13th of February. They never posted in the forum to confirm it though. I also applied and I think we can expect some sort of word this week... 

11 minutes ago, ugh2017 said:

Someone claimed a theology offer on the 13th of February. They never posted in the forum to confirm it though. I also applied and I think we can expect some sort of word this week... 

... Isn't this a long time between decisions and notifications? 

16 minutes ago, thiscalltoarms said:

... Isn't this a long time between decisions and notifications? 

When I spoke with a professor there he said that they are always among the last schools to notify. My suspicion is that the faculty submitted names to GSAS for admission last week, and there's a delay while GSAS does its work to extend offers. But, all of that could be wrong, and people just aren't posting on the forum. Offers may have already gone out to more than just Averroes and we could be in line for a rejection any day now! 

10 minutes ago, ugh2017 said:

When I spoke with a professor there he said that they are always among the last schools to notify. My suspicion is that the faculty submitted names to GSAS for admission last week, and there's a delay while GSAS does its work to extend offers. But, all of that could be wrong, and people just aren't posting on the forum. Offers may have already gone out to more than just Averroes and we could be in line for a rejection any day now! 

Someone else on this forum messaged me about an acceptance. I think they have all been sent out although maybe If it goes down the wait list, who knows...

also I got the official email from GSAS and so did the other person. We are now waiting for the admission packet in snail mail. 

Edited by Averroes MD

59 minutes ago, Fontanabush said:

Best Wishes to all those who got in to a program. With the GSAS letters coming today from Harvard I didn't make it in to any of my places this season, but "there's always next year." Enjoy the off season.

Sorry to hear that @Fontanabush. If it’s of any use there are several ThM and similar programs at top schools still taking apps. Faculty notified me today at BC that they haven’t exhausted all of their full ride scholarships for STM and don’t anticipate doing so as of yet.