PhD Applications Fall '18 Season

Epaphroditus

On 2/28/2018 at 7:33 AM, sjca14 said:

Does anyone happen to know anything about Georgetown? If so, feel free to message me :)

So a week later—has anyone heard anything from Georgetown’s theology program?

44 minutes ago, kkel said:

I've not heard anything yet. Based on the results page it looks like some years they haven't announced until March 16, while last year I received a wait list email from Georgetown on February 16. 

Has anyone gotten a *rejection* from Notre Dame? I see that there are some acceptances and waitlists. I fully expect a rejection since I didn't get an interview, but nothing's come through.  

22 hours ago, kkel said:

This is a rough wait and it is getting harder for me to believe they haven't sent out any informal or formal acceptances yet.

Per a faculty member, they're dealing with a current lawsuit at Georgetown that is making them be particularly careful in their review and how they notify applicants going forward. I naturally presume this is the lawsuit that is being referenced: http://www.thehoya.com/applicant-files-age-discrimination-lawsuit-georgetown-admissions/

18 minutes ago, xypathos said:

Per a faculty member, they're dealing with a current lawsuit at Georgetown that is making them be particularly careful in their review and how they notify applicants going forward. I naturally presume this is the lawsuit that is being referenced: http://www.thehoya.com/applicant-files-age-discrimination-lawsuit-georgetown-admissions/

Thanks a lot for the info —got to be difficult stuff to sort through. 

6 hours ago, xypathos said:

1. There is no guarantee that he would’ve gotten in had he been in his twenties.

2. But he did not stand a chance of getting in due to his age. 

I sorta hope he wins. Age discrimination definitely exists. So does being discriminated against for being “overqualified”. 

Yea, three separate articles cited that a faculty told him that his app was rejected because of his age, one specifically said they told him by email. That was just a stupid mistake on their part - you never give a specific reason, opens the door for a lawsuit.

4 hours ago, xypathos said:

Yea, three separate articles cited that a faculty told him that his app was rejected because of his age, one specifically said they told him by email. That was just a stupid mistake on their part - you never give a specific reason, opens the door for a lawsuit.

But that’s not the real issue. The real issue is that age discrimination exists, not that it should or should not be covered up. 

If age discrimination is justified, then the age limit should be in the rules to apply and you shouldn’t take people’s hard earned money and time for the application. 

If there is no age limit to apply, then they shouldn’t discriminate based on age. 

Edited by Averroes MD

I concur, age discrimination absolutely exists and it shouldn't. I just don't see a way to easily get rid of it. Some schools employ a blind review process (name, schools, age, addresses, etc are removed from the file that faculty look over) but most don't and even those that do, there's still bugs in the system.

On 3/8/2018 at 3:05 AM, Er.c said:

can anyone claim the acceptance from McGill? I just saw it was unofficial acceptance. I'm on the same position. Did you receive the official letter in the meantime ? If yes, it was with funding? 

Yes that was me! I still haven't gotten an official letter or any information about funding. 

On 3/2/2018 at 5:16 PM, JDD said:

I have a question for the anxious Ph.D hopefuls in this thread: how much does the reputation of the school where you earned your masters matter when it comes time to apply for Ph.D programs? Does a competitive masters program translate into significantly improved odds for admission into an elite Ph.D program? Does it have more to do with your professional resume/publications?

missed this before, but my experience: it definitely matters, especially depending on the perceived quality of your undergrad. go to the best MA you can. if not funded, go to best MA with funding.

Additionally, one of my current colleagues was accepted to their "Religion, Textuality, and Cultural Imagination" track, and he did not have an interview. I applied for the South Asia track, and absolutely no word so far. The FAQ on their admissions site says that they notify no later than early March, so I feel like it could be any day now if that's true. 

13 hours ago, Shmandy said:

I saw one SLU interview post back in late January or early February, but I didn't get an interview and I haven't heard anything at all.

I noticed that too. What's your program? Mine is Historical Theology.

For those waiting to hear from Georgetown's Theological and Religious Studies Program: I emailed the Director of Grad Studies and he replied yesterday, saying that they hope to finalize decisions this week. I'm trying to not read too much into that either way.

Edited by Theobuckeye

3 hours ago, Shmandy said:

I applied to the new Christianity in Antiquity program.

I also was applied to the xianity in antiquity program. Still not a peep from SLU, though.

Edited by brentthewalrus

Fielding input from those with experience or knowledge of others’ experiences:

When does the US waitlist domino process typically begin? I’m on a couple and I know that I’m ranked at the top of one, so I’m optimistic about sliding in there soon after the shuffle starts, but the uncertainty and waiting is exhausting, and I have other non-US deadlines that are, unfortunately, coming up prior to April 15. 

Edited by sd_waco

45 minutes ago, sd_waco said:

Fielding input from those with experience or knowledge of others’ experiences:

When does the US waitlist domino process typically begin? I’m on a couple and I know that I’m ranked at the top of one, so I’m optimistic about sliding in there soon after the shuffle starts, but the uncertainty and waiting is exhausting, and I have other non-US deadlines that are, unfortunately, coming up prior to April 15. 

I'm not sure there's a hard and fast rule here, but I think, generally, the closer you get to April 15, the more quickly things start to open up (or close off as the case may be.) Unfortunately some people sit on their offers for a long time as they weigh options and don't decide until the deadline--which you can't really fault someone for, especially if it's a tough choice and/or there are family factors, etc. But for people in a waitlist situation, it sucks.

I know this isn't super helpful, but I think it's good to know that you likely have a tough decision ahead of you. There are some things you can do to see if it can be made easier in any way though. Sometimes schools who don't abide by the CGS Resolution (e.g. seminaries) are understanding, though I really couldn't say about international schools. It would be worth contacting the schools from whom you have offers and see if there is any way at all they can extend the deadline for you. At this level, if you've been admitted, they want you to come and they're going to fight for you to come. There is usually much more flexibility to negotiate a little bit at the PhD level than other levels of higher education. The other thing you can do is contact the schools with whom you're waitlisted and ask them for some honesty about your chances. Departments will often tell you straight up whether or not you have a chance of being admitted. You may know some about your waitlists already, but it would be good to know whether the list is ranked, if so, what position you are. If not, is it a big waitlist or a shortlist? Assuming you would definitely accept one of the offers you have abroad if it weren't for these waitlists, knowing this information could make your decision for you. I.e. if you're one of ten people on an unranked list or tenth of ten on a ranked list (even third or fourth) and none of the international schools will give you a deadline extension, then take an offer you have.

Of course, if you're #1 on the list of a department you'd really like to get into, then all you can really do is hope the other schools will give you more time to make your decision, or that you get bumped up before the deadline.

Any thoughts on the reputation of Radboud University (Netherlands)? I submitted a late (by US standards) application after looking over the website and being assured by a prof there that they have generous scholarships specifically for US students. As well, should you not get it their annual tuition is cheaper than a 3-credit course at most colleges.

Well, I found out was I accepted and extended a stipend of 25k euro, so just over 30k USD. The university has extended an offer for housing at 750 euro a month which seems reasonable.

Teaching in the US would be ideal but I don't "have to." Going abroad for a while seems really tempting too. It's stay at Villanova, FSU, or Radboud for the time being.