PhD Applications Fall '18 Season

Epaphroditus

10 hours ago, MonkeyMagic said:

I think I should post an update as well...I was offered an interview at Baylor (Old Testament). Finally I see some light after a series of rejections...Anyone going to the interview?

Congrats! Do you know if other fields were already offered interviews as well?

5 hours ago, Hopeless_Academic said:

Congrats! Do you know if other fields were already offered interviews as well?

Thanks. Honestly I am not sure about other fields...sorry that I cannot provide you with helpful information. Based on my observation of the last year's cycle, they seem to send out invitations around the same time. Nonetheless, nothing is certain. So I encourage you: do not lose hope!

27 minutes ago, MonkeyMagic said:

Thanks. Honestly I am not sure about other fields...sorry that I cannot provide you with helpful information. Based on my observation of the last year's cycle, they seem to send out invitations around the same time. Nonetheless, nothing is certain. So I encourage you: do not lose hope!

No worries. As it so happens, I just received notification that I was invited to Baylor's preview weekend!Ā 

So, I saw someone got an interview for OT on January 5thĀ at Baylor and expected to get rejected after that. But as it turns out, I just got an invite to interview weekend as well! And since there are two OT positions there, I can wish you the best of luck, MonkeyMagic, and sincerely mean it! Congrats, you guys!

Edited by Almaqah Thwn

9 minutes ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

So, I saw someone got an interview for OT on January 5thĀ at Baylor and expected to get rejected after that. But as it turns out, I just got an invite to interview weekend as well! And since there are two OT positions there, I can wish you the best of luck, MonkeyMagic, and sincerely mean it! Congrats, you guys!

Thanks, Almaqah Thwn! And congratulations to you, too! I alsoĀ wishĀ you the best of luck for the interview! Huzzah! :)

On 1/7/2018 at 7:09 PM, Hopeless_Academic said:

Thought I should post an update since I started this thread. I got an email yesterday afternoon for a Skype interview at Princeton Seminary! Finally, some news. I'm applying for NT.

Related to this - any advice on these kinds of interviews? I was told it would be short, maybe 10 minutes.

Congratulations! Do you know if PTS has extended interview offersĀ for other fields? I wish you the best of luck in the interview!

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Run said:

Historically, Biblical Studies is the only department that consistently interviews (I think Religion and Society does too)

Rabbit Run, thanks for your reply! My field is Hebrew Bible. Do you think the HB faculty has already extended interview offers toĀ applicants?Ā 

I wish I had school to take my mind off waiting!

However I am sitting at work, with a computer and GradCafe/email open alllllllll day long. And itsĀ the worst. I'm going on vacation soon, so that should help some, but for now I'm always monitoring/feeling anxious!

Hi all,Ā 

Late to this thread, but I applied to Duke, Duke Div, Harvard, Yale, PTS, Emory, Vandy, and ND.

HadĀ a phone call with Yale and received an email from Emory expressing interest but radio silence from everywhere else.

Has anyone heard anything from the others? I saw PTS extended invites, so that's a bummer for me. Hoping Duke will express interest...

Greetings all!

I'm new to this thread as well. Have apps out to Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, UVA, Vanderbilt, Boston U and UNC Chapel Hill. Had some phone chats with Harvard, UNC, UVA, Stanford, and Vanderbilt people back in the fall, but haven't heard much since.Ā 

My M.Div is from PTS ('16) and as I remember itĀ theirĀ visit days for prospective PhD candidates are as much a recruiting tool as they are a way of weeding through the the list, and I definitely knew students who were admitted without a visit.Ā 

Hi @xypathosĀ and @ShewantsthePhD101, congrats on your acceptances at FSU!Ā  I'm in REP here currently (in my third year), so feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.Ā  Again, congrats!Ā  And isn't it nice when schools send out acceptances early!

Pax,

Luke

I just heard from Emory as well (interview invitation for Hebrew Bible). For those of you who are Grad Cafe pros, is that something I post in the results section or only here?Ā 

Also, does anyone know what timelines have been in the past for Duke, Vandy, or ND? Patience is not my strong suit...!

46 minutes ago, msdb said:

I just heard from Emory as well (interview invitation for Hebrew Bible). For those of you who are Grad Cafe pros, is that something I post in the results section or only here?Ā 

Also, does anyone know what timelines have been in the past for Duke, Vandy, or ND? Patience is not my strong suit...!

Congrats! It's entirely up to you whether you want to post it in the results section or not, though it's helpful for current and future applicants. I'm guessing all the fields were contacted, so that's a bummer for me. Ah well, the waiting continues!