PhD Applications Fall '18 Season

Epaphroditus

Hello all,

Frequent lurker, first time poster who has joined the community so I can share my anxiety with others.

Do we know whether or not Duke GPR has sent out interview invites yet? I saw someone said "early February," but I wasn't sure if that was last week or this week. Also, has the person accepted into UNC posted here?

20 minutes ago, Shmandy said:

Hello all,

Frequent lurker, first time poster who has joined the community so I can share my anxiety with others.

Do we know whether or not Duke GPR has sent out interview invites yet? I saw someone said "early February," but I wasn't sure if that was last week or this week. Also, has the person accepted into UNC posted here?

I asked Carol Rush at Duke and she said all interview invites have already gone out.

UVA waitlist update, for any concerned:

- April 15 is the deadline for those who have been offered admission to make a decision.
- Anecdotally, most decisions have typically been made and waitlisters are usually contacted again (for better or worse) around mid-March.
- No indication of exactly how long/broad/wide the waitlist may be.
- It's not a strictly ordered list; it sounds like they leave it fluid in order to fill it out with the appropriate diversity, etc. as decisions are made. 

I'm waitlist for Theology, Ethics, and Culture (TEC); I've seen a couple for JCA -- anybody aware of other folks on the list?

3 minutes ago, ugh2017 said:

This empty post was an accident, but funny responses to it. 

Fun fact: Vanderbilt's acceptance letters are actually sent out early in the form of cryptic seemingly-blank posts on the grad cafe. The first applicant to break the code receives an additional stipend during their duration of study. 

I know I can’t get super bummed out about getting rejected by Chicago or take it too personally. It’s a really good school. But I’m super bummed out about the rejection I just got.

Edited by KA.DINGER.RA

1 hour ago, KA.DINGER.RA said:

I know I can’t get super bummed out about getting rejected by Chicago or take it too personally. It’s a really good school. But I’m super bummed out about the rejection I just got.

I am just lurking here (prospective M.Div) but man, congrats on UW! In this field ANY PhD acceptance is huge given the hundreds of apps that come in for a few spots. :)

4 minutes ago, ChristoWitch87 said:

I am just lurking here (prospective M.Div) but man, congrats on UW! In this field ANY PhD acceptance is huge given the hundreds of apps that come in for a few spots. :)

Thanks! I'm not really taking it too hard. I just had a good feeling about it so I was surprised to be rejected so early in the game. UW is definitely an excellent program. Their newer HB faculty are amazing.

10 hours ago, Muse_ said:

Hi all, I just made an account and found this page. I received an offer of admission from University of Toronto's Department for the Study of Religion.

Congrats, Muse! What stream did you apply to? 

On 2/3/2018 at 9:48 AM, ugh2017 said:

Can someone confirm that BC sent out offers? When I interviewed with them they said it would be middle of February before GSAS made offers. 

Hi, I got an email offering acceptance from BC last Friday (2/2)... way before I was expecting it. It was from the director of graduate studies, and a faculty member in my area was copied. I imagine they give themselves until mid-February to get everything out? Don't give up the ship!

On 2/3/2018 at 10:46 AM, xypathos said:

It seems off but I can't confirm/deny it. No one has claimed an acceptance on the Results forum and they were still interviewing candidates last week, per an internal calendar. It's possible that they notified a couple of high priority candidates but BC notifies by phone calls, not emails - it's not their standard procedure.

How bizarre... maybe this indicates a change in their process? I got the email, responded saying thanks, and the faculty member copied on the email responded to me. They said a mailed packet is forthcoming... hasn't yet arrived (but I live very far from Boston).

So I finally signed up for an account because lurking was crushing my soul.*

Does anyone with experience or connections know if it is weird that we've seen no systematic theology interviews yet at Yale or PTS?

*Wait, I'm a non-reductive physicalist. Hmmm.

Edited by thiscalltoarms

2 hours ago, thiscalltoarms said:

Does anyone with experience or connections know if it is weird that we've seen no systematic theology interviews yet at Yale or PTS?

PTS theology does not do interviews (though other disciplines do), according to a friend currently in the program. Notifications go out at the end of February.

4 hours ago, thiscalltoarms said:

Yale theology interviews - minimal ones -  have been done. 

12 hours ago, KA.DINGER.RA said:

If any other ND PhD Hebrew Bible interviewees would be amendable to snagging a beer outside of official planned activities, shoot me a PM and I will set something up for us ( *sigh* I guess if you NT folk want to come, you can).

Is ND's preview weekend this weekend? I'm attending Baylor's this weekend, but I'll raise one for you halfway across the US, given the opportunity.

Also, if ND's interviews are this weekend, for future applicants, it may be good to note that if you get interviewed at Baylor and ND that you may have to choose between the two...

28 minutes ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

Is ND's preview weekend this weekend? I'm attending Baylor's this weekend, but I'll raise one for you halfway across the US, given the opportunity.

Also, if ND's interviews are this weekend, for future applicants, it may be good to note that if you get interviewed at Baylor and ND that you may have to choose between the two...

It's not for a couple of weeks. I was just mentioning it in advance because I know people might check this infrequently.

9 hours ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

Well, dang. Then if you want to come crash Baylor's preview weekend by chance...

A couple of my fellow Notre Dame people will indeed be there. They are awesome people, as I'm sure you will come to know!