MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

56 minutes ago, Rennnnn said:

Congrats!!! Which program did you apply?

Art&tech

52 minutes ago, marlonk said:

Awesome! Still holding out hope for some UCLA emails today. 

Oh noes, are they usually today? Or is it dependent on the program? I think for design media arts the website say review starts at feb ??v

7 minutes ago, Makerak said:

Art&tech

Oh noes, are they usually today? Or is it dependent on the program? I think for design media arts the website say review starts at feb ??v

thanks for the info, I don't know. I can't find any other info except the info from a friend. She was contacted for interview last year on last week of Jan, for Photography MFA.

Hi all, 

I've not seen much (or any) mention of the schools I applied to, so I was wondering if anyone had heard any news from these schools:

UGA

UNC Chapel Hill

UC Boulder

U Oregon

UMN Twin Cities

I also applied to Tulane and UN Lincoln, but as their deadlines are later I'm not quite as anxious about those yet. I was notified last year of being waitlisted at UGA on 1/31, so my stomach is in knots having not heard anything from them by this point :unsure: Also, I am applying in printmaking - it seems my field is underrepresented on this thread!

53 minutes ago, marlonk said:

thanks for the info, I don't know. I can't find any other info except the info from a friend. She was contacted for interview last year on last week of Jan, for Photography MFA.

I am also waiting for UCLA :(

16 minutes ago, hegelmadness said:

I wouldn't be too upset, this is the kind of students they admit:

It's worse than zombie formalism. 

There is nothing wrong with this work, it's rude to post links to others work and criticize it because it's not your aesthetic. It sucks to not get an interview, but you don't need to drag others in the process. 

Edited by OldMFA

5 minutes ago, OldMFA said:

Cool, good luck with yr interview. Maybe you can learn something from these peers if you get into the program. 

Agreed that giving specific examples is not the kindest - it is hard to articulate points without doing so sometimes. 

My point is that Yale doesn't seem to be the institution it was 10 years ago. 

13 minutes ago, hegelmadness said:

I wouldn't be too upset, this is the kind of students they admit:

http://www.rebeccalness.com/#/the-election/

http://www.anabenaroya.com

http://art.yale.edu/KimberlyAltomare

It's worse than zombie formalism. 

this is completely unnecessary and not a good look if somehow the adcom figure out who you are. also, it's fine if you think "yale doesn't seem to be the institution it was 10 years ago", however, why the fuck did you apply there in the first place?

4 minutes ago, cottonbuds100pcs said:

this is completely unnecessary and not a good look if somehow the adcom figure out who you are. also, it's fine if you think "yale doesn't seem to be the institution it was 10 years ago", however, why the fuck did you apply there in the first place?

did you notice how they are all female painters? 

3 minutes ago, hegelmadness said:

sigh, going to sign off here - harmony is what's needed for this community at this time. good luck everyone with your interviews/ admission! 

nah, you got justifiably called out because you were being a dick to some of the current grad students at yale because you deem their works lame. it's almost as if you forgot art criticism 101 entirely

Some people just take rejection harder than others and need an outlet. I'd love to go to Yale but hopefully another school will work out. I think everything happens for a reason -- in the very least to keep us humble but in the most because a better path is out there. Trying to stay positive :)

4 hours ago, Paintyface said:

Some people just take rejection harder than others and need an outlet. I'd love to go to Yale but hopefully another school will work out. I think everything happens for a reason -- in the very least to keep us humble but in the most because a better path is out there. Trying to stay positive :)

Yes! :wub:

I haven't posted on here in a while, but I realized earlier today this was probably the night Yale interview decisions would be sent out. I applied last year and got rejected; that weekend was a total bummer, but in the subsequent weeks as I began producing new work I became really excited about the direction it was going in, and over the last year I feel my work was matured and progressed exponentially. I didn't apply this year but very likely will next year, but I wanted to write this post in case anyone here is feeling bummed out from a rejection to let them know that this feeling will pass, and please keep up the hard work. 

P.S., congrats to the users on here who've landed interviews thus far!