MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Vimeo play count is going up -- most referred url is review.slideroom - hopefully this means I'll at least know something soon. 

Good read in the meantime: The Value of Things by Neil Cummings and Marysia Lewandowska  (preface _ part 1 here): http://www.neilcummings.com/bitcache/4b5aa834a6039413e8fb712a174a0d9daf3dec93?vid=2987&disposition=inline&op=view

Edited by let_me_in
additional info

Recently applied to Rutgers, the deadline was January 13th so I made sure everything was submitted on time. However it turned out one of my recommends did not submit their letter to the slideroom but did submit it to the university graduate admissions itself. When I called the art department later on I asked them if that was an issue and they told me yes because they are not able to see it. So I contacted the graduate school and the woman I spoke with saw that it was uploaded on time and everything so she kindly told me should would make sure the art department attach it to my documentation and that I would receive an email confirming that. Well, I never got that email and I don't want to press my luck calling back. Anyone know if there is there a chance they were able to successfully see the 3rd letter of recommendation, or the lady just told me what I wanted to hear. All thoughts/experiences appreciated. 

10 minutes ago, AndrewN said:

Recently applied to Rutgers, the deadline was January 13th so I made sure everything was submitted on time. However it turned out one of my recommends did not submit their letter to the slideroom but did submit it to the university graduate admissions itself. When I called the art department later on I asked them if that was an issue and they told me yes because they are not able to see it. So I contacted the graduate school and the woman I spoke with saw that it was uploaded on time and everything so she kindly told me should would make sure the art department attach it to my documentation and that I would receive an email confirming that. Well, I never got that email and I don't want to press my luck calling back. Anyone know if there is there a chance they were able to successfully see the 3rd letter of recommendation, or the lady just told me what I wanted to hear. All thoughts/experiences appreciated. 

When I was checking my Rutgers app after submission, I noticed that I also had a missing rec. I emailed Daonne and she told me that one of my recs had been uploaded to slideroom instead of the university application. She said she would transfer the letter between the two portals. I did receive a confirmation email with my Application ID number. I would definitely follow up if you're unsure and it's an important school for you - if it's an admin issue then it's probably not too late to fix :)

@AndrewN I requested all my recommendations on the general application instead of slideroom, when I called the art department to see if this was an issue, I was told to just put my own email on the slideroom recommendation request areas. Now on slideroom it says all my recommendations were submitted on January 25th which is way later than when my professors had completed them so I figure the department just switched the recommendations over to slideroom for me. 

9 minutes ago, Paintyface said:

When I was checking my Rutgers app after submission, I noticed that I also had a missing rec. I emailed Daonne and she told me that one of my recs had been uploaded to slideroom instead of the university application. She said she would transfer the letter between the two portals. I did receive a confirmation email with my Application ID number. I would definitely follow up if you're unsure and it's an important school for you - if it's an admin issue then it's probably not too late to fix :)

Thank you, this is just the push I needed to send out an email. Its one of my dream schools so I just want everything to be perfect. Thanks for the info!

16 minutes ago, hduggan said:

@AndrewN I requested all my recommendations on the general application instead of slideroom, when I called the art department to see if this was an issue, I was told to just put my own email on the slideroom recommendation request areas. Now on slideroom it says all my recommendations were submitted on January 25th which is way later than when my professors had completed them so I figure the department just switched the recommendations over to slideroom for me. 

That's interesting, when I reached out to them the first time they told me no problem they can just switch it over. But around the due date they told me it was too late and they were reviewing applications at that moment I called...hopefully they switched it over at some point when I called admissions since it was technically uploaded on time.

13 minutes ago, AndrewN said:

That's interesting, when I reached out to them the first time they told me no problem they can just switch it over. But around the due date they told me it was too late and they were reviewing applications at that moment I called...hopefully they switched it over at some point when I called admissions since it was technically uploaded on time.

I was just sifting through my inbox to double check dates. Although I emailed regarding the missing rec on the 12th (which was the due date for supplementary materials including recommendations) and was told it was received in slideroom -- it shows up in my app as being submitted on the 16th, so obviously there is a delay on their admin side. I think it's worth calling just for your own peace of mind but you're probably ok.

11 hours ago, icw said:

Just out of curiosity did they ask you for an interview at all? I have not heard anything from them. I think they're moving onto other applicants.

No interview, if it's any help I applied to the sculpture department, they might have different notification dates. And they also said they would contact me with more info within two weeks. There is still hope! Best of luck!

Hi! Congrats to everyone who got interview calls! Everyone else, hold on, I'm sure calls are on their way :)

Any advice for interview with MICA for Graphic Design? I've applied for the first time and this is going to be my first interview. Any tips will help, thanks! :D

18 hours ago, jailcowboy said:

Hey all, 

First time posting, first year applying. I was recently very surprised to get an interview in person at SAIC and at Yale (Painting). Does anyone know much the interview process for either of these schools? Both schools were specific to an extent about what they want you to bring. I heard rumor Yale wants you to bring all new work, is this true? 

Also, does anyone know when I might hear back about interviews from these schools?

RISD

CalArts

UCLA

UT Austin

VCU

Thank you to everyone and best of luck. Do not forget that this is an arbitrary process!

This was several years ago but, for what it’s worth, a good friend of mine who was later accepted to Yale made all new work for his interview. No pressure ??

I feel like that is a question you shouldn’t worry about asking your point of contact there. At this stage they are interested in you so you shouldn’t feel like you are harassing them or anything.

good luck and congrats!

Hey everyone! 

Has anyone applied to the University of Miami's MFA Studio Art program? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to upload my CV and my Teaching Assistantship application form through the Accepted site (similar to SlideRoom). The program's description of the required application materials on the Department of Art and Art History page says that the CV and Teaching Assistantship forms should be uploaded through Accepted, rather than the general graduate school application that needs to be filled out and submitted separately. So far I've only found links to upload images and a personal statement. I've tried calling and emailing the art department admissions office and keep getting sent to voicemail. Not sure what to do really. lol  

Congrats to everyone getting interviews!

54 minutes ago, darsenbehelm said:

?  - still waiting to hear back from UCLA, UCSB and USF!! 

REJECTED Yale 

I am still waiting to hear back from USF as well.

I went to NYU for undergrad and I knew a lot of the MFAs. Super small program with great faculty and amazing visiting artists (students are in charge of that program) but also very verry expensive with little financial aid. Located in east village which is also great.

4 hours ago, thirdtimesthecharm said:

Hey all!

What are your thoughts on NYU’s painting program? Do you know someone that went there? What was their experience? Success after graduating? Thanks in advance! ☺️

Hang in there fellow applicants! This is a very tough process! Hoping we have more answers this week. ?

19 minutes ago, amberf95 said:

I received an email from USF yesterday. Rejected, but not surprised. Not my best application.

I am sorry to hear that. I still have not heard anything so I don't know what that means. Prob rejected too. I don't think it is my best either. Best of luck to you though.

I actually just checked my mail and USF sent me a prospective MFA packet. It is actually a pretty nice packet. Although I am pretty confused as to why they sent it. I just want to know my app stats

10 minutes ago, icw said:

I am sorry to hear that. I still have not heard anything so I don't know what that means. Prob rejected too. I don't think it is my best either. Best of luck to you though.

I called USF today to ask about the applications and they told me they are still reviewing this week and I should expect to hear back from them by the end of the month with their decision either way.

43 minutes ago, icw said:

I actually just checked my mail and USF sent me a prospective MFA packet. It is actually a pretty nice packet. Although I am pretty confused as to why they sent it. I just want to know my app stats

I received that same packet about a month ago.  I wish you luck, because it's a good program.