MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

4 minutes ago, ackno said:

Speaking from no authority other than knowing someone who once taught at SAIC Film/Video, I've heard that they are an "Accept many, offer scholarships to few" type of program. He told me the interview is mostly a 'get to know you' thing. And I imagine a 'make sure you're not an asshole' thing. So not to get any hopes up since maybe things have changed since he's been there and I'm not sure entirely how well adjunct faculty have a concept of admissions particulars anyway, but for Film/Video at least it seems like he's telling me Interview invites (can) bode well for acceptances.

my hopes are kinda up now. thanks for the insight. 

3 hours ago, BradleyMpainting said:

I've heard from Boston U and received an interview in painting. Anyone else bummed about IU Bloomington not taking painters?

As a side note for anyone looking for last second apps to send out, the MFA at the program where I am for my BFA (Edinboro University PA)  is still open until March and is a great figurative painting program. Faculty includes graduates of Yale, SVA, BU, Cornell, Syracuse, NYAA and Berkeley. Guaranteed tuition waiver+ GA with stipend. It's really unheard of which I think is a shame. 

Also still open for print, metals and sculpture.

http://www.edinboro.edu/academics/schools-and-departments/graduate-studies/programs/painting/

peep myself and some of the current painters on the gram 

Benfrederickart

Bradleympaintings

Shane_eugene

yurie.h.1221

Congrats on the interview! I have an interview with Boston for painting too!

YES, I am so sad about Indiana... It seems like a great program.

1 hour ago, Tomcat said:

also rejected from hunter

also feeling p bad

:wacko:

feel like yale was a fluke for me 

Every program is different and they're looking for different people every year. The way I've heard it best described is the faculty are curating their MFA students, so not only do they look at your work but also they consider you and how your work/personality would fit into their image of the program that year in combo with the work of those already in the program and the other applicants they are considering for interviews. Don't feel bad. & getting an interview at Yale is dope

12 minutes ago, haunted cornfield said:

Did you not have to interview for SAIC's Low-Res Program?

I didn't interview for the low-res, but I did meet with them in person for their Graduate Day in my city, so we talked fairly extensively about the program and my work during that meeting. Thinking that definitely helped. 

Still interviewing for the Performance Art MFA program at SAIC on Feb 17th. The full time/low-res conundrum is one I'm still wrestling with. 

When and how do rejections come out?...So people without access to this forum who haven’t received interviews are rejected and just don’t know it?...it seems like a school wouldn’t want to delay the process 

22 minutes ago, MFAAFM said:

When and how do rejections come out?...So people without access to this forum who haven’t received interviews are rejected and just don’t know it?...it seems like a school wouldn’t want to delay the process 

Each school is different. For instance Yale sends out interviews and rejections at the same time, which is kind of nice because everyone knows their status at pretty much the same time. I think Northwestern has a similar process. It seems like most schools for example Columbia send out interview requests first and then later in March send out the rejections, so it's safe to say if you didn't get an interview request from late Jan- middle/late February then you are most likely rejected. However some schools (very few) accept applicants without conducting interviews. And then of course you could always be waitlisted without an interview and find out later in March/April. I think Cornell does this. Also it is usually by email however some schools call. Hope that helps clarify the process, but it really comes down to the school. You can look at past forum posts and get an idea of how each school operates.  All the best to you!

Edited by thirdtimesthecharm

this is true. i got rejected by hunter and bard last year and i was pretty bummed, but it happens. they're top ten schools for a reason, and there are a lot of unknown factors that go into the decision to reject someone. 

i was a studio assistant for an artist that got rejected by Yale five years in a row, so he ended up going to Hunter. he now makes a living off his work and things worked out very well for him. 

*was referring to magglywaggly's post

Edited by AngryHarold

8 minutes ago, anxxx said:

Columbia interview request via email!! I applied for New Genres. Sounds like they are taking place all day February 23rd...

Haven't heard anything from Hunter yet...have ppls application status changed in the portal?

Congrats!!!! In your slideroom columbia status, does it say New Genres MFA or New Genres? Ppl say if you get rejected the MFA disappears....

I think I got rejected :(

18 minutes ago, Makerak said:

Congrats!!!! In your slideroom columbia status, does it say New Genres MFA or New Genres? Ppl say if you get rejected the MFA disappears....

It says "2018 New Genres MFA" 

@rebkhan

im new genres so im getting pretty no vibe so probs wont bother calling also i hate phones and wouldnt know who to call

congrats to @anxxx thou!!!

27 minutes ago, Makerak said:

and yeah i lost the "mfa" part of my slideroom app so im gonna stick with the no