MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

5 hours ago, Lowfire815 said:

Right?? I feel like maybe we have 1 more week not to freak too bad. Maybe? It’s kind of become an obsession for me to check the application portals and mail box now. 

I heard back from UMN, I got waitlisted for their Printmaking department. I'm not sure if their school is sending out notifications by department though.

42 minutes ago, Kvir said:

I also applied to Edinboro, but for sculpture. Nothing yet! 

Good luck!

Oh nice! Good luck to you! I read somewhere,  or someone posted, that they sent stuff out around Feb 20th last year or the year before. So fingers crossed this year will be the same.??

26 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I heard back from UMN, I got waitlisted for their Printmaking department. I'm not sure if their school is sending out notifications by department though.

Oh wow congrats!! When did you hear? How did they let you? (Email, application portal, snail mail?)

1 hour ago, quickpic said:

just got an interview for Cranbrook in the photo MFA program. for anyone whose been through this before is this unusual? i thought they were one of the few non-interview schools... maybe they are changing that this year? also anyone heard from CalArts yet?

I just read about that on their website:

"Some departments schedule interviews for top candidates, asking them to come to campus to meet with the Department Head and students in the department; some candidates may be contacted for a Skype interview. Not all departments hold formal interview sessions, but those that do will contact selected students directly"

@designer456 You can, yes! In the email there were two separate links to book an interview, one for the on campus and one for the skype. I went ahead and booked an on campus interview because I think it'd be great to see the campus / Baltimore. I know the answer to my own question from before by the way, if other people are wondering. For on campus interviews they want you to bring 2-3 pieces of work with you and the size of the work doesn't matter. Congrats to you too! I applied to the LeRoy E. Hoffberger School of Painting. What program are you interviewing for? 

8 hours ago, Paintpaintpaint said:

Howdy y'all. I got rejected from all 4 programs last year. This year:

university of tennessee: accepted

cu boulder: interview upcoming

univ. Of arkasas: interviewed 

tulane: haven't heard back

Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats on the interviews, and acceptance! I’m waiting to hear from Boulder ?

So what do you guys think between going to a school that’s free plus stipend with assistanships but three years, compared to going to a two year college that you have to pay for but maybe more prestigious? Say hunter, temple or pafa, vs LSU, UDel, or UF ? 

3 minutes ago, charoarte said:

So what do you guys think between going to a school that’s free plus stipend with assistanships but three years, compared to going to a two year college that you have to pay for but maybe more prestigious? Say hunter, temple or pafa, vs LSU, UDel, or UF ? 

Most all the 3 years schools allow you to teach. If teaching is something you consider that is worth its money in gold. I have read this forum for several years and some mentioned that the 2 year programs go by fast. It took them almost a year to get into the swing of things. Not having to worry about paying student loans will free up your time to be creative. If you are young and do not have other obligation and they give you teaching experience go for the 3 year program. Student loan debt can bring down the best of us, best to be avoided. 

I've been lurking this forum for a while. I decided to hold off on applying this year (After many failed attempts to get a Fulbright) and will be applying this coming fall. I have a background in photography and (documentary). For photo focused applicant's how did you decide on the schools, you applied too? (I know this answer will vary depending on applicant but I am curious to hear different reasonings) Did your applications/portfolio very vastly depend on the school at all? Any advice for a future applicant? I have a million more questions but I'll stick with those for now. 

Good luck to all who are waiting to hear back from schools and those who are in the stages of interviewing! 

Hey folks,

First time post-er here. Just wanted to let people applying for Film/video/etc. know which programs have sent out interviews already (at least in my experience)

SAIC Film, Video, New Media & Animation (FVNMA): interviewing Feb. 17th

CU Boulder Film: interviewing via Skype Feb. 24th

Massart Film / Video: interviewing via Skype Feb. 28th

CalArts Film & Video: interviewing March 2nd

School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts (SMFA): interviewing March 3rd

Anyone heard from University of Wisconsin Milwaukee Film Video Animation and New Genres yet?

Good luck to y'all!!

1 hour ago, avant gauze said:

School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts (SMFA): interviewing March 3rd

First mention of my alma-mater on here! SMFA has a great multidisciplinary program! I actually work there too, so you might unknowingly see me if you go on a tour of the school. Good luck on all your interviews!

14 hours ago, designer456 said:

@painterlady431 when I check the email I see a link for an online interview and then a link to visit the campus but not an in person interview option, did I miss something? And congrats, I am interviewing for the GD program! 

That's interesting. I think it might be because your program is different than mine, but I'm not sure. You could always call and ask!

51 minutes ago, carolinephoto said:

Has anyone heard anything about funding at Cal Arts? Got any friends who got scholarships there or anything?

My one friend got into Cal Arts with the highest financial aid they give. She's currently there with a 38,000 dollar a year stipend for doing her graduate school research there. She only pays 14,000 dollars a year for her tuition.