MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

3 hours ago, MFAAFM said:

Rejected for the SAIC MFA but an offer to be considered instead for their post baccalaureate program? Is this common for schools? Sounds cool...but with other acceptances under my belt...it seems...Iunno...I guess I see the pros and cons

Hi! Just out of curiosity when did you received this email from SAIC? 

3 hours ago, MFAAFM said:

Rejected for the SAIC MFA but an offer to be considered instead for their post baccalaureate program? Is this common for schools? Sounds cool...but with other acceptances under my belt...it seems...Iunno...I guess I see the pros and cons

That’s sweet! A post bacc is a cool opportunity, it can give more time to think about and make more work. Personally I’d jump on a good MFA program, especially if you get a stipend!

goodluck and congrats!

On 2/11/2018 at 7:43 PM, ackno said:

Check your promotional folders folks -- my CalArts interview invite from 3 days ago was sitting there.

What program at CalArts are you invited to interview for? - I am going to their interview day on March 8th, interesting that we were told we don't need to bring artwork/ prepare for the interview - maybe see you there!

8 minutes ago, haunted cornfield said:

What program at CalArts are you invited to interview for? - I am going to their interview day on March 8th, interesting that we were told we don't need to bring artwork/ prepare for the interview - maybe see you there!

Film/Video MFA! My interview day is March 2nd and unortunately I’ll only be in town until the 5th. But if we both end up attending the school I’d love to connect!

10 minutes ago, haunted cornfield said:

Hey I have an interview from Art & Tech, they didn't say to explicitly say to prep for the interview but from the emails it is suggested it is a critical component; so prep is definitively expected. They don't require you to bring artwork because possibly they have all of it in SlideRoom, but where did you get the impression should don't need to prepare for the interview? That confuses me – unless they are already set on giving you an offer. If that, congrats!

On 2/5/2018 at 4:32 PM, ackno said:

Would be down to meet up! I’m in town the 15th through 18th.

Could always meet up between the end of interviews and the reception?? I thought I’d just bop around the area to stay close to the reception ballroom. 

2 hours ago, Capybara said:

from his/her avatar I saw that it's sculpture program.

I also applied for Syracuse in Illustration program and haven't heard anything :/

Ah ok, fwef. I’m waiting on Photo and yeah same, haven’t heard anything. I had no idea did interviews though, the grad office told me they didn’t, but I asked specifically for the photo MFA. 

Hi all,

Longtime listener, first time caller. First time applying to MFA programs. Thus far:

Slade - rejected

CMU - interviewed 2/3. Totally bombed. Would be surprised if I’m selected. 

MICA Mt. Royal - interviewing 2/21

MICA Photo and Electronic - waiting to hear

UCLA New Genres - waiting to hear 

WHERE. THE. EFF. is UCLA?

Hi all,

I applied to:

UO - Fibers/ Sculpture : Still waiting...

Kent State - Textiles : Accepted, waiting to schedule an interview for GA appointment

SAIC - Fiber & Material Studies : Skype Interview 2/17

CCA - Fibers/ Sculpture : Still waiting...

I emailed UO yesterday and was told they are still reviewing and interviewing so that's still in play theoretically. Also, was told by a friend who works at CCA that they will be reviewing mid Feb, so hopefully we hear back this week or next? 

Anyone have advice for how to make the most of a short Skype interview? SAIC said to pick my best two pieces to discuss in depth, which is helpful, but any advice would be appreciated!

Good luck everyone!

14 hours ago, Makerak said:

Hey I have an interview from Art & Tech, they didn't say to explicitly say to prep for the interview but from the emails it is suggested it is a critical component; so prep is definitively expected. They don't require you to bring artwork because possibly they have all of it in SlideRoom, but where did you get the impression should don't need to prepare for the interview? That confuses me – unless they are already set on giving you an offer. If that, congrats!

I emailed admissions to find out more, I too can trying to be prepared as much as possible. This was the response I received: 

"Your interview will be a short conversation (about 15-20 minutes) with three faculty members from the School of Art, but I will not be able to tell you who those people will be until the day of the interview. There is nothing you need to bring or prepare in advanced."

Thoughts! 

1 hour ago, charoarte said:

do you guys know if hunter interviews or directly accepts people?

I think they do both.. not entirely sure. Looks like on their website they say the ones who are admitted some are put into spring semester instead of fall.

6 hours ago, Nadds092 said:

Ah ok, fwef. I’m waiting on Photo and yeah same, haven’t heard anything. I had no idea did interviews though, the grad office told me they didn’t, but I asked specifically for the photo MFA. 

It was a simple phone interview with one professor and the basic questions ("Why are you interested in Syracuse", "What are your goals after undergrad?"). I think I spent more time asking questions about the program than he spent asking me questions, haha. Pretty informal, really. Maybe just a sculpture thing.

I just had my Skype interview with Alfred and it was the most nerve racking thing ever. I am legit shaking and I just hope I didn't come across as nervous as I actually was. Aaaannnnnnnnnd now I have to wait another 2 weeks. 

But on another note, I got an acceptance email from University at Buffalo this morning! No word on funding yet, though!

2 hours ago, haunted cornfield said:

I emailed admissions to find out more, I too can trying to be prepared as much as possible. This was the response I received: 

"Your interview will be a short conversation (about 15-20 minutes) with three faculty members from the School of Art, but I will not be able to tell you who those people will be until the day of the interview. There is nothing you need to bring or prepare in advanced."

Thoughts! 

Thats pretty helpful thanks!!!

Although I'm still gonna bring my laptop no matter what lol, its like my safety blanket ^^

26 minutes ago, Kvir said:

I just had my Skype interview with Alfred and it was the most nerve racking thing ever. I am legit shaking and I just hope I didn't come across as nervous as I actually was. Aaaannnnnnnnnd now I have to wait another 2 weeks. 

But on another note, I got an acceptance email from University at Buffalo this morning! No word on funding yet, though!

Never have I felt this song to be more relevant!