MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

5 hours ago, ILIKEART said:

So what are everyones thought on settling for your safety school vs trying one more year for your dream school?

I don't think I've ever been this anxious in my life and I don't think I could put myself through it again!

1 hour ago, Hannahgracelee said:

Guys...has anyone heard from New York Academy of Art? like any word whatsoever...

Yes, I got an email on January 24th from the admissions office letting me know they have all my letters and that my app is complete. Good Luck!

5 hours ago, ILIKEART said:

So what are everyones thought on settling for your safety school vs trying one more year for your dream school?

I didn't apply to a "safety school" simply for this reason of "settling." I think it only adds toward self-doubt, but we all have different goals. If your goal is to just get into a school I think it's a great idea to have a safety school, however, if you want something very specific out of graduate study I think it's better to eliminate the idea of a safety school.

Looking back on this process of applying, I've learned a lot. The schools I set out on applying during the beginning of the process has drastically changed, and even now I wished I had applied to other schools vs. the ones I did apply to. 

I think it just goes to show how much time/experience we should accumulate before pursuing an MFA. 

7 hours ago, ILIKEART said:

You're obviously past this point, but I would have said don't spend the time and money applying to "safety" schools unless you're really ready to go to them if your "dream" schools don't work out. 

At this point it's hard to say without knowing your exact situation, but for me personally I'd say I'd either: 1) Take my time and try to get into that school that's going to be the best fit for me, or 2) I'd consider getting two MFAs, one at the school that's accepted you now, one at that school you think would be even better. That's definitely not for everyone! But, for example, Noel W. Anderson who is teaching at NYU has an MFA in printmaking from Indiana and an MFA in sculpture from Yale.

49 minutes ago, charoarte said:

But it definitely feels nice to be immediately accepted into a program! I got accepted to LSU , no interview free and with stipend! Just wooow 

Nice! Congrats! What program? I got my BFA in Sculpture from LSU and LOVED it!

53 minutes ago, charoarte said:

But it definitely feels nice to be immediately accepted into a program! I got accepted to LSU , no interview free and with stipend! Just wooow 

Wow! That is so awesome, and that aid is fantastic! Congratulations!!!!

it could be- I have heard some professors I have worked with that are involved with grad school applications say that they flat out wont accept people who apply straight out of college, but im sure its not a definite rule. At the same time, a lot of these schools people have been talking about here have a 2-8% acceptance rate. Thats tough odds for anyone- myself included as I have been rejected from 50% of the places I have heard back from so far

Edited by magglywaggly

8 minutes ago, Paintyface said:

Is anyone graduating from their BFA in June? I keep being rejected and am wondering if the fact that I am applying whilst completing my undergrad is working against me. Could this be a factor?

Same here. I've been told programs tend to prefer applicants who have had time to develop their practice outside of academia. 

Edited by hduggan

3 hours ago, Paintyface said:

Is anyone graduating from their BFA in June? I keep being rejected and am wondering if the fact that I am applying whilst completing my undergrad is working against me. Could this be a factor?

As someone that is currently in the gap year between undergrad and applying to grad, taking the year off has been nothing but rewarding. While I do have a few friends that went straight into grad from undergrad, that gap year can really be a great time to figure out what you want. It's so different taking time out of school to develop your practice, while also being an adult and working full time. It's really helped me feel more prepared for applying to grad schools and has helped me refine what my research will be.

That being said, I hope you get in to where you applied, but if it doesn't happen take the year off and just make some awesome work.