MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Man, I wish I found out about this site before sending in my MFA application for Concordia University in Montreal (in film production). It would have helped a lot especially when I decided to spend a week there while researching about my postgrad studies there!

Honestly, I don't feel confident with my portfolio. Although my grades and my SOP I think are pretty strong, I don't feel as if my portfolio is too "artsy" enough. So, I don't know what my chances are exactly, but I did put a good mix of short documentaries and short narratives in my portfolio, which had to be thematically linked to our creative project proposal in a way (so I had to submit works from past years just to meet that requirement).

Anyway, good luck to everyone in here! I hope we all get good responses from our schools :)

I would check how the professors dress. I remember going to the Mathematic department at Rowan and one of the student and his father came all decked out in fancy suits. The department head commented that he felt underdressed. If you do wear jeans, perhaps a black one. Clean but not to over pretentious. Get a fresh haircut even if you wear your hair long just a trim around the ends helps. Polish your shoes. Go easy on the parfume and cologne. What ever you do do not look like you just stepped out of the studio splattered in paint. 

On January 22, 2018 at 3:58 PM, hoax said:

An interview means that the school has reviewed your application, and are interested in what they are see, but does not guarantee admission. It's the "second round."

I think the rest of your questions depend on the school.

Congratulation best of luck. 

Hey guys, could anybody tell me when interview days usually are?  Im planning on going on a trip april 3-10, so I dont know if interviewers are usually flexible with interview dates or are they all the same? 

57 minutes ago, charoarte said:

Hey guys, could anybody tell me when interview days usually are?  Im planning on going on a trip april 3-10, so I dont know if interviewers are usually flexible with interview dates or are they all the same? 

I think you'll be fine - I think most interviews take place in March. Some schools post their projected interview dates (Bard for instance has not sent out finalist decisions but it says on the website that the interviews will take place on March 3) You may even have a decision to celebrate by April!

Edited by 98Charleston

1 hour ago, charoarte said:

The ones I know of are mid to late February, others are sometime in March.