MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

On January 17, 2018 at 2:49 AM, Zander said:

Part of my methodology for applying to schools is considering the cost, and if I can afford the tuition, often times the answer is hell, no, thus those schools are crossed off my list. No need to invest in an expensive application fee if I'm going to get possibly stuck with a tuition bill that I can't afford in the first place. 

Congratulation Peach Gray and best of luck.

Hi! I have just applied to a few programs and I'm just looking for some advice to see if I have a shot I guess. Also looking for any schools in Europe besides University College London that have what I'm looking for. 

A little background on me, I got my Bachelor of Science Interior Design at Drexel University in Philly with a minor in Art History. I graduated with a 3.3 GPA and a pretty solid portfolio (my strong suit is definitely my renderings). For the past 2 years I have been teaching at the Community College of Philadelphia as an adjunct professor teaching AutoCAD and Intro to Architecture, Design and Construction. I kind of fell into teaching but absolutely love it and love the flexibility and freedom it gives me to be creative in my spare time. Obviously with this, I need to get my masters to continue teaching at the collegiate level.

My goal is to go into Exhibit and Installation design so I have applied to a variety of different programs involving this field. Mostly, I want to get more digital design knowledge (I currently am fluent in CAD, Revit, Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop, Laser Cutting and a little sketchup) but I want to learn more about 3D printing, CNC Routing which entails Rhino and 3DS Max. 

Mostly, I am curious if I have a shot at some of these reach schools of mine. But also if anyone has any insight into some more European Schools that have what I'm looking for it would be greatly appreciated. 

1. UCLA 

2. California College of the Arts

3. Portland State University

4. Pratt Institute 

5. WashU

6. UCL 

@MFAAFM

My professors have always insisted on going to schools in person, but I know from personal experience that this is not always possible due to finances, work compnflicts, etc.

From what I have gathered, the faculty really want to get to know who you are. I mean there are also so many variables, but the first is being 1 of the 100+ applicants called in for an interview, acing your interview by wowing the faculty with your knowledge and personality, and overall making a case for why you would be the best candidate. To be honest though it seems to come down to whether the faculty want to work with you over a period of two years or not. I know in my case I am a horrible Skype interviewer, so this year I want to meet everyone in person that I can. 

I also know that from many of the open house and Q&A’s some people who do the interview through Skype are accepted, but without looking at any hard numbers I will go out on a limb and say that there are more people accepted from in-person interviews vs. Skype. The schools seems to be open to it, and I know from the Yale open house some are accepted through it, but I am a little skeptical. I know I would want to meet someone I would potentially be working with for the next two years in person, but if you feel like you can kill the interview online as well as in person go for it. I am just too paranoid that doing it online actually hurts my chances, so I am going to opt for in person if possible. 

Interview notifications just around the corner...wondering exactly what an interview means? (That you successfully completed your application -or- that they see something in you application that they are interested in) What percent of students are typically interviewed? What percent are not interviewed? 

Edited by MFAAFM

So it begins! 

Just got called for an interview at SAIC - Performance Art MFA

Interview Feb 17th. 25 mins, with 2 faculty and possibly 1 current grad student. I asked if there were specific topics I should be preparing for the interview, and they said to just be familiar with my application and be ready to talk about the pieces and statements I submitted, what I'm currently working on, etc. 

:lol:

27 minutes ago, MFAAFM said:

Interview notifications just around the corner...wondering exactly what an interview means? (That you successfully completed your application -or- that they see something in you application that they are interested in) What percent of students are typically interviewed? What percent are not interviewed? 

An interview means that the school has reviewed your application, and are interested in what they are see, but does not guarantee admission. It's the "second round."

I think the rest of your questions depend on the school.

39 minutes ago, let_me_in said:

So it begins! 

Interview Feb 17th. 25 mins, with 2 faculty and possibly 1 current grad student. I asked if there were specific topics I should be preparing for the interview, and they said to just be familiar with my application and be ready to talk about the pieces and statements I submitted, what I'm currently working on, etc. 

Congratulations!!! That's so exciting! 

Received a call from SAIC MFA Ceramics today to schedule an interview for Feb. 17th :D

Still waiting to hear from:

College California of the Arts -ceramics

University of Oregon, Eugene -ceramics

Arizona State University, Tempe -ceramics

University of Colorado Boulder -ceramics

University of Washington, Seattle -3d4m

and yet to submit applications to:

University of Arkansas, Fayetteville -ceramics

Georgia State University, Atlanta -ceramics

University of Florida, Gainesville -ceramics

Montana State University, Bozeman -ceramics

Tainan University of the Arts, Taiwan -ceramics

Tulane University, New Orleans -ceramics

Good luck everyone!

1 hour ago, cklos said:

I applied to SAIC and SVA for photo!

More of a traditionalist or pushing the medium type of photog? I understand those to be some pretty pomo heavy programs. Both embrace tech.

SAIC does have LaToya Ruby Frazier to balance out William H. Gass's daughter.

Edited by Twin Infinitives

41 minutes ago, Twin Infinitives said:

More of a traditionalist or pushing the medium type of photog? I understand those to be some pretty pomo heavy programs. Both embrace tech.

SAIC does have LaToya Ruby Frazier to balance out William H. Gass's daughter.

More traditionalist but looking to expand into more tech

5 hours ago, let_me_in said:

So it begins! 

Congrats! So does this mean SAIC has released their interviews or are they done over a couple days? Do they tend to do all the concentrations on the same day? 

33 minutes ago, MFAAFM said:

Congrats! So does this mean SAIC has released their interviews or are they done over a couple days? Do they tend to do all the concentrations on the same day? 

I hope it's over a few days or even weeks... some of their degree programs, the deadline isn't until February 1st

Anyone apply to illustration MFA here?

I applied 5 places with one in communications design because I'm afraid I won't get in but the school of my dream is SVA.

I wonder when will the results arrive. Only SVA states that I will receive the result by snail mail within 1 april. Others don't say anything.