2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

zam330

20 hours ago, surface4 said:

Hey alabama23, I don't know anything about waitlists but I do have a question for you. Do have any knowledge of when Columbia Earth and Environmental Sciences will start to release admissions decisions this year? From previous years on the results survey it has been throughout February, but I'm wondering if you have more specific info since you go there.

Hey surface4! It will be sometime in February. Unfortunately I do not have more specifics than that as well (sadly). I wish you best of luck in the process! 

Been combing through the past year's application threads, looking at dates and stats. Do you guys know if admissions committees view masters and PhD applications separately/notify them at different times? 

Undergrad Institution: Mid Size State School
Major(s): Geological Sciences
Minor(s): Anthropology/ Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.67
Overall GPA: 3.12
Position in Class: average for entire graduating class, high in geology
Type of Student: Domestic female
GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:153
V:153
W:5

Research Experience: A geochemistry research project at home univ, paleontology research project at home univ, organic chem research project at home univ, paleontology research in Turkana Basin, 
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: NCAA All Academic Team

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: NCAA athletics, greek life, geology club, Miss America Org, 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Various internships, GeoCorp, march for science board member, featured in nature, a lot of community outreach

Special Bonus Points: met a potential advisor in person, one of my letters of rec is an alum, one letter of rec worked there

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Applying to Where:

Univ. Alaska Fairbanks- Earth Sciences- Paleontology
Stony Brook- Anatomical Sciences- Paleontology
Univ. Indiana Bloomington- Earth Sciences- Paleontology

Univ Nevada Las Vegas- Earth Sciences- Planetary geochem/ astrobiology (curve ball I know)

Let me know if anyone has heard from any of these schools yet, I'm panicking

Hey, 

I saw a post on the results page about someone getting accepted to GaTech's Earth and Atmospheric Sciences. 

May I know if anyone has heard anything yet? 

Also, I'm guessing that some decisions are going to be delayed due to the upcoming Ocean Sciences Conference in Portland this week? 

On 2/2/2018 at 9:28 PM, alabama23 said:

Just got waitlisted at Princeton Geosciences! Email said Adcom thought my app was competitive but unable to offer admissions currently. Does anyone know the likely hood of getting of these waitlists?? Good luck to everyone else!

I don't know what the likelihood is, but I know a couple people who got in off waitlists at different schools last cycle. Last year I got into Princeton Geosciences off the waitlist around early April (the 5th maybe) but decided to stay with the program to which I was already committed. hope that helps!

@dannerz

I just received an email from Indiana University - Bloomington Dept. of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences. It essentially says I'm in the list of "top applicants" and invited to the Open House. Hope this helps!

Hello fellow colleagues! Is the Geosciences/Earth dept. usually slower than other divisions like the engineering departments? I get the general idea from last year's thread that most of the decisions tend to reach applicants from mid to late February, but is that the usual case? Because this application process is withering away my patience on daily basis LOL

@JJtheJetPlane Every field has their own timeline. For instance, chemistry programs apply in late October to early December, but hear back in January. If you look up your program + school in the results search, you should get a pretty good idea of when you will hear back. From my understanding, geosciences typically send out acceptances from January to March but with the majority of them coming in February. Hope this helps!

On 2/6/2018 at 5:52 PM, voaku said:

Been combing through the past year's application threads, looking at dates and stats. Do you guys know if admissions committees view masters and PhD applications separately/notify them at different times? 

Yea I havent seen a lot of masters yet, anyone know?

I've only heard from one of my three so far, and that was for a campus visit. No decisions either way yet.

Given that batches of acceptances for just PhDs can come out at different times, I wouldn't be surprised if notifications for both programs came out in a bit of a hodgepodge.

Hi everyone

Undergrad Institution: University of Lagos, Nigeria
Major(s): Geophysics
Minor(s): dunno (did a lot of geology courses)
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 4.53/5
Position in Class: top, best graduating student
Type of Student: International, male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 165
V: 154
W: 3
Sent my first GRE Score also, Q158 V158 A4

TOEFL Total: 108

Research Experience: No publication, 3 research work, 2 internship in a research lab
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: University Scholars Endowment,  Best Graduating Student Department of Geosciences (Geophysics Option), University Science Student’s Award of Excellence, NAPE-AAPG intervarsity Quiz competition (1st prize),  University Science All-Round Student Award, Rotary Youth Leadership Award.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Freelance Tutor from second year, Appointed university GA after graduation, currently teach Cambridge A level Physics

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:Captain faculty basketball team, President of student union

Applying to Where:

Harvard (reject)

Scripps

University of oklahoma

West Virginia University ( accepted with full funding through TA)

Washington University in St. Louis

Uni of Arizona

UT Austin

UCSB

Okstate

TAMU

Anyone heard from University of Wisconsin - Madison? I'm assuming I've been rejected according to how and when they've sent out decisions in previous years, but I'm really surprised that no one has posted that they got in yet.

I've now gotten either interviews or acceptances at 5 out of the 7 programs I applied to, and will be visiting some of them in the next few weeks. As to the other two - Washington Atmospheric Sciences and Columbia EES - I was getting impatient so I contacted the departments. Both of them said that while they have issued some acceptances already, they are not done making their admissions decisions.

On 2/16/2018 at 5:52 PM, surface4 said:

I've now gotten either interviews or acceptances at 5 out of the 7 programs I applied to, and will be visiting some of them in the next few weeks. As to the other two - Washington Atmospheric Sciences and Columbia EES - I was getting impatient so I contacted the departments. Both of them said that while they have issued some acceptances already, they are not done making their admissions decisions.

I am waiting for the Columbia EES too. I saw two acceptances this week. Have you interviewed with the PI? And do you know the time of the last acceptances? Thanks

Edited by alpha1002

On 2/10/2018 at 5:08 AM, wandering95 said:

Hey, 

I saw a post on the results page about someone getting accepted to GaTech's Earth and Atmospheric Sciences. 

Also, I'm guessing that some decisions are going to be delayed due to the upcoming Ocean Sciences Conference in Portland this week? 

I obtained the offer from GaTech. But I focus on the climate science.

The campus visiting is in early March. 

Edited by alpha1002

On 2/10/2018 at 5:08 AM, wandering95 said:

Hey, 

I also applied to a paleoclimate/geochemistry lab and haven’t heard back yet. I am probably going to email the PI next week to check in.

20 hours ago, alpha1002 said:

I obtained the offer from GaTech. But I focus on the climate science.

The campus visiting is in early March. 

Hey! Congrats! 

I applied under a climate scientist as well. May I know the initials of your POI? 

thank you! 

Hey, 

I'm one of the admitted Columbia EES students. A PI I didn't list on my application contacted me via email in late January and we had a Skype interview. 

It sounds like they might admit by discipline, since my prospective PI said she was hoping to get many admitted SGT (seismo geophysics tectonics) people to come on the same day, and had already had contact with a few. Don't know why notification time matters, but I received an "unofficial" admit w/funding details at 11:30ish AM and then an "official" admit the next day around 1pm. My early notification might also have to do with funding, though (Dean's Fellowship), so who knows. 

1 hour ago, okay44444 said:

Hey, 

I'm one of the admitted Columbia EES students. A PI I didn't list on my application contacted me via email in late January and we had a Skype interview. 

It sounds like they might admit by discipline, since my prospective PI said she was hoping to get many admitted SGT (seismo geophysics tectonics) people to come on the same day, and had already had contact with a few. Don't know why notification time matters, but I received an "unofficial" admit w/funding details at 11:30ish AM and then an "official" admit the next day around 1pm. My early notification might also have to do with funding, though (Dean's Fellowship), so who knows. 

Congrats! Look forward to hearing from Paleoclimate field soon. The waiting is so longgggg. haha

17 hours ago, wandering95 said:

Hey! Congrats! 

I applied under a climate scientist as well. May I know the initials of your POI? 

thank you! 

Thank you! 

Sorry I did not make myself clear. I apply for a new POI studying the hydroclimatology, climate dynamics, etc. I believe he is not the POI you contacted :).

We had a short meeting at the January AMS annual meeting. I guess that's why I got an offer in the early February.

10 hours ago, okay44444 said:

Hey, 

Congratulations! I become nervous after I noticed two acceptances in the last week. Looking forward to hearing from the Atmospheric Science field.

On 2/15/2018 at 12:33 PM, cavalior7005 said:

Anyone heard from University of Wisconsin - Madison? I'm assuming I've been rejected according to how and when they've sent out decisions in previous years, but I'm really surprised that no one has posted that they got in yet.

I'm still waiting on them too. They are having major funding problems this year but it would be a great program join! I definitely can't swing it without funding though