2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

zam330

On 3/30/2018 at 11:24 PM, RodC said:

Congrats! Have you been admitted to EPS program, right? we will likely be classmates! I'm still thinking about Scripps or Cal.

Oh, neat! I haven't gotten the offer in writing yet, but yes - EPS. About 91% sure I will end up there now. What's giving you pause on your decision, if I may ask?

3 hours ago, GarbledGeyser said:

Oh, neat! I haven't gotten the offer in writing yet, but yes - EPS. About 91% sure I will end up there now. What's giving you pause on your decision, if I may ask?

You should receive the offer soon. When my POI recommend for admission I got the written offer letter the next day. 

I'm 91% sure I will end up in Berkeley too, haha. However, I'm thinking carefully my decision because the geophysics program in Scripps is very suitable for someone who doesn't have a geophysical background (I'm an engineer). Besides, my POI there is a really good researcher and the place is wonderful.  Can I send you a PM? I'd be happy to meet a prospective classmate!.

On 4/1/2018 at 9:55 AM, kamilqureshi said:

Anyone applied and heard of admission decision in geology department of University of Alabama, Ph.D programme?

I haven't heard from them directly, but have some reliable connections with UA. As of a week ago I heard that they are on the last stretch of applicants at this point, the grad coordinator is basically in the process of filling in the last few spots. There may be hope yet, just say positive.

28 minutes ago, TheClasyWaggon said:

I haven't heard from them directly, but have some reliable connections with UA. As of a week ago I heard that they are on the last stretch of applicants at this point, the grad coordinator is basically in the process of filling in the last few spots. There may be hope yet, just say positive.

I received an acceptance from UA in early March, but I declined their offer last week. 

11 hours ago, TheClasyWaggon said:

Let me know? Is there any other forum through which we can know abt the accepted applicant at any specific uni?

5 hours ago, kamilqureshi said:

Let me know? Is there any other forum through which we can know abt the accepted applicant at any specific uni?

I applied for a MS, but not at University of Alabama. I live in the South and know some professors that have ties with UA. In regards to other forums, The Grad Cafe is the most all inclusive and active place I have found to date. 

Does anyone know the status of University of Washington, University of Tennessee Knoxville, and Georgia Tech? I know UW says they expect decisions to be made by 4/15, but I'm wondering if they have already made them and just send out rejections on that day instead. I haven't heard a single thing from UTK and GT, nor do I know of any particular dates regarding their decisions. 

1 hour ago, goosejuice said:

Does anyone know the status of University of Washington, University of Tennessee Knoxville, and Georgia Tech? I know UW says they expect decisions to be made by 4/15, but I'm wondering if they have already made them and just send out rejections on that day instead. I haven't heard a single thing from UTK and GT, nor do I know of any particular dates regarding their decisions. 

Georgia Tech EAS sends out decisions well into April. It's a large department and I'm sure they're swamped with applications. It can't hurt to shoot an email to whoever you applied to work with just to check in. 

8 hours ago, goosejuice said:

I received rej from University of Washington yesterday.

11 hours ago, gb1326 said:

Georgia Tech EAS sends out decisions well into April. It's a large department and I'm sure they're swamped with applications. It can't hurt to shoot an email to whoever you applied to work with just to check in. 

Right, thank you for the info! I Makes sense since the department staff doesn't seem to be great at answering emails/phone calls.

4 hours ago, Yuming0521 said:

I received rej from University of Washington yesterday.

Sorry to hear that :( Did you apply to the Earth and Space Sciences program? Or was this through the Atmospheric Sciences department?

On 4/2/2018 at 10:09 AM, student_s said:

Just called Mines, and they said they are still reviewing, it's already April, I'm losing it!

I emailed the geophysics program assistant on monday, she got back to me yesterday saying there were finalizing the decisions yesterday/today and she would have them processed by the morning..

20 hours ago, gb1326 said:

I tried emailing the person I applied to work with but got no reply. I’m thinking that’s a bad sign ?. 

Hello guys. I am officially admitted to the Ph.D. program in Mechanical Engineering for Fall 2018 into the University of New Hampshire (UNH). Unfortunately, I still have not found a specific supervisor since they have not responded to my emails yet. I’m writing to ask whether there is any chance that I choose my supervisor after starting my study at UNH?

The second question is that it is written into my admission letter that "if you are awarded any financial aids, you will be notifed by email". how do you think? can anyone help that how long should I wait for it? and is there any chance to receive any scholarship or other types of aids without a recommendation of supervisor?

On 2018/4/6 at 12:04 AM, goosejuice said:

Right, thank you for the info! I Makes sense since the department staff doesn't seem to be great at answering emails/phone calls.

Sorry to hear that :( Did you apply to the Earth and Space Sciences program? Or was this through the Atmospheric Sciences department?

I applied through Atmospheric Science department.

On 4/5/2018 at 8:28 PM, dysn4972 said:

I emailed the geophysics program assistant on monday, she got back to me yesterday saying there were finalizing the decisions yesterday/today and she would have them processed by the morning..

Any updates from Mines? Tried to reach out to them by email and phone , but no reply...

GaTech is insanely slow with the process... the POI isn't even looking at my letters now. Guess I'll just have to take that as a rejection. Penn State is also silent these days. Those two are basically the schools I'm still waiting with no response. If I don't hear back from them until this Friday, I guess I'll have to go with OSU.

16 minutes ago, JetPlane_the said:

GaTech is insanely slow with the process... the POI isn't even looking at my letters now. Guess I'll just have to take that as a rejection. Penn State is also silent these days. Those two are basically the schools I'm still waiting with no response. If I don't hear back from them until this Friday, I guess I'll have to go with OSU.

I believe PSU sent most of their decisions in February... are you talking about Ohio State or Oregon State?

7 minutes ago, student_s said:

I believe PSU sent most of their decisions in February... are you talking about Ohio State or Oregon State?

Yup, I've also heard that. So I'm taking PSU as a rejection by 99.9999 percent :( And for the reference, I was talking of Ohio! Sorry for not being clear on that :D 

6 minutes ago, JetPlane_the said:

Yup, I've also heard that. So I'm taking PSU as a rejection by 99.9999 percent :( And for the reference, I was talking of Ohio! Sorry for not being clear on that :D 

I am an undergrad at OSU, who did you apply to work with?

I'm guessing places like GT and Knoxville have decision processes that are affected by their semester system (as opposed to the quarter system for a lot of places). Though I would also assume that because their prospective applicants are also dealing with April 15 deadlines for other schools, that date should still be significant for GT/Knoxville and might be when they shift their waitlists a bit. 

Speaking of waitlists, anyone know how common it is to get accepted via waitlist in the earth/planetary sciences? Even though these programs don't seem to always notify applicants that you're on a waitlist, the fact that they haven't rejected you must mean that you're interesting enough to still be considered?