Fall 2018 Cycle

ahmed.samy

Did anyone hear from University of Pittsburgh, Utah (after Dec.) and UI Chicago?

Also, is it inappropriate to call departments to check how far they are in the admissions process? I want to check if they are still sending offers or if all the positions are filled.

Edited by raul.carmo

5 hours ago, athan892 said:

Does this mean that if someone hasnt received an email so far, it is over? 

I'm not sure, sorry! I was called yesterday and got my email last night. Im not sure if they sent them all out at once, just that the letter has that number. :(

48 minutes ago, raul.carmo said:

Did anyone hear from University of Pittsburgh, Utah (after Dec.) and UI Chicago?

Also, is it inappropriate to call departments to check how far they are in the admissions process? I want to check if they are still sending offers or if all the positions are filled.

I don't think it's bad to call departments to see if they're still sending out offers. Another thing to do is to look at the results page of grad cafe from previous years and see when your schools have sent out acceptances in the past. A lot of schools seem to send out acceptances in the first few weeks of February. 

28 minutes ago, rw16202 said:

I don't think it's bad to call departments to see if they're still sending out offers. Another thing to do is to look at the results page of grad cafe from previous years and see when your schools have sent out acceptances in the past. A lot of schools seem to send out acceptances in the first few weeks of February. 

To piggy back off of this - if you call and ask for a general timeline (IE, when they expect to have decisions out by) I don't think they mind - I've done that with a few of my schools. I wouldn't call to ask about a decision, though, as that might seem really pushy.

3 hours ago, Fiain said:

To piggy back off of this - if you call and ask for a general timeline (IE, when they expect to have decisions out by) I don't think they mind - I've done that with a few of my schools. I wouldn't call to ask about a decision, though, as that might seem really pushy.

Did you ask Stanford or Cornell for a timeline? As I'd be interested to hear what they are!

1 hour ago, rwoodward said:

Did you ask Stanford or Cornell for a timeline? As I'd be interested to hear what they are!

I'm fairly sure Stanford's folks are out at lunch today, and I've got to head out to work before they'll likely be back - I'll try and call later if I get a chance, though if someone else wants to that'd rock.

Cornell told me next two weeks, the admissions committee is still looking at applications.

21 hours ago, Fiain said:

Northwestern for Chem is sending out their last decisions this week, is what I've heard. That does include acceptances, so don't be disheartened yet about that.

I haven't heard anything from Cornell, Berkeley, or Stanford yet.. I honestly thought my really bad subject gre score (33rd percentile!) would knock me out of the running for all the schools and it hasn't so far, so... SoPs and recommendations really do help a ton.

As far as welcome visits I've been invited to two that I have the information for - one I get reimbursed for the flight, the other is arranged for me. Hotels/food is covered by them.

Hello,

where have you been invited?

10 minutes ago, Moonchild said:

Hello,

where have you been invited?

Rice and Northwestern, officially, and I've been called by a professor at U of O who told me to expect my admissions email soon and information on the visits. Northwestern will reimburse you, Rice pays entirely themselves.

Depends on the school? I imagine that is pretty unlikely, though..

As an update, called Stanford. They said they expect to have decisions made by the end of January/Early February. I tried calling Berkeley too, however I wasn't able to actually get through to a person with how many 'bots there were in between me and said person. So I won't be able to give an update on them.

Hey all, I'm new to this thread but have been lurking for a while!

I'm a bit nervous-- do schools usually send out all their acceptances at once or do they do it based on discipline or just in general all at once?

21 minutes ago, smizz said:

Hey all, I'm new to this thread but have been lurking for a while!

I'm a bit nervous-- do schools usually send out all their acceptances at once or do they do it based on discipline or just in general all at once?

Depends on the university - can be any of the above. Best bet is to look at past years and see what is normally done.

2 hours ago, NervousChemApplicant said:

What’s your discipline? Looks like it’s mostly organic and analytical... historically, it seems like they don’t all come out at once

I'm organic/catalysis/synthesis. Oh well, it's 11:35PM here (Sydney) and still in lab - maybe I'll find out when I wake up...

5 hours ago, someth1ngAus said:

Given how many acceptances and wait lists have happened for Princeton, I think it's looking quite bleak for me...:(

Yeah I'm nervous as well, I applied there too... 

31 minutes ago, smizz said:

Yeah I'm nervous as well, I applied there too... 

Yeah, it's the only school I applied to because it had perfect research fit for me - if not, I can continue doing research where I am since I have a pretty large research budget ($10k for my project + supervisor's other funding but probably won't need to touch it...+like, $35k stipend take-home and several thousand more for teaching). We might be moving to UCL though, so I dunno.