Fall 2018 Cycle

ahmed.samy

1 hour ago, gg.rose said:

Does anyone know if northwestern is finished sending emails? i haven't received an acceptance nor a rejection.. 

This is what I got from them last night:

"Thank you for your application to the Chemistry Ph.D. Program through the Graduate School at Northwestern University.  Our applicant pool was extraordinarily strong this year and we regret that we are unable to extend an offer of admission to you.

Our Admissions Committee carefully reviews each application to evaluate each candidate’s qualifications for our program.  Since so many of our applicants have exemplary chemistry research and academic backgrounds, our admissions process must be highly selective.  Unfortunately, many strong applicants must be turned away.  Our Admissions Committee has completed its final application review and all decisions are now final.

Please accept my best wishes in your future pursuits.  Thank you again for considering Northwestern University."

But there might still be hope if they haven't sent you anything yet.  Best of luck!

19 hours ago, guest12345 said:

Where is MIT??

18 hours ago, matchem95 said:

Thinking the same thing over here! I keep checking my email but alas haven’t heard anything. 

I sent them an email today and got this reply:

"All applications are under review at this time.  Offers of admission are typically made by mid-February. Notice of declines will be sent out electronically by late February."

22 minutes ago, PhilChem94 said:

I sent them an email today and got this reply:

"All applications are under review at this time.  Offers of admission are typically made by mid-February. Notice of declines will be sent out electronically by late February."

Yea I got the exact same form response despite writing a carefully worded email to them. Not too specific...hard to schedule visits when they seem to suggest acceptances could continue for another two weeks, and also hard to stay hopeful when no one has heard anything in 10 days

1 hour ago, guest12345 said:

Yea I got the exact same form response despite writing a carefully worded email to them. Not too specific...hard to schedule visits when they seem to suggest acceptances could continue for another two weeks, and also hard to stay hopeful when no one has heard anything in 10 days

Yeah. People have been accepted, interviewed, and rejected. I don't know how to feel about it anymore.

Did anyone hear from Georgia Tech? I've seen many acceptances by late Dec. and early Jan. but no other entry in the admissions board after that. In the past years most offers came out by February but this year many were already sent, so I am not sure what to expect. I don't wanna call the department because the person in charge of admissions-related questions is a faculty member and it feels awkward to interrupt their work just to ask a silly question.

3 hours ago, raul.carmo said:

Did anyone hear from Georgia Tech? I've seen many acceptances by late Dec. and early Jan. but no other entry in the admissions board after that. In the past years most offers came out by February but this year many were already sent, so I am not sure what to expect. I don't wanna call the department because the person in charge of admissions-related questions is a faculty member and it feels awkward to interrupt their work just to ask a silly question.

3 hours ago, Ashok@513 said:

Does anyone hear from University of Florida and University of Houston? 

In the acceptance e-mails, UF has their visitation weekend on March 23-25 and GT has theirs on Jan 25-27 and March 1-3. So there's still time!

4 hours ago, raul.carmo said:

I called the admissions office at Georgia Tech today and the admissions officer told me that admissions are sent on a rolling basis via email throughout January and February. She did seem to think that more admissions were forthcoming. 

Piggybacking off of that, in case anyone else is waiting for Caltech...I also called them today and they told me that most admissions offers have been sent out. She did say that a few more offers would go out, but that the majority of offers had been extended already.

1 hour ago, NervousChemApplicant said:

Does someone want to call Yale ??

If princeton doesn’t come out tomorrow, I’d assume it’s a rejection because on their website it says all admitted students will be notified by Feb 1

I emailed Yale and they said "decisions are made in the months of February and March" which seemed a little generic. For those waiting on Berkeley, the admissions officer said applications are still being reviewed and will finish around mid February to the end of February. The Princeton admissions officer said decisions would be made by the end of the month (supposedly tomorrow).

7 hours ago, raul.carmo said:

I sent them an email and got this reply:

Decisions are made on a rolling basis throughout Jan-Feb. I will reach out to all applications via email once decisions are made.

Dr J

Hope it helps. :) 

6 hours ago, Ashok@513 said:

Does anyone hear from University of Florida and University of Houston? 

I sent the graduate advisor at University of Houston an email last January 12 and was told that there would be a review in later part of January (almost February now). I got my application decision from UH last January 22. :)

27 minutes ago, Achemj said:

Haven't heard back from any schools and feeling totally discouraged. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm theoretical/physical and applied to UCSD, Berkeley, Stanford, UChicago, JHU, and MIT

I was in this boat last year. Don't worry, many decisions are still sent out in February and March.

3 hours ago, rw16202 said:

I called the admissions office at Georgia Tech today and the admissions officer told me that admissions are sent on a rolling basis via email throughout January and February. She did seem to think that more admissions were forthcoming. 

Piggybacking off of that, in case anyone else is waiting for Caltech...I also called them today and they told me that most admissions offers have been sent out. She did say that a few more offers would go out, but that the majority of offers had been extended already.

I see you got into Emory, when did you receive the acceptance? As I applied late I'm not sure if my application has received full consideration and by this time I'm rejected or if it's still being reviewed.

2 hours ago, Orgmet said:

The Princeton admissions officer said decisions would be made by the end of the month (supposedly tomorrow).

I applied for catalysis/organic/synthesis and haven't heard back. Some people have been waitlisted and accepted a while ago. Princeton used to send out rejections right after acceptances - they definitely changed their approach this year. We'll find out soon.