Fall 2018 Cycle

ahmed.samy

12 hours ago, smizz said:

Anything from Brown, Columbia, or NYU? Those are the last ones I still have some hope for...

Got in Masters in organic at NYU last week. But I think they did not review masters/PhD separately. 

Edited by cater99

7 hours ago, cater99 said:

Got in Masters in organic at NYU last week. But I think they did not review masters/PhD separately. 

What makes you think they didn't review separately? I think they're pretty different programs so I feel like they would review separately. 

6 hours ago, smizz said:

What makes you think they didn't review separately? I think they're pretty different programs so I feel like they would review separately. 

The deadlines are the same. And based on what I have seen, they review in terms of specialization. So computational chem heard back first. Some other people applying for PhD in organic track also hear back around the same time as I did. 

On 12/4/2017 at 11:32 PM, supremethiophene said:

Undergrad Institution: Top 40 Liberal Arts School
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.77
Overall GPA: 3.80
Position in Class: Top 5%
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 161
V: 160
W: 5.5
S: 53%ile

Research Experience: 3 years of research in an inorganic/organometallic lab with a fairly known prof.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

-Full Science Scholarship

-Award given to junior for excellence in Science, Math, Computing.

-Placed 2nd in world's largest student rocket competition.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

Research Assistant (3 yrs)

Teaching Assistant (1.5 years)

Tutor (3 months)

Chem Club, treasurer ( 3.5 years)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

1 pub, 2 more in submission. 4 poster presentations, with 1 presentation at ACS.

Applying to Where: UPenn, MIT, Harvard, Yale, UChicago, Columbia, Stanford, JHU, Brown, Duke, UChicago, Emory

Which schools did you get accepted to?

Edited by Achemj
Grammar

6 hours ago, orgchemboy said:

Did anyone hear from Scripps for organic?

My coworker received an invite for interview Friday but that was a special case. Based on the email she received it seems like they were done sending out invites. Could be wrong though

45 minutes ago, boulderboi said:

My coworker received an invite for interview Friday but that was a special case. Based on the email she received it seems like they were done sending out invites. Could be wrong though

6 hours ago, orgchemboy said:

Did anyone hear from Scripps for organic?

I emailed, they said they are still reviewing applications and the outcome of interview/rejected will be sent in the next few weeks. 

3 minutes ago, NervousChemApplicant said:

same lol it’s freeing though

4 minutes ago, redevol727 said:

Got my rejection from Columbia as well. At least this year they sent it in February, last year they did so in late March. 

So judging from the tone of the email would you say that it's mostly rejections at this point? Last year they emailed me on the 21st of Feb, interviews are right around the corner too 

So apparently my friend who works at Columbia right now the PI said that there were only like 2 spots for inorganic open this year, so they had to turn down a lot of people.

8 minutes ago, redevol727 said:

Got my rejection from Columbia as well. At least this year they sent it in February, last year they did so in late March.

Edit for gg.rose: Judging from the tone of the email would you say that it's mostly rejections at this point? Last year they emailed me on the 21st of Feb, interviews are right around the corner too 

To be honest the tone was very neutral, but Im not sure.. I feel it would be quite late now to receive an offer of an interview. Im not too fussed, I only applied as my supervisor wanted me to - but i wish you luck! 

Is anyone still waiting for UIllinois Chicago? I don't want to call the department again to ask for an update because I have done so 3 times already. The final deadline for sending applications is today so I hope they will be done reviewing the remaining candidates until the of the month. If someone have an update please comment this post.

7 hours ago, boulderboi said:

6 hours ago, smizz said:

So apparently my friend who works at Columbia right now the PI said that there were only like 2 spots for inorganic open this year, so they had to turn down a lot of people.

Those are helpful information! But it's strange that the school still hasn't sent an invitation to the open house…

On 2/5/2018 at 2:13 PM, supremethiophene said:

I just called UChicago and they said that decisions will be available by the 15th of February and that they pushed the date back. I have a very good feeling that they wouldn't just push the date back for no reason other than that they are still making acceptances

Did nothing become of this again? Still haven't heard back from them.