2018 App Crunch Time

@a_sort_of_fractious_angel Oddly, no. When I started looking at schools I firmly said, "I want to stay in the North East and not go any further south than DC." So of course I'm applying to Duke, UNC, and UT Austin, with Texas Tech and Vanderbilt and on my "Maybe" list. The only North East schools on my list are Columbia, (girl can dream, right?) and Syracuse, with U Conn, Purdue, Rochester, Ohio State, and U of Illinois U-C rounding out my "Maybe" list. I'm still trying to narrow it down from fifteen to 8-10.

I see you've got the state and surrounding areas pretty well covered haha. Was location a primary factor for you in deciding on schools?

Hahah, that's the way that goes, right? 

And yes, lol. I did my MA in Virginia and realized that having friends/family within a reasonable distance is key to my overall well-being. Plus, for what I study, I think there are a lot of departments that range from "superstar" to "excellent" to "very good," all within the Philly area and at which I would be happy,  so I wanted to take advantage of that. 

I'm also open to alt-ac and non-ac paths (depending on the strengths of the program I attend) and, if I end up pursuing one of those career paths, I'd rather establish that professional identity near Philly / in-state.

On 11/21/2017 at 11:46 AM, bumbleblu said:

I just submitted my last application. Let's see what happens. 

Sending good thoughts to the rest of you!

Good, luck, it's a good feeling.  Make sure to drink plenty of wine and eat your favorite junk foods the next few months to help you ride out the period between now and February/March.  I am currently at one of the programs on your list, perhaps I will see you some time down the line.

I had a quick question for those of you who have already submitted apps about reporting your GPAs.

My undergraduate institution shows my GPA on my transcript (which I have to upload electronically) so it will match up with the number I put in the box.

My MA transcripts, however, don't show a GPA (even on the official forms) but I have used the institution's calculator to figure it out. 

Now - one of my applications asks ONLY for a GPA if listed on the transcript - easy enough. Most, however, don't specify one way or another. 

Is it alright to self-report? I've double and triple checked the number is right and I don't want to leave it blank. But I feel kind of weird doing it myself.

I've seen a lottt of mixed answers. I did some coursework for two years at a community college, but didn't get a degree there. All of my credits from there are shown on my transcript where I will be graduating. Do I need to submit a transcript from the CC as well? 

Just finished a draft of a SOP for another school on my list; took me some mulling over, but I'm actually pretty dang proud of it and it makes me want to go to that school even more. Nothing like grad school apps to make you put your hopes, dreams, goals, and interests into 500 words or less. 

1 hour ago, katie64 said:

I've seen a lottt of mixed answers. I did some coursework for two years at a community college, but didn't get a degree there. All of my credits from there are shown on my transcript where I will be graduating. Do I need to submit a transcript from the CC as well? 

Just finished a draft of a SOP for another school on my list; took me some mulling over, but I'm actually pretty dang proud of it and it makes me want to go to that school even more. Nothing like grad school apps to make you put your hopes, dreams, goals, and interests into 500 words or less. 

Ugh, that seems to be the consensus. I asked one program what they wanted - I may use their answer as a guidepost. My undergrad GPA is a 3.65 so I think I'll be fine "cut-off" wise, but the MA is a 3.84 and to not have it somewhere on the form makes me feel a little anxious. Such are apps, I suppose!

A few of my applications have explicitly stated they want transcripts from any previous institution, even if it was non-degree coursework. My guess would be to include it (hopefully most of your apps require the unofficial upload) just to be safe. 

And I know, right? I've been looking at coursework at a few schools I hadn't known too, too much about and I'm getting excited for them.

Just found out one of my schools doesn't require (or want) official GRE scores unless you are accepted... but they don't have this information anywhere on the website. It was buried in the middle of the online application. So I guess I could have saved $27, since I put them as one of my 4 free score reports. Hopefully sending them my official scores won't count against me in any way?

Also - took the GRE on the 22nd! My raw score for Verbal as 160, which I'm happy with, but I don't know how well Writing went. Still waiting on my official scores.

6 hours ago, unicornsarereal said:

Anyone else applying to UCLA? The English department doesn't list the personal history statement as a req but when I try to submit the form it's saying I need to fill out that portion. 

Any idea?

I decided to bite the bullet and submit a personal history statement anyway. I figure that I need it for other schools as well, and I believe that UCLA English required it last year...

Hey all -- I'm in my first year of my program and I was thinking today about this time last year and my worries about my apps and my chances and all that.

So I just wanted to drop a note saying to breathe. You'll be okay. Just work systematically and carefully. Focus on the sentence in front of you. 

You can spend a lot of emotional energy freaking out about your chances, but that actually won't help at all. The only thing that'll help is keeping yourself sane and working on the things that you can actually control. Spend time with your friends and family and know that this'll all be over soon. :) You can do it!! 

15 hours ago, la_mod said:

I decided to bite the bullet and submit a personal history statement anyway. I figure that I need it for other schools as well, and I believe that UCLA English required it last year...

Okay thanks. I'll do the same. I would be super pissed but thankfully another school requires it as well so I've got one.

• 3 weeks later...

The waiting part really got on my nerves. Fortunately, a professor gave me a heads-up in late January, which made everything easier.

One of my letter writers still hasn't submitted my letter (status says she started it yesterday) and it was due the 15th. I just graduated from college, and she saw me in class last Tuesday and said she had the draft done and was getting ready to submit it. She also saw me on Friday at school (the day it was due), and on Saturday (my graduation), and we are even friends on Facebook. I know this is an extremely busy time for professors, but I'm a little miffed and just hope the school is understanding about the later letter. 

8 hours ago, katie64 said:

One of my letter writers still hasn't submitted my letter (status says she started it yesterday) and it was due the 15th. I just graduated from college, and she saw me in class last Tuesday and said she had the draft done and was getting ready to submit it. She also saw me on Friday at school (the day it was due), and on Saturday (my graduation), and we are even friends on Facebook. I know this is an extremely busy time for professors, but I'm a little miffed and just hope the school is understanding about the later letter. 

How frustrating, I'm sorry. I strongly feel that the schools won't mibd about late letters. I would send an email to the faculty and say you are doing everything you can to get her to submi t the letter.

13 hours ago, katie64 said:

The same thing has happened to me. I sent a generic reminder email from the school. I'd do the same in a day or two. Schools understand this, I think/hope.

I'm still waiting for one of my letter writers...I emailed her 12 days ago to check in and was told not to worry, the letters would make it in. Nearly two weeks later, I'm definitely worried. I feel like I can't really do anything else at this point because it'll come across as pushy. I just can't believe they still haven't gotten them in! :(

Luckily, I have four letter writers--I've been alternating which ones I submit depending on the institution. The letter writers for the apps with earlier deadlines have all been very prompt, thank goodness. 

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

Hey, all - I hope this helps somewhat. I emailed one school (deadline 12/15) and they said they'd tell me on January 1 if I was missing anything, including letters. All to say, I think the depts need time to organize after the deadline + have break time. So, while your LWs have to submit eventually, yes, the importance of that deadline is more on us.

*This is my two-cents and may not hold up for all/any universities*

Thanks everyone. I'm trying not to stress about it, but I also have an app due Dec 30 and two on Jan 5, all of which I need this specific letter writer for. Additionally, my school seems like it won't be able to get my final transcript to me in time for these deadlines, so I've emailed all the grad schools explaining the situation and asking if I can upload an unofficial screenshot of my transcript instead, so I'm just a bit stressed out right now. :( I truly don't feel this was on me, either -- I requested the transcript from my school very far in advance, but I called today and the (sole) employee got snippy with me saying she probably couldn't get it done until mid-January. 

Late letters are the bane of my existence!

How important it is varies by school. UW-Madison, for example, *really* needs at least two letters to arrive not too long after the deadline. If you don't have those in, your application can't get forwarded to the admissions committee (which is already reviewing applications).

MSU already reviewed apps, and it sounds like they're done with that. I only had 1 letter in at the time they reviewed. :( Here's to hoping they really liked the rest of my app enough to overcome that handicap. :unsure:

I'd suggest checking with schools where your letters are late to see when they start reviewing apps. I'd been assuming schools didn't really start reviewing until Jan, so I was lax with my late letter writers at first. 

Edited by snickus