NYU Wagner 2018

nycpolicy

I applied by the 1 December deadline for the EMPA. Found out I'd a place on 2 March and found out today that I didn't receive any aid. I'm an African with several years experience in public policy. I didn't submit my WES or TOEFL scores even thought I'm an international student. 

I’m in (yay!), but no aid for me either. I knew Wagner was known for being sparse with aid, but zero funding is harsh. Still, being able to work while attending part time leans things a little towards Wagner. NY is expensive, though. What to doooo

Wondering if it’s worth making the trip out for admit activities. I live in LA and would lump the trip with a visit to another school that will reimburse some of my travel. Anybody have any wisdom on how useful admit days are?

Edited by misuny

39 minutes ago, misuny said:

I’m in (yay!), but no aid for me either. I knew Wagner was known for being sparse with aid, but zero funding is harsh. Still, being able to work while attending part time leans things a little towards Wagner. NY is expensive, though. What to doooo

Wondering if it’s worth making the trip out for admit activities. I live in LA and would lump the trip with a visit to another school that will reimburse some of my travel. Anybody have any wisdom on how useful admit days are?

Did you also get the check back in scholarship form? If you did, are you planning to fill it in? 

I'll be at the admitted student's day, and will be sure to relay my impressions here. It'd be nice to link up with any fellow gradcafers who can make it!

Edited by Tk2356

11 hours ago, byc123456 said:

For those who are admitted, anyone applied by Feb 16 and applied for MSPP program? Worried.

No need to worry. We're not scheduled to hear back until April, though I suppose we may hear back sooner. 

31 minutes ago, bumblybee said:

I got 30% tuition; I'm super grateful but NYU still seems prohibitively expensive.  :/

hey, congrats! what course did you get it for?

Also, as far as I can gauge, NYU tuition depends on the number of credits in a certain course. That makes courses like MSPP pretty costly.

12 minutes ago, brown queer said:

Hey! Did anyone here get an email from an NYU professor too? I got one & was just wondering if that’s a thing

I got an e-mail from the program director. The e-mail referenced my personal statement so it was refreshing to see that they didn't just send a mass e-mail.

4 minutes ago, MPPKollege said:

I got an e-mail from the program director. The e-mail referenced my personal statement so it was refreshing to see that they didn't just send a mass e-mail.

Yes! Mine also referenced the application meticulously, and was appreciative in general which was refreshing. No aid is still a bummer, so I’ll have to pass.

8 minutes ago, brown queer said:

Yes! Mine also referenced the application meticulously, and was appreciative in general which was refreshing. No aid is still a bummer, so I’ll have to pass.

Also no aid and no personalized emails. But I haven't gotten any from any school I've gotten into, aid or not!

5 minutes ago, lackey said:

Also no aid and no personalized emails. But I haven't gotten any from any school I've gotten into, aid or not!

I totally feel you! I actually read the (uplifting) email & part of me just went “Aww” while the other part was like: “All that is nice, Sir, but I’d have preferred if you’d given me aid instead...”

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:36 PM, Tinaway said:

Did you also get the check back in scholarship form? If you did, are you planning to fill it in? 

I'm not sure what that is, so I'm guessing I didn't get it. How was it sent to you?

@misuny I reached out to financial aid and based on my appeal letter they sent me the check back form. The only problem with the check back form for NYU is that if they provide you with aid you have up to 3 days to accept or define the offer. I'm waiting on a few more decisions so I have to wait to fill out the form. 

For those going to the admitted day activities, is there anything planned on the 19th and 20th of March? The initial letter mentioned 19-23 March but the sign up page has no activities for the first two days. I need to plan my travel accordingly so wondering if there is something different for 19-20 that I didn't receive.