Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

13 minutes ago, CLin94 said:

Hey All!

So I have a question about something.

Back in November a professor told me to save the date for an interview because they weren't allowed to formally invite me yet. I reached to them recently to send an application update and they replied but seemed much more cagey.  

I know the program has begun to offer formal interview invites so I'm thinking they aren't going to formally invite me to interview. 

I'm okay with not getting an interview at that program but am a little peeved at a professor for saying something and then going back on it. Should I say something? My intention would be to stop this from happening to students in the future. 

In November, did the professor specifically say that he/she intends to invite you but is just waiting for department approval? (i.e., something like "If your application advances to the next round of recruitment, you will be invited to interview weekend; therefore, I am asking you to save the date.") It could be that at the committee level, they decided to not extend an invite to you.

You could perhaps follow up politely and say something like, "Hi, you mentioned in November that I should save the date for a formal interview, and I am writing to follow up and see if the department has finished extending interview invites. I'm very much interested in this program and had hoped to get an invitation based on our previous correspondence." I wouldn't try to say something that directly implies the professor went back on it--academia is too small, and what is said goes around. 

Anyone apply to UNC Chapel Hill in a non-Clinical field? Their Clinical webpage indicates all invitations have been sent out, but I am unsure if this is the case for all fields of psych at UNC. Anyone know? I saw one invitation for Social at UNC on the results page, but that's it.

1 hour ago, CLin94 said:

Hey All!

So I have a question about something.

Back in November a professor told me to save the date for an interview because they weren't allowed to formally invite me yet. I reached to them recently to send an application update and they replied but seemed much more cagey.  

I know the program has begun to offer formal interview invites so I'm thinking they aren't going to formally invite me to interview. 

I'm okay with not getting an interview at that program but am a little peeved at a professor for saying something and then going back on it. Should I say something? My intention would be to stop this from happening to students in the future. 

Apparently, it is quite common for professors to string along applicants like this... have even heard stories about people being told by professor not accept offers from any other schools after an interview and then waiting and end up not getting an offer!! I've been advised from grad students to not take anything verbal too seriously 

On 1/6/2018 at 9:24 AM, Pandora! said:

Very excited to receive my first interview!!!  Would love to hear about the department /program a bit more if any of you have some info?

• School name: City University New York (CUNY)
  • Date interview invite received: Jan 6th 2018
  • Degree: PhD
  • Type: Critical Social and Personality Psychology
  • Notified via: Email
  • Interview date: February 7th 2018

P.S- Any news from UMich Social Psych??

Congrats! I got an interview to the program too. So excited-- see you there! Pm me if you'd like to chat about prepping or anything. 

For people that are traveling - what are you thoughts on plane attire? I am getting picked up at the airport but I current student (or students) and I am wondering if it's totally acceptable to wear comfy clothes or should I dress at least business casual? I don't want to look like a mess when I get off the plane but I also don't want to be super uncomfortable during my trip. 

On 1/14/2018 at 7:57 AM, memory_res said:

Hi Everyone! 

For those of you who were invited to Brown's CLPS open house, may I please learn whether you've been notified by your PI or with a mass email and what is the date of it?

Also, if anyone has heard from Harvard's Psychology grad program, I would really appreciated the answers to the same questions as well.

Thank you very much!

I was invited to the Open House in Brown and the invitation was sent both by the PI and the Department. Dates are 02/02 and 02/09 (choose one from it).

And I didn’t receive anything from Harvard either. Wish us best of luck!

32 minutes ago, cindyboop said:

For people that are traveling - what are you thoughts on plane attire? I am getting picked up at the airport but I current student (or students) and I am wondering if it's totally acceptable to wear comfy clothes or should I dress at least business casual? I don't want to look like a mess when I get off the plane but I also don't want to be super uncomfortable during my trip. 

I would go with something casual and comfy but also presentable. No sweats, obviously. But something like jeans and a nice top will work. As long as you look put together your grad student probably won't care that much.

13 minutes ago, AliCip said:

Has anyone heard from Utah or U of Michigan for social psych yet? 

I believe UMich Ann Arbor has sent out their invitations for social psych (interviews and/or acceptances). Or at least they did for personality and social contexts. Their interview/recruitment date is in February though so they might still be sending invites. 

11 minutes ago, Torple said:

I would go with something casual and comfy but also presentable. No sweats, obviously. But something like jeans and a nice top will work. As long as you look put together your grad student probably won't care that much.

I believe UMich Ann Arbor has sent out their invitations for social psych (interviews and/or acceptances). Or at least they did for personality and social contexts. Their interview/recruitment date is in February though so they might still be sending invites. 

Thanks for letting me know! I applied to the personality and social contexts. Congrats on the invite! Have you heard from Indiana University yet?

5 minutes ago, AliCip said:

Thanks for letting me know! I applied to the personality and social contexts. Congrats on the invite! Have you heard from Indiana University yet?

Thank you! I haven't heard anything from Indiana (I applied to the Bloomington campus). I haven't seen anything regarding their social psych program on here or on the survey page.

14 hours ago, AlexandraGrissell said:

Congrats! I got an interview to the program too. So excited-- see you there! Pm me if you'd like to chat about prepping or anything. 

Im interviewing at CUNY that same day but for Developmental Psych! Good luck all! 

I had a Skype interview a few weeks ago, and I just got an invite on Friday--I'm so excited!

School: Syracuse

Program: Social Psychology PhD

Notified by: Email from POI

Interview Type & Dates: In-person, Feb. 15 - Feb. 17

Good luck to everyone!

2 hours ago, cindyboop said:

I just went to my first interview last week and I actually flew in leggings and a sweatshirt and then changed/made myself less gross in the bathroom before I got picked up. Flying just makes me feel really sweaty (plus added interview nerves), so if you have extra time at the airport I'd recommend changing there! 

12 minutes ago, jk616 said:

I just went to my first interview last week and I actually flew in leggings and a sweatshirt and then changed/made myself less gross in the bathroom before I got picked up. Flying just makes me feel really sweaty (plus added interview nerves), so if you have extra time at the airport I'd recommend changing there! 

That's a really good tip, thank you! 

On 1/12/2018 at 8:00 PM, ilikepsych said:

In case people were wondering about University of Virginia (Community Psychology)--POI emailed today asking to chat about my research interests next week, and told me to save the date for "recruitment/interview weekend" (Feb 9-10) in case I make it to the next round. 

Just curious, who was your POI?

On 1/14/2018 at 1:40 PM, Stauce said:

Anyone apply to UNC Chapel Hill in a non-Clinical field? Their Clinical webpage indicates all invitations have been sent out, but I am unsure if this is the case for all fields of psych at UNC. Anyone know? I saw one invitation for Social at UNC on the results page, but that's it.

I was also wondering about that. I had an informal Skype interview with my POI from the social area there before applications were due and thought I had an OK chance of being invited to a formal interview, but I have heard nothing so far.   

11 minutes ago, Social_psyc said:

I was also wondering about that. I had an informal Skype interview with my POI from the social area there before applications were due and thought I had an OK chance of being invited to a formal interview, but I have heard nothing so far.   

Yeah, someone had informed me they received an official invitation from the department so I think it's unlikely I'll receive an invitation (unless something anomalous occurs like someone drops out perhaps). Disappointing, but life moves on

7 hours ago, cindyboop said:

4 hours ago, jk616 said:

I would definitely recommend looking professional when getting picked up. If you want to go comfy and change in the airport bathroom, that's fine! Whatever helps you stay calm for your interview :) I also wouldn't go any more casual than dark wash jeans. Remember, business casual can definitely be comfortable while still looking professional! Two things to keep in mind are that it's always better to be overdressed than under, and every interaction with current students in the program can be and probably is being evaluated. Additionally, if you've been contacted by or given contact info for the graduate student hosting you, you could reach out to them and ask about what to expect for the weekend!

30 minutes ago, b_l91 said:

I would definitely recommend looking professional when getting picked up. If you want to go comfy and change in the airport bathroom, that's fine! Whatever helps you stay calm for your interview :) I also wouldn't go any more casual than dark wash jeans. Remember, business casual can definitely be comfortable while still looking professional! Two things to keep in mind are that it's always better to be overdressed than under, and every interaction with current students in the program can be and probably is being evaluated. Additionally, if you've been contacted by or given contact info for the graduate student hosting you, you could reach out to them and ask about what to expect for the weekend!

Thanks! I don't want to sound too needy to the graduate student hosting me. I'll definitely put more thought into my outfit. So many variables to consider!

On 1/13/2018 at 8:27 AM, Psychapplica said:

How is everyone able to afford all the travel costs?!?!?!!! Does anyone have any tips, tricks, websites, etc.? I just got back from an interview, and now I’m trying to plan for another one. Neither offer travel reimbursement (both at least are paying for meals). I was able to drive to the first (6 hour drive) I do not want to drive to another one (9 hour drive). 

?

@Psychapplica

I typically find the best prices on momondo.com , kayak.com/flights , or google flights.  I keep updated on the best prices and choose which airline to fly based on what I find there.  Also, depending on what airports you would depart from and arrive to, Southwest Airlines often has good priced flights if you can snag one early (check their website).  If you would be checking a bag, Southwest is also good bc they provide 2 free checked bags.. most airlines don't offer that.. so bringing your things as a carry-on would save money otherwise.

Hope this helps!!

47 minutes ago, psychedelic2 said:

Has anyone heard from Colorado State's counseling program yet?

I applied here too and have not heard anything as of yet from the program. Also no one has posted on the other forums about receiving anything from Colorado State's Counseling program. Last year the invitations came out on 1/20/2017 so hopefully we hear something this week. 

10 minutes ago, SisterlockedPhD2Be said:

I applied here too and have not heard anything as of yet from the program. Also no one has posted on the other forums about receiving anything from Colorado State's Counseling program. Last year the invitations came out on 1/20/2017 so hopefully we hear something this week. 

Thank you for sharing!!  I will post on here if/when I hear from the program.