Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

54 minutes ago, AceJace2 said:

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if anyone on this thread is interested in Health Psychology PhD (non-clinical) programs, but I have included what I know below:

School: North Carolina State University 

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Applied Social and Community Psychology, Ph.D.

Interview type: On-campus interview.

Date: Feb 1st-3rd

School: Kent State University 

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Health Psychology, Ph.D.

Date: Feb 9th-10th

School: University of North Carolina at Charlotte

Date: TBD-Have to do an alternative interview date. Will most likely be in Feb. Original date was Jan 26th

School: Virginia Commonwealth University

Interview type: On-campus interview was offered but I have to do a Skype due to financial trouble. To be fair VCU isn't the highest on my list so I justified it. My POI made the point to say that he has accepted people over Skype before.

Date: TBD-Have to do Skype interview. Will most likely be in Feb. Original date was Feb 8th or 16th 

Also applied: University of Utah Social Psychology Ph.D.; University of Houston Social Psychology and Health Ph.D.; and Purdue University Health Communication Ph.D.

Utah interview day is Feb 9th and I haven't heard so my hope is low. Houston application was due on Jan 15th so they have time to review. I have no idea about Purdue lol. Hoping for the best! I've never done on-campus interviews before.

I also was invited to interview at UNCC, but couldn't make the date. I've ended up setting up skype interviews instead. I would be interested to know how you end up liking it once you visit!

12 minutes ago, th3redrabbit said:

I also was invited to interview at UNCC, but couldn't make the date. I've ended up setting up skype interviews instead. I would be interested to know how you end up liking it once you visit!

Yea I couldn't make the Jan 26th date either. It was a super fast turnaround. If I can't make the alternative date then I will do Skype. I will for sure let you know. It isn't my first choice but I am excited.

8 minutes ago, AceJace2 said:

Yea I couldn't make the Jan 26th date either. It was a super fast turnaround. If I can't make the alternative date then I will do Skype. I will for sure let you know. It isn't my first choice but I am excited.

Same, feel free to message me! I think I'll be having skype interviews next week or the week after.

1 hour ago, AceJace2 said:

Did you get any travel reimbursement from Kent? I did not. They will drive me around, pay for meals, and allow me to stay with another grad student. The only school that did travel reimbursement was North Carolina State. 

Kent did not offer anything. Did you have a skype interview with your POI beforehand? I had a formal Skype interview with mine s few days after the application deadline. 

1 hour ago, Developmental33 said:

Kent did not offer anything. Did you have a skype interview with your POI beforehand? I had a formal Skype interview with mine s few days after the application deadline. 

I had a phone call a few days after the application deadline with my POI. Received official interview offer 2 weeks after. Looking forward to it to be honest. Kent is my #2 school rn.

I've applied to the counseling psychology PhD program at the University of Massachusetts Boston. It looks like a mass email went out last Friday (1/12) for invites but I'm wondering if it's possible they send out invites in waves? I was in contact with their admissions office and the person I spoke to said my application was still in line to be reviewed on 1/10, so I'm hoping I may be offered an interview in a second wave of emails. Just wondering - thanks!

Has anyone heard from the following:

* Michigan State: Ecological/Community Psych

* Peabody (Vanderbilt): CRA (research & action)

According to the results page, an international student heard from Vandy, and MSU has extended early admission/fellowship offers to two students---- Anyone have any additional info?

Edited by Fiona_

On 1/18/2018 at 2:26 PM, rich uncle skeleton said:

Asked this in a separate thread but figured it might work here (I'm looking at developmental psych programs):

I have a few visits coming up and I was wondering if I should be emailing with my POI before them about research ideas, or if I should just wait until the weekend to discuss everything. I feel like it's weird to go somewhat silent, but I don't want to be sending insignificant emails just to keep up contact. Does anyone have any advice for this situation? 

I'v applied to developmental psychology programs as well and I'm waiting to meet with the supervisors to discuss research ideas. This is mostly because I stated my research interests in my statement letter. Graduate students have told me that the interview process is important for them to see how well you and the POI can bounce around ideas for research and how your personality fits with the lab. Personally, I feel more comfortable expressing my interests and research ideas in person so that way I can see how the POI feels and can know their tone and feelings about it, in comparison to emails which can be hard to tell. However, you could send an email maybe before the interview and say how you're looking forward to it and would be interested to further talk about their research and yours and see if they would like to communicate more in email prior to the date.

I've seen a few posters about Indiana State University's PsyD program - invitations are going out today!! I just got a call which will be followed up by an email. Dates are 2/9 or 2/16. Good luck to everyone!

Applied (10): University of Kentucky (CO), Oklahoma State University (Cl), Arizona State University (Co), University of Colorado Denver (Cl),  University of Northern Colorado (Co), University of Denver (PsyD), Indiana State University (PsyD), University of Maryland - College Park (CFT/FMSC), Purdue University (HDFS), Virginia Tech (HDFS)

Interview Offered (7/10): University of Kentucky (CO), Oklahoma State University (Cl), University of Northern Colorado (Co), Virginia Tech (HDFS),  University of Maryland - College Park (CFT/FMSC), University of Colorado Denver (Cl), Indiana State University (PsyD)

Accepted (?/10): 

Rejected/Assumed Rejected (1/10): University of Denver (PsyD) 

I was wondering how long everyone waited until they contacted either the admissions page or their POI regarding if they got rejected or not? I've seen one person get an interview for this school which is in 2 weeks - should I assume I didn't get in? I thought that I would at least get an interview seeing as I was able to meet the POI previously and that they know my current supervisors, or that she would at least send an email saying she couldn't take me. I don't want to seem impatient and bother them, but I would really like to know if I got rejected. :( 

3 hours ago, Sushicat1221 said:

I was wondering how long everyone waited until they contacted either the admissions page or their POI regarding if they got rejected or not? I've seen one person get an interview for this school which is in 2 weeks - should I assume I didn't get in? I thought that I would at least get an interview seeing as I was able to meet the POI previously and that they know my current supervisors, or that she would at least send an email saying she couldn't take me. I don't want to seem impatient and bother them, but I would really like to know if I got rejected. :( 

I would err on the side of not asking about the status of your application. The PI who I currently work with advised against this and said it would be more appropriate for her to reach out regarding my status. She also told me which POIs I should assume already sent invites. If you work closely with anyone who might have inside  info, I would suggest asking for their advice first! 

School: University of Akron

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: Counseling Psychology

Interview type: In-person

Date: February 16th (February 15th informal meet-and-greet)

Would love to hear from any other interviewees!

Edited by Ktf722

On 12/18/2017 at 4:21 PM, Psychologyandpizza said:

Well I’m assuming I’m not getting an interview at Kentucky then! I did get one from Denver though. I also applied to Madison, and Tennessee as well and saw that Tennessee started sending theirs out as well as Madison so not crossing my fingers for those anymore. Also applied to ASU, North Dakota, Kansas City, Rochester(clinical), and Virginia Commonwealth. Good luck! I hope you get more interviews! 

Good luck at Denver! I went there for my MA

On 1/19/2018 at 10:12 AM, pysch27 said:

I've applied to the counseling psychology PhD program at the University of Massachusetts Boston. It looks like a mass email went out last Friday (1/12) for invites but I'm wondering if it's possible they send out invites in waves? I was in contact with their admissions office and the person I spoke to said my application was still in line to be reviewed on 1/10, so I'm hoping I may be offered an interview in a second wave of emails. Just wondering - thanks!

I am actually still waiting to hear back from them as well but for DBS program and also BU too...Honestly I don't think they have gone through all the applications yet? there are barely any posts on grad cafe (even though not everyone posts) plus there semester hasn't started so I suspect there will be a lot more going out this week and next. Hang in there! I'm trying to take my own advice but the waiting game is killing me....might end up calling to see what they say

Applied (15): University of Kentucky (So), Purdue University (So), University of Michigan (So & WGS), Penn State (So & WGS), Syracuse University (So), Stony Brook University (So & H), SUNY Albany (So), University of Utah (So), Colorado State University (So & H), Rutgers (So), Indiana University (So), IUPUI (So & Org), York University (So), University of Nebraska-Lincoln (So), University of Pittsburgh (Dev)

Skype Interview (3/15)Syracuse University (So), University of Nebraska-Lincoln (So), University of Pittsburgh (Dev)

In Person Interview Offered (2/15): University of Nebraska-Lincoln (So), University of Pittsburgh (Dev)

Rejected/Assumed Rejected (3/15)University of Michigan (So & WGS), Penn State (So & WGS), Syracuse University (So)

Waiting to Hear (10/15): University of Kentucky (So), Purdue University (So), Stony Brook University (So & H), SUNY Albany (So), University of Utah (So), Colorado State University (So & H), Rutgers (So), Indiana University (So), IUPUI (So & Org), York University (So) * If anyone has heard from these programs please reply!

If anyone is also interviewing at University of Nebraska-Lincoln or Pittsburgh feel free to get in touch! 

Edited by AliCip

On 1/18/2018 at 5:10 PM, Developmental33 said:

Hey! I'll be at Kent for dev psych on Feb 2nd. Kent didn't offer any travel reimbursement when I was first invited to interview weekend, but I just received an email a couple of days ago from my POI informing me that the department could reimburse me for reasonable travel costs up to $400, so it's possible that you'll just hear about getting reimbursed later.

2 hours ago, applesauceboss said:

Hey! I'll be at Kent for dev psych on Feb 2nd. Kent didn't offer any travel reimbursement when I was first invited to interview weekend, but I just received an email a couple of days ago from my POI informing me that the department could reimburse me for reasonable travel costs up to $400, so it's possible that you'll just hear about getting reimbursed later.

I was offered reimbursement when I was invited (health psych). My POI said they only have funds to cover air travel for selected candidates.
I think/hope there is a strong possibility of getting reimbursed later. My travel costs are only going to be $200 so hopefully the other $200 is able to be applied to someone else?

On 1/20/2018 at 4:32 PM, psychonerd said:

I am actually still waiting to hear back from them as well but for DBS program and also BU too...Honestly I don't think they have gone through all the applications yet? there are barely any posts on grad cafe (even though not everyone posts) plus there semester hasn't started so I suspect there will be a lot more going out this week and next. Hang in there! I'm trying to take my own advice but the waiting game is killing me....might end up calling to see what they say

Yea, I may contact their counseling psychology PhD admissions director again tomorrow. I'm afraid of coming across as too pushy but if their interview date is really 2/9 I need to know soon...

So, I just had my first interview a few days ago, and I actually loved the school + program a lot more than I thought I would. We did 20 minutes with each professor (4). My first interview went well, my middle two were great, and my last one was okay. It's got me freaked out though because the last professor that I interviewed with is who I want to work with primarily. For context, my last interview was approximately 6 hours after the day had started, so both of us were quite socially drained by that point. I'm really hoping that the other 3 professors will reassure my POI that I did fantastic in the other interviews :unsure: 

Also: got flat out rejected from two schools that I thought I had a great match with, both research-wise and gpa/GRE-wise. It's kind of got me down. 

Edited by ezraontheinternet

6 hours ago, ezraontheinternet said:

So, I just had my first interview a few days ago, and I actually loved the school + program a lot more than I thought I would. We did 20 minutes with each professor (4). My first interview went well, my middle two were great, and my last one was okay. It's got me freaked out though because the last professor that I interviewed with is who I want to work with primarily. For context, my last interview was approximately 6 hours after the day had started, so both of us were quite socially drained by that point. I'm really hoping that the other 3 professors will reassure my POI that I did fantastic in the other interviews :unsure: 

Also: got flat out rejected from two schools that I thought I had a great match with, both research-wise and gpa/GRE-wise. It's kind of got me down. 

Hey ezraontheinternet, how do you know you got rejected from UMass Boston's Counseling PhD program? I'm still waiting to hear something from them... Thanks!

24 minutes ago, pysch27 said:

Hey ezraontheinternet, how do you know you got rejected from UMass Boston's Counseling PhD program? I'm still waiting to hear something from them... Thanks!

Well, the interview date is February 9th and people got invitations about 10 days ago. I just took the hint. 

1 hour ago, ezraontheinternet said:

Well, the interview date is February 9th and people got invitations about 10 days ago. I just took the hint. 

@Psych27 You guys shouldn't count yourselves out yet I just got an interview for their feb 9th for a different subdivision! better late than never!