Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

I saw that one person got invited to UC Irvine's interview weekend for the Social area at the end of January. Has anyone else heard from UC Irvine? They reached out early in December saying that my application looks very favorable and mentioning an issue with funding and that they'd notify me as things change. A few days later their website got updated indicating that the funding issue got resolved, but I haven't been contacted again. I assume that for an end-of-January weekend the invites must have been sent out already - does anyone who has applied to UC Irvine's Social area have more information by any chance? Thanks! 

20 hours ago, Exh1994 said:

I saw that one person got invited to UC Irvine's interview weekend for the Social area at the end of January. Has anyone else heard from UC Irvine? They reached out early in December saying that my application looks very favorable and mentioning an issue with funding and that they'd notify me as things change. A few days later their website got updated indicating that the funding issue got resolved, but I haven't been contacted again. I assume that for an end-of-January weekend the invites must have been sent out already - does anyone who has applied to UC Irvine's Social area have more information by any chance? Thanks! 

I don't have any further information :( - but I just wanted to say that I applied to the same area and haven't heard anything, other than emailing back and forth with the graduate director in early December due to some transcript issues. 

I saw that same invite and it seems to line up with last year's invite dates, but I thought it was strange that there has only been one report so far. I'm still holding out hope! Good luck!

Does anyone have any information on the University of Oregon's School Psychology doctoral program invitations? According to their website, the interview date is 1/25-26. I feel like because of how close it is, I didn't get invited for an interview, but I'm still holding on to hope until I see it for sure! Please let me know if anyone knows anything! Thanks

I have received a few interviews and one "unofficial" acceptance to U of Minnesota, the PI I want to work with contacted me and said I was accepted without an interview. Is this normal I thought an interview was always required? I did skype with him before I submitted my application so I'm not sure if he counted that as an unofficial interview. Either way I am extremely delighted since I am really attracted to his lab. 

Also - has anyone heard back from NYU - I know their interview weekend tends to be early February so I figure the interview invites were sent out by now can anyone confirm this? 

Edited by Cognition001

30 minutes ago, Cognition001 said:

I have received a few interviews and one "unofficial" acceptance to U of Minnesota, the PI I want to work with contacted me and said I was accepted without an interview. Is this normal I thought an interview was always required? I did skype with him before I submitted my application so I'm not sure if he counted that as an unofficial interview. Either way I am extremely delighted since I am really attracted to his lab. 

Also - has anyone heard back from NYU - I know their interview weekend tends to be early February so I figure the interview invites were sent out by now can anyone confirm this? 

I think the faculty in NYU's Cognition and Perception department are still making decisions about in-person invites. I have a phone call with one of the faculty members on the 9th, so I'd imagine the deadline for submitting candidate names for their recruitment weekend will be some time shortly thereafter.

8 hours ago, Cognition001 said:

It could be normal--a number of programs do this. University of Michigan's developmental psychology program didn't do interviews (formal or informal) last year and the year prior according to the results page. They did do phone interviews this year, though, however. 

9 hours ago, Cognition001 said:

NYU C&P and Social Programs met before the holidays. It’s possible that some interviews have yet to go out officially but you most likely would have heard at least about a Skype interview at this point. C&P does 2 interview weekends on 2/23 and I think 2/16.

9 hours ago, Cognition001 said:

I emailed one of the psychology coordinator's to ask if all invites have been sent out for NYU's social area. I applied to the social area but my focus is neuroscience and my POI is also a member of the cognition and perception department. Once I hear back will be sure to update y'all.

Also I got an email on December 12 requesting my GRE's scores so that the department could formally review my application. Based on our previous back and forth I assuming most applications have been reviewed even if not all invitations have gone out. 

If anybody has heard from UCLA's social neuroscience faculty  can you DM me your POI.  

I'm holding onto naïve strand of  hope that perhaps not all invitations have gone out because the department admin emailed me that interview invitations will go out exactly two weeks before interview weekend...and I believe two weeks will be tomorrow...or if you have heard from Jennifer Silvers via the developmental area could you DM me as well. 

Edited by hg92

I received an email from my POI in the cognitive area at UC San Diego last night inviting me to their open house! I had a Skype interview with my POI last month, and I'm super excited to be going to the next round.

• School name: UCSD (UC San Diego)
  • Date interview invite received: January 3
  • Degree: PhD
  • Type: Psychology (Cognitive)
  • Notified via: Email
  • Open house dates: February 1-2

16 minutes ago, Trillian8 said:

Anyone else terrified that invites from your programs already went out and none of the invitees are on grad cafe so they never uploaded their results??

YES! Right there with you.... I've even tried going back in the results to see when invitations have gone out in previous years to help ease my anxiety.

2 hours ago, Trillian8 said:

Anyone else terrified that invites from your programs already went out and none of the invitees are on grad cafe so they never uploaded their results??

I understand where you're coming from, but I wouldn't worry yet. It seems that historically, most invites for social psychology occur on January 5th or 6th, January 11th or 12th, or possibly later.

Besides that, I also just looking at the frequency of counseling and clinical psychology invites relative to other fields of psychology should be informative. Granted, there are likely more people applying to clinical. But it does seem as if the invites for clinical psychology just seem to come earlier.

Edited by Stauce

I know that in past years University of Michigan (social area) decisions weren't sent out until mid January at the earliest, but has anyone heard anything from UMich? No one's posted on the results page, but I'm getting antsy and thought I'd ask if anyone has any info/has heard from POIs.

57 minutes ago, turpentine said:

I know that in past years University of Michigan (social area) decisions weren't sent out until mid January at the earliest, but has anyone heard anything from UMich? No one's posted on the results page, but I'm getting antsy and thought I'd ask if anyone has any info/has heard from POIs.

I applied to the joint psych and women's studies program, but the POIs that I was interested in were all in the social department too, so I assume the timelines are similar. I haven't heard anything though

1 hour ago, turpentine said:

I heard from developmental psychology at UM—they are requesting phone/Skype interviews with top applicants. It’s interesting because they did not do interviews in previous years. From what I remember, social area doesn’t do interviews so you should see an accept/reject email by the end of January. 

Has anyone heard back from University of Maryland, College Park (I know somebody did for a non psych degree earlier on in this thread), Teachers College @ Columbia University, or Georgia State?

i'm just super anxious that a rejection email is coming soon :(

On 1/3/2018 at 9:58 AM, j_clapemoji_k_clapemoji said:

I think the faculty in NYU's Cognition and Perception department are still making decisions about in-person invites. I have a phone call with one of the faculty members on the 9th, so I'd imagine the deadline for submitting candidate names for their recruitment weekend will be some time shortly thereafter.

Was your phone call something you set up pre-application, or was it an interview to inform recruitment weekend invites? I applied to C&P but have not heard anything from them. Thanks, and good luck!

18 hours ago, pettyaspraxis said:

Has anyone heard back from University of Maryland, College Park (I know somebody did for a non psych degree earlier on in this thread), Teachers College @ Columbia University, or Georgia State?

i'm just super anxious that a rejection email is coming soon :(

I had a skype interview with my POI at UMD last month but was not officially invited to an interview at the school. However, my POI informed me that interviews for my program (Developmental) would likely be sent out towards the middle/end of January. They also said that the developmental program is one of the later programs to make these decisions as compared to CNS. I'm sorry you're feeling the pressure but I don't think by any means it is too late for you. Keep holding on to hope! Good luck!!!

2 hours ago, PNWqueen said:

I had a skype interview with my POI at UMD last month but was not officially invited to an interview at the school. However, my POI informed me that interviews for my program (Developmental) would likely be sent out towards the middle/end of January. They also said that the developmental program is one of the later programs to make these decisions as compared to CNS. I'm sorry you're feeling the pressure but I don't think by any means it is too late for you. Keep holding on to hope! Good luck!!!

Thanks for the information and reassurance <3

I applied via the counseling psych phd program in the department of education so maybe the timeline may be different. Good luck to you as well :)

Very excited to receive my first interview!!!  Would love to hear about the department /program a bit more if any of you have some info?

• School name: City University New York (CUNY)
  • Date interview invite received: Jan 6th 2018
  • Degree: PhD
  • Type: Critical Social and Personality Psychology
  • Notified via: Email
  • Interview date: February 7th 2018

P.S- Any news from UMich Social Psych??