Fall 2018 Psych PhD Interviews (not clinical)

vallaboop

Hey guys,

This waiting game is killing me. 

Got some UC Berkeley news.

Odd process where I emailed POI in November, didn't hear back from him until 12/14, had a quick video chat where he did most of the talking but seemed really interested. Sent thank you email afterward thanks and still haven't received a response. 

Got an interview invitation from Berkeley's social psych head on Monday night.

Best luck to everyone!

Hey everyone, 

I just got off the phone with a POI at UCLA for the developmental psychology program. We had a nice chat (if not a little scattered). However, he didnt mention anything about formal interviews, but seemed to like the conversation.

Is it typical to recieve a formal invite during this type of conversation or should I expect that during a post-email (or not at all)?

Just wanted to get thoughts/ others experiences!!

Edited by Boronmage

3 hours ago, Boronmage said:

Hey everyone, 

I just got off the phone with a POI at UCLA for the developmental psychology program. We had a nice chat (if not a little scattered). However, he didnt mention anything about formal interviews, but seemed to like the conversation.

Is it typical to recieve a formal invite during this type of conversation or should I expect that during a post-email (or not at all)?

Just wanted to get thoughts/ others experiences!!

It's likely that your potential advisor has had or has arranged similar phone conversations with a few other candidates and will invite the candidate(s) he like(s) best to his department's recruitment day / weekend. I think that's how these pre-interview phone calls typically work.

7 hours ago, Torple said:

Hey guys,

This waiting game is killing me. 

Got some UC Berkeley news.

Odd process where I emailed POI in November, didn't hear back from him until 12/14, had a quick video chat where he did most of the talking but seemed really interested. Sent thank you email afterward thanks and still haven't received a response. 

Got an interview invitation from Berkeley's social psych head on Monday night.

Best luck to everyone!

Congratulations!

Hey guys,

I copied this announcement from Berkeley Psychology website: 

Interview invitations for Fall 2018 admission were sent via email to all selected applicants on December 20th, 3:00PM Pacific Standard Time. Applicants not receiving an invitation are unlikely to advance in the admissions process, but all applications remain open until final decisions are made and applicants notified.

I haven't received that email yet so I guess I was rejected... really sad because that is my favorite lab...

Good luck everyone!

Just received a preliminary skype interview(interesting though not with my POI) but in regards to him with two other faculty members  USC. 

Department:  Cognitive Neuroscience

Anybody who has had one before have advice on how to approach a skype interview. What questions did they ask you?

Do programs send interview invites out all at once? I just saw on the survey someone was invited for an interview at a school that I thought was my safety school. I'm really upset...

Edited by cindyboop

1 hour ago, cindyboop said:

Do programs send interview invites out all at once? I just saw on the survey someone was invited for an interview at a school that I thought was my safety school. I'm really upset...

I think it depends on the program; I don't think all of them send mass invites. And even the ones that do, they might do so in batches. Don't get discouraged.

13 minutes ago, pataka said:

I think it depends on the program; I don't think all of them send mass invites. And even the ones that do, they might do so in batches. Don't get discouraged.

Okay I'll try :( it's hard though. But thank you!

Anyone know what the timeline is like for social psychology, particularly compared to clinical, for most programs? I am noticing increasingly more people receiving invite emails and POIs reaching out, and I concede, it is making me a bit nervous. I am trying not get disheartened, and I suppose one thing I keep wondering is if a lot of the posts I see are clinical because clinical receives emails first or if it is just because there are more clinical people posting on this forum. Anyone have thoughts? Does social tend to send out emails and invites later, in general?

Finally an interview! I'm so excited!!!

School: University of Wisconsin Milwaukee

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: neuroscience (within psychology program)

Interview type: on campus, February 2

Edited by cindyboop

19 minutes ago, cindyboop said:

Finally an interview! I'm so excited!!!

School: University of Wisconsin Milwaukee

Track and/or specialization within psychology program: neuroscience (within psychology program)

Interview type: on campus, February 2

Congratulations! Hopefully you get a few more ay. (Wasn't this also the one you had trouble with the application? Hahah)

Edited by loffire

10 minutes ago, loffire said:

Congratulations! Hopefully you get a few more ay. (Wasn't this also the one you had trouble with the application? Hahah)

Hopefully, thank you!!! It was haha so funny that yesterday I was freaking out about not fully submitting my application and today I get an interview invite :P

At this point, I'm just waiting until tomorrow for all of my hopes and dreams to be crushed. I'm sure many others are in the same boat.

Also, for an update on UW interview invites, POI told me that the faculty will have area meetings in early/mid January, and then applicants will receive official invites after that (early-mid Jan).

8 hours ago, SocialPsych2018 said:

At this point, I'm just waiting until tomorrow for all of my hopes and dreams to be crushed. I'm sure many others are in the same boat.

Also, for an update on UW interview invites, POI told me that the faculty will have area meetings in early/mid January, and then applicants will receive official invites after that (early-mid Jan).

Hey, I don't know the process clearly or what dates schools usually get back to you, and I admit I am nervous too. But I really wouldn't be so fatalistic about the end of today. I think there's a distinct possibility various schools send them out the week after Christmas or after New Years. Don't let the fact that you observe a lot of invites here skew your perspective. There's still many more schools/invites to go.

I see that you are Social Psychology-- If you look here , you'll find that not many schools have sent out formal, mass emails for interview invitations for social psychology yet.

Finally heard back from UCLA! This week has been so stressful waiting for official word after the phone interview hahah. This is probably my top choice - so stoked! 

School Name: UCLA
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/22/17
Degree: PhD
Type: Social Psychology
Notified via: Phone Call 
Interview Date: 1/18 - 1/20/2018

34 minutes ago, ZachOxford said:

Finally heard back from UCLA! This week has been so stressful waiting for official word after the phone interview hahah. This is probably my top choice - so stoked! 

ahhh I'm so bummed! I was waiting on learn&behav. area to get back to me...I feel like they must have gone out already then. Congratulations! good luck!! ....ACTUALLY just called the department so I am not out of luck yet! For all of you still looking into UCLA some of their areas won't be sending out invitations till mid january because the interviews will be in feb.!

Edited by psychonerd
update!

Anyone else not heard back about interviews or anything? I'm starting to get super nervous. I applied to 6 programs, all social psych PhD, and feel I'm a really strong candidate. But the interview weekends all seem to be in mid/late January and I expected to have an invite or two by now :(

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, Logan B. said:

nothing is worse right now than receiving stupid spam emails about cat litter coupons. Or emails (thanks to taking the GRE) from schools that are like "INVITED ....to apply!".

ahhhh

Those GRE subscription emails from random schools are the worst right now! Never should have checked that box.

:mellow::D "I've got edu email!" :blink::wacko: "It's spam." <_<-_- *ready for repeat* :mellow: :D ...

52 minutes ago, rnf13 said:

Anyone else not heard back about interviews or anything? I'm starting to get super nervous. I applied to 6 programs, all social psych PhD, and feel I'm a really strong candidate. But the interview weekends all seem to be in mid/late January and I expected to have an invite or two by now :(

I've had no responses from any of my programs. You are not alone!

6 hours ago, rnf13 said:

I think most Social Psychology programs haven’t sent interview invites yet. For most of the programs I applied to the official interview days are in early/mid February, so I am hoping invites will likely happen after the holidays. If it’s any consolation, last year I received an interview invite late February. I don’t think that is typical, but it can happen.