Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, bpilgrim89 said:

Congratulations!!! Would you mind tell us if it's an informal email from a POI or an official offer letter from the DGS? Either way, it looks like you might not be the only one!

Not at all!!! It was an official letter, posted to the portal. I got an email to check the portal and there it was! I have no idea if they were all posted at once, etc etc., obviously, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, punctilious said:

I swear this cycle is just FULL of surprises. I am so happy for you @automatic. Slightly teary. :)

Thank you so much :) I'm teary too, I can't believe it, I started crying when I saw it and on the phone with my mom after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, automatic said:

I just got into Columbia!!!!! I actually did not post on the board, so that must be another. I have been rejected from all 7 of my other programs, and this was the last place I was waiting on, and I just got accepted. Oh my god. I am beyond happy, grateful, and shocked. I've been looking at options for next year assuming I'd have to apply again for another round. YOU GUYS. 

OMG holy crap! Way to keep hope alive! Congratulations!!

Edited by M(allthevowels)H
Sometimes I spell like an ibex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

OMG holy crap! Way to keep hope alive! Congratulations!!

Thank you so much :) it's surreal. I was crying at work the other day after my 6th rejection came back and just started a separate thread here about MA programs still accepting applications! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DeePee16 said:

Do we now assume that Columbia is done and dusted?

My assumption is most likely, since it was a portal update (I feel like those are generally all at once?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, automatic said:

Thank you so much :) it's surreal. I was crying at work the other day after my 6th rejection came back and just started a separate thread here about MA programs still accepting applications! 

You're going down in Grad Cafe history, you know! You only need one, and sometimes that one is COLUMBIA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, automatic said:

Not at all!!! It was an official letter, posted to the portal. I got an email to check the portal and there it was! I have no idea if they were all posted at once, etc etc., obviously, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Thank you so much for the clarity!
 

7 minutes ago, DeePee16 said:

Do we now assume that Columbia is done and dusted?

I am going to think that. There could still be waitlist decisions, but acceptances on the portal seem like a wave notice instead of a one-by-one notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bpilgrim89 said:

Thank you so much for the clarity!
 

I am going to think that. There could still be waitlist decisions, but acceptances on the portal seem like a wave notice instead of a one-by-one notice.

Okay. Thank you! So happy for the people who sailed through :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, punctilious said:

You're going down in Grad Cafe history, you know! You only need one, and sometimes that one is COLUMBIA!

It's true!!!!!!!!! You only need one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD I'm so happy this is CRAZY what a rollercoaster week!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, automatic said:

It's true!!!!!!!!! You only need one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD I'm so happy this is CRAZY what a rollercoaster week!!!!

Awwww I'm so excited for you! I know I don't know you but I could cry rn. Woohoo!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, automatic said:

I just got into Columbia!!!!! I actually did not post on the board, so that must be another. I have been rejected from all 7 of my other programs, and this was the last place I was waiting on, and I just got accepted. Oh my god. I am beyond happy, grateful, and shocked. I've been looking at options for next year assuming I'd have to apply again for another round. YOU GUYS. 

Congrats! That's awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2018 at 4:08 PM, bpilgrim89 said:

Thank you so much for the clarity!
 

I am going to think that. There could still be waitlist decisions, but acceptances on the portal seem like a wave notice instead of a one-by-one notice.

Actually if I remember correctly from past years, Columbia has tended to notify based on subfield, so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Narrative Nancy said:

Awwww I'm so excited for you! I know I don't know you but I could cry rn. Woohoo!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! Ah this feels so cheesy but I am just so excited to be a student again and be back studying English next fall! I've missed it so much. When I thought I was getting shut out this year (seriously!!!!! 7/8 rejections, all before the one, final decision which happened to be an acceptance!!) it was actually that experience that made me realize how much I actually do want this--during the whole application process and waiting period I was thinking like, wow, do I really have what it takes to go down this road?--and then when I didn't get it I realized how much I want to try. And then I did!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh this is so miraculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2018 at 5:08 PM, immanentfields said:

Actually if I remember correctly from past years, Columbia has tended to notify based on subfield, so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions here.

If it is useful for anyone, a) I heard around 4pm today (3.47pm, to be exact, EST) and b ) my subfield is 20th/21st century autobiography and autofiction!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, automatic said:

If it is useful for anyone, a) I heard around 4pm today (3.47pm, to be exact, EST) and b ) my subfield is 20th/21st century autobiography and autofiction!

In your SOP did you lean towards American or other?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also want to say it may indeed be staggered by subfield -- I just got another email from the DGS and the faculty in my field. So they might have slightly more personalized processes at work while they notify applicants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, automatic said:

I just got into Columbia!!!!! I actually did not post on the board, so that must be another. I have been rejected from all 7 of my other programs, and this was the last place I was waiting on, and I just got accepted. Oh my god. I am beyond happy, grateful, and shocked. I've been looking at options for next year assuming I'd have to apply again for another round. YOU GUYS. 

Congratulations!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2018 at 2:06 PM, OceansAreBlue said:

 

 

@Melville @evanmarie @Kilos In all likelihood, I will turn down my UConn offer in the next week or so.

Oceans could you tell me what era you listed for study at UConn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Melville said:

Oceans could you tell me what era you listed for study at UConn?

Not Oceans are blue but also in at UConn and I'm doing Medieval and will likely be turning down my offer sooner rather than later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.