2018 Acceptances

2 hours ago, WildeThing said:

The PhD program cohort has been finalized from what i understood when talking to them by phone.

I wonder then why they haven't informed us (the NYU phd applicants who are not accepted)? Its been 4 mos.

7 minutes ago, Melville said:

I wonder then why they haven't informed us (the NYU phd applicants who are not accepted)? Its been 4 mos.

If I had to guess, they're waiting for MA candidates to reject or accept, so you might be on an invisible waitlist for the MA.

4 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

If I had to guess, they're waiting for MA candidates to reject or accept, so you might be on an invisible waitlist for the MA.

Oh I see. Thanks for the positive vibes. Guess I'm just tired of waiting and would like some finality.

Accepted into Colorado State with a funded GTA position! While I'm thrilled to have such a great offer, they want a decision by March 12th?? :( why you gotta play me like this fam

3 hours ago, marisawhy said:

Accepted into Colorado State with a funded GTA position! While I'm thrilled to have such a great offer, they want a decision by March 12th?? :( why you gotta play me like this fam

Can they do that? I thought April 15 was a rule or something?

ETA Congrats!

Edited by maengret

Just got home from my first campus visit so catching up now!

On 2/26/2018 at 10:36 AM, katie64 said:

I received two lovely emails from the Louisville grad assistant and director of the graduate English program stating that they would love for me to attend (I have been waitlisted for funded so emailed back last week saying I really admire the program but can't attend without funding) and will keep me updated immediately of changes on the funding waitlist, so I feel pretty encouraged. Program director even asked if I'd like to set up a time to talk on the phone more about the program and so he can answer any questions I may have. No matter what happens, the graduate faculty at Louisville has been so extremely kind this entire process and I'm very impressed by that. 

I received an offer from them for MA GTA and am arranging a time to talk with the DGS so I can make a decision as fast as possible.

They are not doing a prospective students visit day and will not help with travel costs for a campus visit (again, MA candidate—things might be different for PhD). Employment opportunities for my spouse are quite good in Louisville, which is a very strong factor in our considerations.

10 hours ago, punctilious said:

The official acceptance in the application portal came through for the University of Delaware.

There are yellow and blue digital streamers and confetti falling down the page.

That was something new, I suppose. Lol.

How’s that crap work on screen readers for visually impaired people, I wonder...

3 hours ago, marisawhy said:

@maengret That's what I thought! I'm gonna ask for an extension but idk why they'd try it in the first place. & thank you!!

I’m sure it’s because they want to extend offers to waiting list candidates and have a full cohort. If you need more time, I think you can let them know you’re interested but need more time for XYZ reason and see what they say. 

2 hours ago, Warelin said:

Sadly, I don't think Colorado State is a part of the April 15 resolution. :(

Thanks, @Warelin. @marisawhy, did you see this?

I'm a longtime lurker but I've been getting excited/stressed about my results and wanted to join in -- I just got an (MA) acceptance from Texas A&M in the mail today, and now I'm trying to start deciding between there, Kansas, and Bowling Green, my other two acceptances :blink:  I just want to hear back on the rest of my applications ASAP so I can start stressing about choosing a program instead of about results! 

Hi all! I was accepted this morning for Florida State's PhD in Literature program. I'm actually a student here in my MFA (literally sitting in my office right now on campus). I just wanted to post this to also congratulate anyone joining me. I know we have liaisons to the program to contact, but if you have any question about the program, the department, Tallahassee, etc., feel free to contact me! See some of you soon!

4 hours ago, nooorebecca said:

I'm a longtime lurker but I've been getting excited/stressed about my results and wanted to join in -- I just got an (MA) acceptance from Texas A&M in the mail today, and now I'm trying to start deciding between there, Kansas, and Bowling Green, my other two acceptances :blink:  I just want to hear back on the rest of my applications ASAP so I can start stressing about choosing a program instead of about results! 

Congratulations!! I'm also waiting for the stragglers so I can start stressing about choices, and then start stressing about moving, etc, etc. 

3 hours ago, KMoondoggie said:

Hi all! I was accepted this morning for Florida State's PhD in Literature program. I'm actually a student here in my MFA (literally sitting in my office right now on campus). I just wanted to post this to also congratulate anyone joining me. I know we have liaisons to the program to contact, but if you have any question about the program, the department, Tallahassee, etc., feel free to contact me! See some of you soon!

Congrats! 

52 minutes ago, sarahchristine said:

Just got accepted to North Carolina State, which is exciting, but without funding, which is a bummer.

Aw, that's bittersweet, but still congrats. Maybe they'll come through with something?

4 hours ago, KMoondoggie said:

Hey hey. I got into rhet/comp not lit, but I'll definitely hit you up if we have any questions. FSU is currently looking like our top choice

2 hours ago, renea said:

Hey hey. I got into rhet/comp not lit, but I'll definitely hit you up if we have any questions. FSU is currently looking like our top choice

Oh yay! Yes, please do. I only know about the R/C program through good friends and what I see, but the program here seems to be pretty amazing and tight-knit.

On 2/26/2018 at 5:50 PM, Hermenewtics said:

Thanks for the update, @melian517. By the way, since I see you're accepted to Notre Dame's English program, I just want to include a plug for Tim Machan: I have the pleasure of knowing quite a few mediavalists/linguists, and they all rave about the guy. I don't know which school is right for you, but Machan is a pretty spectacular scholar, so definitely talk to him if you haven't already.  

He's actually one of the main reasons I applied to ND! Such a brilliant scholar. I got to meet him at the prospective student day, and he is probably one of the nicest people I've ever met!

5 minutes ago, renea said:

Just received an acceptance from Texas Christian University with a fellowship, very excited to potentially be back in my home state. 

Congratulations! Fellow Texan here to say the pull from the home state is strong. And also, howdy. :) 

On 3/1/2018 at 9:11 AM, JustPoesieAlong said:

Congratulations! Fellow Texan here to say the pull from the home state is strong. And also, howdy. :) 

Thank you...it's mostly the food :D surprisingly there is no Tex Mex in Michigan.... who would've thought