Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)

JcSLP

Members
  • Content count

    56
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About JcSLP

  • Rank
    Caffeinated

Profile Information

  • Location
    New York
  • Application Season
    2017 Fall
  • Program
    Speech-Language Pathology
  1. I plan on getting my TSSLD certification. I'm not 100% sure where I want to work/with what population, so for me I want to keep my options open. It also depends on what grad program you go to, like the poster above said. The program I'll be attending doesn't make you apply for a seperate track, however when I applied to Ithaca I had to apply to the specific "with teacher certification" program. I think as far as other requirements, I believe you have to take parts of the NYS teacher certification exams.
  2. yeah!
  3. I'll be attending Fredonia in the fall! But I haven't found a facebook group yet either
  4. I finally have accepted an offer; at the cheapest school I applied to! I think as long as the program is accredited, organized and the professors/supervisors care about their students, you're going to be learning the same basic things as someone in any other program, and get the same amount of clinical hours, because of the ASHA requirements. Placements/specialties/opportunities for research may vary, but in the end I think if you want to succeed as an SLP you're gonna do that no matter what program you go to!
  5. Just chiming in, but I didn't hear back about an assistantship- on the results page someone said they had sent out 11 offers and those people had 2 weeks to decide. When I was emailing the department, they said I was still being considered for one, but I decided I didn't want to keep waiting and holding my seat. So I declined my offer. I really love the location and I think the program is a good one, but like you I just couldn't afford it without a GA position.
  6. If I chose in-state tuition, which I most likely will unless I get a GA offer (at Ithaca, but I'm not banking on it), SUNY Fredonia is 11k (with a grant) per academic year, UB is 14k, not including summer tuition. At Fredonia you can pay anywhere from 2,000-3,100 per semester for rent. UBuffalo is a bit different since it's in a city, so I haven't found any student rentals that let you pay per semester. It looks like I'd pay anywhere from 600-900/month for a one bedroom, but it can be like 300 a month if you live in a 3-4 bdrm house with roomates.
  7. Thank you for the advice! I agree that attending a different school could broaden my connections and perspective and possibly lead to better opportunities later down the road. I'm leaning towards the new school, even though it is a little more expensive. I'm not sure if 2-3k a year makes much of a difference in the end.
  8. Does anyone have advice for someone that is choosing between two schools that are very similar in cost? My top 2 choices are only around a 2-3k difference per year... I have no idea how to decide which one to go to, and I keep going back and forth. One is my undergrad institution, so I know most of the professors and know the school like the back of my hand. The other is in a new city that's a bit closer to home which I like, and the school itself is much bigger. Any opinions/experiences going to a new university or staying where you got your undergrad degree? Thanks guys!
  9. Congrats! I was accepted to Ithaca too, although I don't think I will be accepting my offer. I haven't visited the school but from what I've seen online it looks like a good program! I attended a lecture on their program "ICreate" (for young adults with Autism) at the NYS Speech-Language Hearing Association's convention, and it was very interesting.
  10. From everything I've heard/seen so far, yes you could accept. I'm not really sure of the exact way to do this but most departments say you need to notify them as soon as possible if you do not plan to attend, so they can open the spot up to someone else. I'd say just politely and professionally email or call the department and tell them that you will no longer be attending their program, and thank them. You'll likely lose your deposit as most are non-refundable.
  11. I'm facing some similar decisions too! I think this part has made me more anxious than any other part of this whole process haha... I really like ALL the schools I applied to. @lily48slp, my initial thought would be to chose the program that's 23k cheaper, but like someone else said, It would also depend on how much undergrad debt you have if any. I would look at the location of the programs as well. If option A is in a city or an area that might have a diverse population, even if there is no specific multicultural emphasis outlined in the program, there could still be good externship and CF opportunities in that area. But, if you really love the option B school, it's in an area you love, AND has the speciality you want, it might be the perfect fit for you. I wouldn't worry about rankings at all.
  12. It is- but that academic year includes summer. So $20,500 for fall, spring and summer semester. I didn't realize this until I got a letter from a school I was accepted to regarding the fafsa!
  13. I'll PM you!
  14. Hi! Congrats on your acceptance! I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I need to go to the cheapest school. What I've done is calculated my expenses (including cost of living/rent! I forgot to do this at first, but for me at least, it's a huge factor) for each school, and determined the total cost of the program for each. I would say after doing this, just plan to go to the cheapest school if that's what you need to do. Don't include "possible" funding, because nothing is guaranteed! I don't think you can base your decision off of something that may/may not happen. If a funding offer from another school comes before your deadline, you might decide to change your choice at the last second (this is my plan! I'm probably not going to accept an offer until close to the deadline.) Regarding your FAFSA: Yes, do it today! I did mine in October, since it opened way early this year. This is how the school makes your financial aid package, and determines your eligibility for other grants/scholarships/tuition waivers/etc.
  15. I might be commuting that far as well (45mins-1hr depending on traffic.) I know a lot of people that drive an hour for school, I think you'll just have to make sure you plan ahead and stay organized.