Fall 2018 Masters of Health Informatics

hanam

13 minutes ago, JulesHir said:

I don't think they interviewed 100 people for 40 spots. Where are we getting 15 people per day from?

The 15 is based off of Zoe mentioning the number of applicants scheduled for the day when I asked. You're probably right about not interviewing *that* many people. I imagine they probably had less on some days and perhaps none on others (I can't see the interviewers being able to dedicate 2 consecutive workweeks to just interviews...). 

11 minutes ago, Cloudbank said:

The 15 is based off of Zoe mentioning the number of applicants scheduled for the day when I asked. You're probably right about not interviewing *that* many people. I imagine they probably had less on some days and perhaps none on others (I can't see the interviewers being able to dedicate 2 consecutive workweeks to just interviews...). 

Oh, makes sense! I wasn't sure if they would tell us. Thanks :)

I finished my interview this morning.

As mentioned by previous posts, the written assessment was related to a topic in health informatics. The 20 minute was enough to write 1-page.

For the interview with Julia, it was fast-paced and she asked questions to find out if you are applying with a clear goal in mind.

For the presentation, they were very lenient and asked questions to gauge your understanding of the subject matter.

I wish everyone the best of luck with the application!

1 hour ago, fleejy said:

I finished my interview this morning.

As mentioned by previous posts, the written assessment was related to a topic in health informatics. The 20 minute was enough to write 1-page.

For the interview with Julia, it was fast-paced and she asked questions to find out if you are applying with a clear goal in mind.

For the presentation, they were very lenient and asked questions to gauge your understanding of the subject matter.

I wish everyone the best of luck with the application!

I guess they had multiple interviewers?! I was interviewed by a male faculty member and presented to a male faculty member also. 

7 hours ago, ikk said:

I guess they had multiple interviewers?! I was interviewed by a male faculty member and presented to a male faculty member also. 

Yeah, I had 15 minutes with Julia and the 5 min presentation with two faculty members and approximately 15 min Q&A following the presentation.

1 hour ago, fleejy said:

Did anybody receive their letter of acceptance?

For UofT? Nothing yet o_o I was told end of April was when I should be expecting anything at all.

I did get an acceptance from Waterloo MHI, and was waitlisted by Western MPH both in mid-March.

Edited by Cloudbank

14 minutes ago, Cloudbank said:

For UofT? Nothing yet o_o I was told end of April was when I should be expecting anything at all.

I did get an acceptance from Waterloo MHI, and was waitlisted by Western MPH both in mid-March.

I haven't heard anything back either. I didn't apply to Waterloo :(

26 minutes ago, fps said:

I haven't heard anything back either. I didn't apply to Waterloo :(

Just hold tight! :) They did just finish interviews late last week, so between that and what Zoe told me about the end of the month, I don't think it's worth too much of your time to worry too much about it for at least the next week or two. Best of luck! 

So I was reading through the 2017 MHI thread and someone posted the following:

"Posted March 8, 2017

Good to hear about the interview. I was at the webinar in November for uoft and Julia said that there is like 175 applicants, they interview 75 and like 35 get in...That's why the wait makes me nervous..Hopefully everything goes well! "

I attended the webinar for this year but missed some parts. Does anyone remember if they commented on the acceptance/interview rates at all? I don't see those ^ particular numbers mentioned anywhere else so I just wanted to see if anyone could verify if that is the actual case 

31 minutes ago, NanBD said:

So I was reading through the 2017 MHI thread and someone posted the following:

"Posted March 8, 2017

Good to hear about the interview. I was at the webinar in November for uoft and Julia said that there is like 175 applicants, they interview 75 and like 35 get in...That's why the wait makes me nervous..Hopefully everything goes well! "

I attended the webinar for this year but missed some parts. Does anyone remember if they commented on the acceptance/interview rates at all? I don't see those ^ particular numbers mentioned anywhere else so I just wanted to see if anyone could verify if that is the actual case 

It appears based on a previous post (quoted below) that '35 get in' actually means that's about how many people actually accept their offers and register? At least I hope so, because that would mean they invite more people than that and I imagine many applicants are applying to multiple programs/schools.

On 3/10/2018 at 10:28 PM, symbol96 said:

I wonder if this program is really that hard to get into... For last year's intake, there were 116 domestic applicants, and 62 of them received offers of admission (and subsequently 36 of those applicants accepted the offer). So it appears more than half of applicants get in. On the other hand, it appears you shouldn't waste time and resources applying if you're an international applicant.

source: https://issuu.com/dlsph/docs/dlsph_report_2016-17_final page 8

30 minutes ago, dardalys098 said:

Is anyone in a position where they have other offers and need to hear back from U of T soon? 

Yes! I've actually accepted my offer to Waterloo already (and for a variety of reasons am currently leaning ever-so-slightly toward their all-online format... though the networking at UofT would be excellent) but I really wish I could get some closure from UofT after going through the somewhat daunting interview process. Waterloo wouldn't extend my decision deadline :\ The sooner I get more details from UofT the sooner I can sort out living/work/general life stuff that will influence my decision quite a bit. Super nervous.

Edited by Cloudbank

29 minutes ago, Cloudbank said:

Yes! I've actually accepted my offer to Waterloo already (and for a variety of reasons am currently leaning ever-so-slightly toward their all-online format... though the networking at UofT would be excellent) but I really wish I could get some closure from UofT after going through the somewhat daunting interview process. Waterloo wouldn't extend my decision deadline :\ The sooner I get more details from UofT the sooner I can sort out living/work/general life stuff that will influence my decision quite a bit. Super nervous.

I'm also in a similar position with McMaster. I need to let them know next Monday. I totally understand what you mean about living arrangements etc. I'm going to email them tomorrow I think. Can you remove your offer from loo? 

On 4/17/2018 at 9:49 PM, dardalys098 said:

I'm also in a similar position with McMaster. I need to let them know next Monday. I totally understand what you mean about living arrangements etc. I'm going to email them tomorrow I think. Can you remove your offer from loo? 

Did you end up emailing Zoe?

21 minutes ago, zeeW said:

Does anyone have any opinions on McMaster vs UofT? I'm a little torn between the two programs right now and would love to hear what you guys think about them!

did you already receive an acceptance from both?