NYC Grad Applicants Fall 2018

Hi guys now that a lot of application have been sent in, and some soon approaching,  I wanted to start a chat for fellow New Yorkers and other applicants that are applying to graduate schools in New York City and New York State to share our anxiety with! You can drop down the schools you are applying to, Any interview tips or questions, questions regarding prospective schools hopefully acceptances and just to connect and to share your nerves! 

I'm applying to the following schools: Adelphi University, St Johns University, Yeshiva University, Columbia University, LIU Post, and Hofstra University! 

Hi! I'm applying to all schools in the NYC area as well- I'm applying to Brooklyn College, Hunter College, Queens College, St. John's, Adelphi, and Touro College. I'm very nervous that my GRE quantitative score will disqualify me from the programs. I honestly didn't have the money to retake it and now I'm kind of regretting it...

I applied to Hunter, St. John's, Hofstra, and LIU Post, hoping to do a bilingual extension at St. John's or Hofstra..  So nervous to hear back 

Edited by slpgrad620

On 1/20/2018 at 5:47 PM, slpgirl898 said:

Hi guys now that a lot of application have been sent in, and some soon approaching,  I wanted to start a chat for fellow New Yorkers and other applicants that are applying to graduate schools in New York City and New York State to share our anxiety with! You can drop down the schools you are applying to, Any interview tips or questions, questions regarding prospective schools hopefully acceptances and just to connect and to share your nerves! 

I'm applying to the following schools: Adelphi University, St Johns University, Yeshiva University, Columbia University, LIU Post, and Hofstra University! 

I applied to both Hofstra and LIU Post. The LIU Post interview was very laid back.  The woman just asked me why I wanted to be an SLP, and I believe she also asked me to describe one of my shadowing experiences.  Also, if you got below a 4.0 you were asked to do a writing sample.  Good luck!! 

Hi guys! I live in the NYC area so I'm applying to many of the same schools: CUNY Queens, Brooklyn, Hunter, St. Johns, Adelphi, Hofstra, and NYU. Does anyone know when we should expect to start hearing back re: decisions or interviews? It's still so early and I'm already freaking out/so anxious, I just want to know! Also, if anyone is currently enrolled in any of the listed graduate programs/knows any additional information, would you mind sharing your experiences? Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I live in the NYC area as well. I applied (from schools in the NYC area) CUNY Queens, Lehman, Brooklyn, St. Johns, Hofstra, Teachers College (Columbia), LIU Post, Molloy, Touro, and Mercy.
Mercy has started sending out invitations for interviews.

Most schools I believe you start hearing back after mid/end February. I know Hofstra and St. Johns don't require an interview, not sure about TC.
Best of luck!

6 hours ago, roonilwazlib said:

Hi, I'm currently in Yeshiva University's SLP program. If anyone needs any info on the program, I'd be very happy to answer via PM. 

I applied to Yeshiva, and just curious about your experience there since it is a new program and how you like it so far. Also when did you hear back or to schedule and interview? Thanks! 

7 hours ago, Sga71494 said:

Hi guys! I live in the NYC area so I'm applying to many of the same schools: CUNY Queens, Brooklyn, Hunter, St. Johns, Adelphi, Hofstra, and NYU. Does anyone know when we should expect to start hearing back re: decisions or interviews? It's still so early and I'm already freaking out/so anxious, I just want to know! Also, if anyone is currently enrolled in any of the listed graduate programs/knows any additional information, would you mind sharing your experiences? Thank you!

I currently have a friend in her first year at Adelphi University, and she in the Sunday program if you have any questions regarding Adelphi, I can definitely ask her! 

On 1/23/2018 at 11:35 AM, speechie95 said:

I applied to both Hofstra and LIU Post. The LIU Post interview was very laid back.  The woman just asked me why I wanted to be an SLP, and I believe she also asked me to describe one of my shadowing experiences.  Also, if you got below a 4.0 you were asked to do a writing sample.  Good luck!! 

Thanks so much! That definitely helps! Are you currently enrolled in any of those programs and if you are how do you like it so far? 

On 1/24/2018 at 6:33 PM, slpgirl898 said:

Thanks so much! That definitely helps! Are you currently enrolled in any of those programs and if you are how do you like it so far? 

I’m currently at CUNY Queens, and am loving my experience so far. The program is small so you really get to know your classmates, and it’s a very supportive environment! 

15 hours ago, speechie95 said:

I’m currently at CUNY Queens, and am loving my experience so far. The program is small so you really get to know your classmates, and it’s a very supportive environment! 

Hi! Queens College is my top choice and I'm soooo nervous about hearing back because of how competitive the program is! Can you give some insight into your interview process? And do you mind me asking about your GRE scores :unsure: 

To any Adelphi applicants: question, has anyone received an email from a graduate enrollment counselor? I got an email from a graduate enrollment counselor regarding my academic and future goals just curious if this was a good sign or not haha. I also believe that acceptances are being sent out soon! 

1 hour ago, slpgirl898 said:

To any Adelphi applicants: question, has anyone received an email from a graduate enrollment counselor? I got an email from a graduate enrollment counselor regarding my academic and future goals just curious if this was a good sign or not haha. I also believe that acceptances are being sent out soon! 

Yes I got an email, as well! I wasn't sure if it was generic and sent to every applicant, or if it was a good sign.. but praying for the best and still anxiously waiting for a decision :unsure:

Which programs are you applying to?

CUNY Hunter, CUNY Brooklyn, Molloy College, LIU Post, Adelphi University (and three more schools not in the area)

Where are you from?

Long Island

Stats:

GRE: 151 Quant. 152 Verbal. 4.5 AW

Cumulative GPA: 3.97, Major GPA: 3.97

4 strong LOR

Extracurriculars: NCAA student-athlete and e-board member of NSSLHA chapter

What are your biggest concerns about applications

My average GRE scores and the fact that I have no clinical or research experience. I have done extensive work with the special needs population so Im hoping this will make up for it. So far I have an interview at Emerson but I'm not sure what I should expect to hear from the other schools. Will the schools look at my application since I broke a 300 on the GRE or does it not matter? Does anyone have similar stats and applied to the same schools? Has anyone heard anything from these schools yet? What is my shot at getting into the CUNY's?