NYC Grad Applicants Fall 2018

1 hour ago, slpgirl898 said:

I have a friend that graduated from there if you need any information! I can try and answers as best as I can with the advice and info she gave me about their program. 

Thank you! I was just wondering about the pros/cons of their program, how prepared the students felt after graduating and if they were happy with their decision to go there, the populations they treat in-house, and the organization of the program.....

Anything you know about the program would be helpful and much appreciated!

Thanks again

On 3/6/2018 at 6:12 PM, slpgrad620 said:

For the people who got acceptances so far, what school are you guys aiming to commit to as of now? Just curious (and anxious cause I still haven’t heard back from anywhere yet ..) 

My first choice is Hofstra, but I haven't heard anything from them yet... I heard they start sending out acceptances/rejections around 3/15. Then after that I am pretty conflicted between LIU Post, St. John's, and Molloy. What schools have you applied to and what are your top schools?!

1 hour ago, AMI0209 said:

My first choice is Hofstra, but I haven't heard anything from them yet... I heard they start sending out acceptances/rejections around 3/15. Then after that I am pretty conflicted between LIU Post, St. John's, and Molloy. What schools have you applied to and what are your top schools?!

I didn’t apply to many programs but my first choice is also Hofstra or St John’s because I wanted to go for a bilingual extension. Guess I just have to anxiously wait on Hofstra’s decision :( 

On 3/5/2018 at 11:30 PM, xstephh said:

Does anyone have any info on comparing/or just general program info on Adelphi and Teacher's College?

I went to both programs' open houses. TC only gives first year students one client, while Adelphi gives upwards of 8 clients within the first year. Adelphi is about 12k more than TC. Adelphi has no study abroad opportunities and TC has gone to Bolivia the past few years. They both have bilingual extension programs. I am not sure where you are from, but the price of housing for TC is ridiculously expensive. I got a very good vibe from Adelphi, but it is a shame it is so expensive. I feel that TC is much more researched based as well. I hope this helps in some way!

Hello everyone! I am from the NYC area and I actually applied to 11 schools! I took a gap year so I wanted to make sure I got accepted somewhere. It’s very nerve wrecking watching all your fellow classmates from undergrad her denied from all the two or three schools they applied to. My one advice would be to apply to as many as you can! Although it is very stressful and expensive, I believe it was definitely worth it  

I applied to:

Mercy, New York Medical college, Adelphi, Hofstra, NYU online , LIU Brooklyn, Queens college, St. John’s university, Brooklyn college, touro and Yeshiva 

I applied to start for Fall 2018, and all my applications were submitted by either 1/15/18 or 02/01/18. 

I have since been denied from Mercy and accepted into NYU and I still have 9 schools to hear back from. I have accepted NYU and paid their $500 deposit just because it is a very good school and I had a deadline to accept their school. I am glad with my choice and I would only lose my deposit and attend a different school IF I get accepted into Queens or Brooklyn college because they are CUNYs and the tuition is remarkably less expensive (80k+ vs 30k+)

I hope all this information helps someone.

On 3/5/2018 at 12:04 PM, sabrono said:

My interview for Brooklyn is tomorrow! I'll let you guys know how it went. It's my first interview and I'm genuinely terrified. 

Hey, would you mind sharing how your interview went/questions they asked?

On 3/7/2018 at 7:02 PM, AMI0209 said:

Thank you! I was just wondering about the pros/cons of their program, how prepared the students felt after graduating and if they were happy with their decision to go there, the populations they treat in-house, and the organization of the program.....

Anything you know about the program would be helpful and much appreciated!

Thanks again

Pros: She said the program was tight nit, and she felt that she was close to her cohort, St Johns has less credits compared to other schools which made tuition cheaper, although they did add credits for this fall 2018 semester starting cohort to 54 credits so that might be different now. She felt prepared for her CFY year and clinics, and Praxis, also St Johns has study abroad opportunities. Classes are at night so you could work in the day at least for your first year second year you have externships during the day. I think St Johns also is one of the only schools that has their clinic open on Saturdays. 

Cons: The Clinic is not on campus but near by which she said she had to drive to, she said the clinical coordinator was bad/disorganized but wasn't sure if they were going to change her for this year. Only real negative she had to say was that if you were placed at a bad externship or finding an externship on your own but she had great externships which made her feel really prepared. 

I think thats all she really gave me information on, you can send me more specific questions if you have any and I will ask her! 

3 hours ago, xstephh said:

Hi! I had my interview today-it was a group interview with 4-5 other candidates. They only really asked to tell them about yourself. We then had to solve a puzzle together and find a solution to a conflict. I think this was to determine how you work in a group setting. The last part was a writing sample describing yourself. Hope this helps and good luck!

18 hours ago, xstephh said:

Sorry I’m super late but @Sga71494 summed up the interview perfectly! It felt almost informal, and I wonder how much they actually got out of it. You also got a short tour of the clinical space and student work rooms, which were honestly underwhelming. Was anyone else a little disappointed in brooklyn’s facilities? I know it’s a CUNY and obviously won’t have sparkling new technology, but everything felt cramped and severely outdated. 

6 hours ago, sabrono said:

Sorry I’m super late but @Sga71494 summed up the interview perfectly! It felt almost informal, and I wonder how much they actually got out of it. You also got a short tour of the clinical space and student work rooms, which were honestly underwhelming. Was anyone else a little disappointed in brooklyn’s facilities? I know it’s a CUNY and obviously won’t have sparkling new technology, but everything felt cramped and severely outdated. 

I completely agree. I loved the faculty and grad students I met though but I also didn’t feel like I got a chance to show them who I really was because they hardly asked any questions, which I was kind of disapppointed/surprised at. Anyway, still nervous to hear back, but hope we do soon! I’m also waiting on queens college after interviewing there so fingers crossed, as this would be my top choice. Good luck to all!!!

On 3/8/2018 at 10:27 PM, Sga71494 said:

Hi! I had my interview today-it was a group interview with 4-5 other candidates. They only really asked to tell them about yourself. We then had to solve a puzzle together and find a solution to a conflict. I think this was to determine how you work in a group setting. The last part was a writing sample describing yourself. Hope this helps and good luck!

Hi did you interview at brooklyn last thursday at 2pm?? I was in that group!

On 3/8/2018 at 10:23 PM, slpgirl898 said:

Pros: She said the program was tight nit, and she felt that she was close to her cohort, St Johns has less credits compared to other schools which made tuition cheaper, although they did add credits for this fall 2018 semester starting cohort to 54 credits so that might be different now. She felt prepared for her CFY year and clinics, and Praxis, also St Johns has study abroad opportunities. Classes are at night so you could work in the day at least for your first year second year you have externships during the day. I think St Johns also is one of the only schools that has their clinic open on Saturdays. 

Cons: The Clinic is not on campus but near by which she said she had to drive to, she said the clinical coordinator was bad/disorganized but wasn't sure if they were going to change her for this year. Only real negative she had to say was that if you were placed at a bad externship or finding an externship on your own but she had great externships which made her feel really prepared. 

I think thats all she really gave me information on, you can send me more specific questions if you have any and I will ask her! 

Thank you sooo much!! This is very helpful! :)

On 3/2/2018 at 12:57 PM, Heyone said:

Hi everyone! Does anyone have personal experience with NYU, or highly considering going there?

Hi! I am also considering going there! Until I hear back from Columbia, it is my top choice! Maybe we will be classmates! Have you put down a deposit? I know some schools are first come, first serve (like NY Medical) but I didn't get that impression from NYU so I personally did not deposit yet and figured I'd save the money but if anyone has an insider scoop I'd appreciate it!

On 3/13/2018 at 6:46 PM, Speechgirl25 said:

Hi! I am also considering going there! Until I hear back from Columbia, it is my top choice! Maybe we will be classmates! Have you put down a deposit? I know some schools are first come, first serve (like NY Medical) but I didn't get that impression from NYU so I personally did not deposit yet and figured I'd save the money but if anyone has an insider scoop I'd appreciate it!

I did not put down a deposit either. I am also waiting on Columbia, hoping to hear back from there soon.

4 hours ago, helenaaa said:

@Hannah7 Hi, I have an interview at LIU Post next week and I am super nervous/ don't know how I could prepare for it. Do you mind sharing some of the questions that they've asked during the interview and how long did the interview take? Thanks

The entire interview was around 15 minutes long, but if you had below a 4.0 (I think?) on the GRE then you had to do a writing sample. The questions were mostly personal, "tell me about yourself." It was a blind interview so she knew nothing about me aside from my name, college, and home state. The rest of the questions she asked seemed to be based off my answers to the initial questions.There was no tour, but she did give a brief overview of the program. She also asked for GRE scores and GPA. Good luck with your interview!

Edited by Hannah7

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from St John’s and Hofstra? 

I also interview at Post in Feb. and still haven’t heard back so I’m guessing it’s bad news... Do you think I should email them? 

58 minutes ago, slpgrad620 said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from St John’s and Hofstra? 

I also interview at Post in Feb. and still haven’t heard back so I’m guessing it’s bad news... Do you think I should email them? 

Hi! I am still waiting to hear back from St. Johns and Hofstra. I interviewed for Post and got accepted a couple hours later. I think it's okay to email or call and ask if a decision has been made.

5 hours ago, helenaaa said:

@AMI0209 Hi I also have an interview with LIU Post coming up. Do you mind sharing what the interview process was like? How long after the interview did you hear back about your decision? 

Hi! So there are two woman who do the interviews.. I had Mrs. Newman. She was very laid back and easy to talk to. She told me right from the beginning that it was a blind interview and she knew nothing about me. She asked me to tell her about myself- try to mention everything you can think of... All of your experience, observations, work, clubs, ....any experiences you have within the field that makes you stand out! Then she based her questions off of my experiences and asked me about clients and work. (again this was not intimidating at all and was very much like a conversation). Towards the end she asked me to pick out a client I had observed and recall the goals the SLP worked on, how the client reacted, and what games/materials were used during the session. Also if you scored under a 4 on the analytical writing section on the GRE or have a lower GPA you are required to complete a writing sample. I heard from my friends that the other lady conducting the interviews (Mrs. Rubenstein I think) is a little more straightforward.

I interviewed with her on a Thursday and received my acceptance on the Tuesday after!

Oh! also try to write down some questions you have about the program beforehand or commit them to memory!

Good Luck :lol:

Edited by AMI0209