Fall 2018 Waitlist Thread

clinpsydreams2018

Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered/is in the wrong thread.  For those of you who have been waitlisted, how long after your interview (or how long after the final interview date in case you went earlier) did it take for you to hear back?  
I know this varies from program to program, but I'm hoping to get a feel for the variability in how much longer I may need to wait!

@kitcassidanceFor the program that I interviewed with and was waitlisted, they mentioned that the following week (after the interviews) was when they would be making admission decisions.  The director of the program also said that they would not send out notifications to alternates and encouraged us to contact if we were interested.

I waited about a week and then once I saw other people post acceptances, I contacted the head of the department and asked about my status.   

Edited by clinpsydreams2018

1 hour ago, kitcassidance said:

Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered/is in the wrong thread.  For those of you who have been waitlisted, how long after your interview (or how long after the final interview date in case you went earlier) did it take for you to hear back?  
I know this varies from program to program, but I'm hoping to get a feel for the variability in how much longer I may need to wait!

I heard the same day the people got acceptances.

1 hour ago, clinpsydreams2018 said:

Does anyone know how waitlists typically work?  Are you on a waitlist for your specific POI or the program as a whole?  Is it a wait for one person to turn down a spot or anyone from the cohort?

Depends on the program. The most direct way to get in is if the person who got accepted with your POI declines, but you can also get in if someone else rejects. Some of the other faculty might have decided not to waitlist anyone, so it's possible that that funding could go to another faculty's waitlist. Also depends on how many new students your POI is willing to take on. Obviously, if they accepted two students, they probably wouldn't take someone off of their waitlist until one of the original two rejects. If your POI is starting a huge project, their waitlist might be bumped up above other faculty's waitlists because they'll potentially need more help from new students. All in all, there are a lot of variables.

How are waitlist usually informed? ask POI? the Dept.? or just get automatic notifications from the program? i am on one waitlist right now, because I asked POI, and still waiting to hear from 7 other programs.

Edited by georginazhou

17 hours ago, CounselingPsychApp2018 said:

Middle alternate for counseling psych at Northern Colorado.

Is it appropriate to ask about position, and if people have been accepted off the wait list in previous years?

On the APA website, they have instructional videos for certain things you can do when you fall into different positions - alternate list, multiple acceptances, rejections, etc.  You can find those videos here:  http://www.apa.org/education/grad/application-video-series.aspx 

Within these, it said that all programs have agreed to answer the question, "In typical years, what percentage of students with this position on the alternate list receive an admission offer?"

And then it also stated that if this program is your top program, you can do 3 things when contacting them each time:

1. Mention you are keenly interested in attending this program.

2. You remain available.

3. You have not and will not accept any other offer until you hear from them first.

"This frequently moves you up on the alternate list as someone who will say 'yes.'"

On 2/14/2018 at 10:38 AM, clinpsydreams2018 said:

On the APA website, they have instructional videos for certain things you can do when you fall into different positions - alternate list, multiple acceptances, rejections, etc.  You can find those videos here:  http://www.apa.org/education/grad/application-video-series.aspx 

Within these, it said that all programs have agreed to answer the question, "In typical years, what percentage of students with this position on the alternate list receive an admission offer?"

And then it also stated that if this program is your top program, you can do 3 things when contacting them each time:

1. Mention you are keenly interested in attending this program.

2. You remain available.

3. You have not and will not accept any other offer until you hear from them first.

"This frequently moves you up on the alternate list as someone who will say 'yes.'"

Thank you very much!

My first post! Going through my first (and hopefully only admissions cycle). I only applied to four PhD programs in social-personality areas. I think I have an interesting background but not necessarily training in the areas I'm now proposing to get into. Interviewed at my personal top choice (UC Irvine) and was waitlisted. Based on correspondence, I do think my POI is very excited about me and did recommend me to the adcom committee, but I have a feeling that my research profile is lacking and preventing me from being an outright "yes." Grad director says I've "very high" on the list, so I hope this translates into a spot opening up for me!

Trying to keep the faith, as I really do not want to wait for another cycle. Currently in a lifeless job and not in psych research - spending my days wistfully thinking of all the studying and intrinsically motivating work I could do if not in my present soulless position! Good luck to us all <3 

So, as an old soul who went through this process many years ago, here's my take...

I got offers from multiple PhD programs the week of or after interviews (in my case, some time in February).  I waited on my 1st choice up until April 15th (for which I was told I was an "alternate")  That day (4/15), I still hadn't heard from my program of choice.  I called them repeatedly throughout the day and wasn't told until 4:45pm that they were giving the spot to someone else.  I had to hustle to get my letter of acceptance into my next favorite program - which, coincidentally, had been contacting me regularly since my interview, asking about my intentions.  All this to say, when a program REALLY wants you, you know it (and they make it very clear.)  When they are waiting on someone else to accept or reject their offer, it often takes until the last minute.  It doesn't mean they don't want you, but it does mean they want someone else more.  As a result, you should be ready with an acceptance to your 2nd choice school, or else they might give away the spot...

32 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

I wonder how long we have to wait to hear back. Hope we hear in March - or is it more likely to hear back in April when responses are due? Any thoughts/indications?

No telling really.  Just a waiting game at this point.  I just plan on continuing to express my interest in the program and hoping for the best.

I've been on the waitlist since early Feb to my top program. Waiting gets a bit easier but the uncertainty is definitely worrying. I'm almost certain the program has sent out their initial offers, though, no one has posted acceptances on the results page at all. Wishing you all luck and that we find out soon!

On 2/26/2018 at 2:25 PM, MindOverMatter said:

I wonder how long we have to wait to hear back. Hope we hear in March - or is it more likely to hear back in April when responses are due? Any thoughts/indications?

I heard back insanely soon like right away soon. But my poi at first told me the process could take a few weeks to a month.