Canada Graduate Scholarship (SSHRC) MA 2018-19

Xenia2191

7 hours ago, bonnszai said:

Welp, I'm listed as an alternate for the university I'll be attending (McGill). The waiting game grinds to an unbearable extension. 

Is there any way to see one's relative position on the waiting list or score, or is that for CGS-D only?

Saaame here (Western). I feel like my life is a waiting lobby hahaha. 

I don't imagine they will tell us the ranking for the alternative list. But I might contact my graduate secretary and see.

3 hours ago, summerlee said:

I was accepted at Concordia, my first and only choice :) I am shocked and so happy! Last year I received alternate status

Congrats!!! :) That's so exciting! I'm in the same position you were last year (I was reading through the 2017-2018 thread): incoming MA student at Concordia and listed as an alternate. I don't think I want to know what I was ranked but I do hope there will be some movement.

Edited by inthewake

12 minutes ago, Seaz said:

I don't imagine they will tell us the ranking for the alternative list. But I might contact my graduate secretary and see.

Yeah, I contacted the grad admin and will see how they respond. I think that if they do provide rankings, it would be relative standing rather than the specific rank. I just want to know if I should get the disappointment out of the way now or wait a few weeks lol

2 hours ago, summerlee said:

I was accepted at Concordia, my first and only choice :) I am shocked and so happy! Last year I received alternate status

I totally understand the feeling, I was so surprised I got funded last year!  It's a good thing to apply even when one's unsure of their chances. 

51 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

How do you know your ranking? Last year, when I got the offer, I never got to see my ranking. 

I think they mean their ranking on the waitlist, not overall ranking. To my knowledge, schools don’t release the ranking of award winners (my supervisor told me where I ranked in the department, but even she doesn’t know how well I did overall). 

Congrats to everyone on their good news!! :) 

Alternate at Western and MAC, rejected U of T (which I knew). Sigh. Western is my first choice...I've been debating on asking about my rank but I think at this point, i'd just rather wait it out.

How many people are on the alternate list? Does anyone know? Can it theoretically go on to list hundreds of students per school? 

Alternate for SSHRC at the University I'm at. Fingers crossed I can move up! I feel like I had a much MUCH better application this year (ended up stuck on the alternate list last year too)

4 hours ago, healthpsych said:

I think they mean their ranking on the waitlist, not overall ranking. To my knowledge, schools don’t release the ranking of award winners (my supervisor told me where I ranked in the department, but even she doesn’t know how well I did overall). 

Correct! Also would help to know what constitutes an 'alternate' or waitlisted applicant. Is it only X % or is it anyone who can receive the award?

6 hours ago, inthewake said:

Congrats!!! :) That's so exciting! I'm in the same position you were last year (I was reading through the 2017-2018 thread): incoming MA student at Concordia and listed as an alternate. I don't think I want to know what I was ranked but I do hope there will be some movement.

That's great, good luck!!

8 hours ago, Seaz said:

I was offered at Western and Calgary and have declined both, so good luck to you on moving upwards! Still on a waiting list for Guelph, where I have accepted...please let me know (anyone) if you decline your grant at Guelph! :) 

11 hours ago, summerlee said:

nice! which program?

On 4/1/2018 at 4:28 PM, ioapplicant said:

I was offered at Western and Calgary and have declined both, so good luck to you on moving upwards! Still on a waiting list for Guelph, where I have accepted...please let me know (anyone) if you decline your grant at Guelph! :) 

I'm going to be denying my grant at Guelph! Had to pick 2 weeks ago and chose UBC, where I was made an alternate. It was so close between there and Guelph too...*sigh*

Best of luck!!!

4 hours ago, venuswithabook said:

OFFERED AND ACCEPTED AT WESTERN! THANK YOU TO WHOEVER DECLINED THEIR OFFER!!!! POTENTIALLY @ioapplicant

Woohoo! So glad to hear. This gives hope to all my fellow alternates! I loved it here at Western for undergrad - hope you have a wonderful time here as well!

10 hours ago, LindsaysFriend said:

I'm going to be denying my grant at Guelph! Had to pick 2 weeks ago and chose UBC, where I was made an alternate. It was so close between there and Guelph too...*sigh*

Best of luck!!!

I know the feeling well...but hey, UBC I think has the most SSHRC grants to give out in Canada I think, so hopefully you get moved up! Thanks for letting me know you're declining that one. My fingers are crossed that I'm not terribly far down the waitlist!

I confirmed with McGill that they don't provide relative rankings to the applicants (I suppose the policy varies for each school). Oh well, I guess I'll find out by the end of the month if the research gods smiled upon me. 

Edited by bonnszai

1 hour ago, bonnszai said:

I confirmed with McGill that they don't provide relative rankings to the applicants (I suppose the policy varies for each school). Oh well, I guess I'll find out by the end of the month if the research gods smiled upon me. 

I am at McGill, got the award last year, but do not know what was my ranking. I was just told by a prof that was on the comittee that my ranking was very high. 

Hi all! Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here's my situation:

I am waitlisted in the MSc program that I applied for, but I got offered SSHRC funding through CGS-M this year. What are the chances do you think that they would reject me even though I have the funding? 

I know that my acceptance of the funding offer could make a difference, but I mean what are the odds, right!?

13 hours ago, psycoleinguist said:

Hi all! Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here's my situation:

I am waitlisted in the MSc program that I applied for, but I got offered SSHRC funding through CGS-M this year. What are the chances do you think that they would reject me even though I have the funding? 

I know that my acceptance of the funding offer could make a difference, but I mean what are the odds, right!?

I’ve actually heard a of quite a few people getting awards at schools that rejected them, unfortunately.

its definitely worth contacting the program to let them know about your funding! 

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎04 at 7:22 AM, healthpsych said:

I’ve actually heard a of quite a few people getting awards at schools that rejected them, unfortunately.

its definitely worth contacting the program to let them know about your funding! 

I might have read some instances like that too in other threads in the forum. I did update them about it, and one of the admin people was not sure with what the next step is as well. We shall see.