SLP Application Depression

This is my second time applying and I am mentally drained. Last year, I was placed on waitlists for every school, but did not get accepted. This year, I'm in the same boat, but with only 2 waitlist. I applied for audiology last year and it seems like I was a stronger applicant for audiology than speech. I just don't know what to do with my life. I can't get a job that pays more than $18 an hour with my undergrad degree and being from NY, that is not enough. I am drowning in student loans and will prob never be able to pay them off now. This even affects my love life/personal life as well. Does anyone who did not get accepted have any solid career plans besides trying again? I don't think my LOR will write me a third letter. Just wanted to rant and to see if anyone else who is in a similar situation has any advice on what to do.

I'm not sure what SLPA licensure is like in NY, but maybe look into if it. I know many of the grad students at my current undergrad institution mentioned that having that experience really helped them get into grad school, especially since the director of their work places were able to also write them LOR about their abilities as a clinician during therapy. I'm really sorry about the rejections/waitlists, I really hope that you get in!

16 minutes ago, snoves said:

I'm not sure what SLPA licensure is like in NY, but maybe look into if it. I know many of the grad students at my current undergrad institution mentioned that having that experience really helped them get into grad school, especially since the director of their work places were able to also write them LOR about their abilities as a clinician during therapy. I'm really sorry about the rejections/waitlists, I really hope that you get in!

Thanks! I'll look into being an SLPA

I am and audiology applicant have been rejected from five programs and waitlisted for two and applied to two more programs for some hope.  I have heard some speech pathology students have become a ABA therapist but you have to have a masters degree for that!! Best of luck to you!!

You could actually look for ABA jobs that don’t require Masters Degree (some you just need a BA) and pay I believe starts at 25/hour. Check at indeed.com :)

1 hour ago, Stephanie022594 said:

This is my second time applying and I am mentally drained. Last year, I was placed on waitlists for every school, but did not get accepted. This year, I'm in the same boat, but with only 2 waitlist. I applied for audiology last year and it seems like I was a stronger applicant for audiology than speech. I just don't know what to do with my life. I can't get a job that pays more than $18 an hour with my undergrad degree and being from NY, that is not enough. I am drowning in student loans and will prob never be able to pay them off now. This even affects my love life/personal life as well. Does anyone who did not get accepted have any solid career plans besides trying again? I don't think my LOR will write me a third letter. Just wanted to rant and to see if anyone else who is in a similar situation has any advice on what to do.

I am basically in the same boat!

1 hour ago, Stephanie022594 said:

Do you mind stating where you are waitlisted?

4 hours ago, snoves said:

Unfortunately, New York does not hire SLPAs :(

4 hours ago, Stephanie022594 said:

Have you tried applying to other schools like CSUN online? They are currently taking applications for Spring 2019. I feel like NY schools are super competitive. An online program might give you a better chance 

You can look into being a hearing aid dispenser or aba therapist. I don't know how you feel about physical or occupational therapy, but in Jersey PTA and OTA get paid pretty decently. I've seen jobs for verities PTAs starting around $25. 

Same boat ...2nd year rejected or waitlisted ?I’m looking into ABA and SpEd programs. In Georgia they hire SLPAs but you have to already have your license or know someone who is willing to supervise you :/  Good Luck! 

Im in the same boat with you, I am a second year applicant and waitlisted to some schools and waiting to hear back from 3 other schools and hoping for some good news soon! A waitlist isn't an end all so don't think of it like that! Its a very competitive field ESPECIALLY in NY, so don't give up hope if this is what you want to do! If you don't get accepted don't feel bad about yourself because their are many people in the same boat as you especially now as Speech Pathology is becoming a very popular field. There are definitely a lot of options in NY, you can try working in a hospital, Special Education, ABA therapist etc Teacher Assistants etc. Don't give up hope, I hope you get some goo news soon good luck! 

26 minutes ago, slpgirl898 said:

Im in the same boat with you, I am a second year applicant and waitlisted to some schools and waiting to hear back from 3 other schools and hoping for some good news soon! A waitlist isn't an end all so don't think of it like that! Its a very competitive field ESPECIALLY in NY, so don't give up hope if this is what you want to do! If you don't get accepted don't feel bad about yourself because their are many people in the same boat as you especially now as Speech Pathology is becoming a very popular field. There are definitely a lot of options in NY, you can try working in a hospital, Special Education, ABA therapist etc Teacher Assistants etc. Don't give up hope, I hope you get some goo news soon good luck! 

Thank you. You too!

1 hour ago, SpeechJC said:

Same boat ...2nd year rejected or waitlisted ?I’m looking into ABA and SpEd programs. In Georgia they hire SLPAs but you have to already have your license or know someone who is willing to supervise you :/  Good Luck! 

I did ABA and it wasn't my cup of tea. Mostly bc I didn't like the company I worked for. I am also thinking of SpEd. I work for a school and they offer tuition assistance! But rn, I'm leaning towards OTA. Good Luck to you!

5 hours ago, Thetis94 said:

You can look into being a hearing aid dispenser or aba therapist. I don't know how you feel about physical or occupational therapy, but in Jersey PTA and OTA get paid pretty decently. I've seen jobs for verities PTAs starting around $25. 

I am actually thinking of OTA.

10 hours ago, BeachySpeechy said:

Have you tried applying to other schools like CSUN online? They are currently taking applications for Spring 2019. I feel like NY schools are super competitive. An online program might give you a better chance 

No, I was only allowed to apply to schools on CSDCAS. Not sure if that school was on it. I was kinda limited bc my LORs don't write letters for more than 5 schools.

21 hours ago, Stephanie022594 said:

My friend and I are in the same boat. I currently work in TX as an SLP assistant in a school district but my friend couldn't get hired. She started working for ECI (Early childhood intervention) I'm not sure if they have this in NY but her pre reqs helped her get a good paying job as a Specialized Skills Trainer(SST). She works with kids under the age of 3 and their families. She is still trying to get into graduate school but she has also been able to support her family and still work with kids. 

14 hours ago, Stephanie022594 said:

No, I was only allowed to apply to schools on CSDCAS. Not sure if that school was on it. I was kinda limited bc my LORs don't write letters for more than 5 schools.

Look up CSUN online (Tseng College). They start up in the spring semester so they just opened up there application window. I believe they use their own application system.

I live in PA so I'm not sure what it is like for you, but my backup plan if not SLP grad school was Therapeutic Support Staff (TSS) or look into Behavior Therapist programs at different graduate schools. The company close to me offers to pay for TSS to get masters in Behavior Therapy if you sign contracts with them sometimes. Maybe you could search around for something similar? 

Best of luck! I hope it all works out for you soon!