Grad. School Supplies?

SNPCracklePop

On 4/5/2016 at 9:56 AM, Neist said:

Speaking of reading at desks, I highly recommend that people consider acquiring book stands.

I got one a few years ago, and it changed my life (at least academically). There are physical limits to how much a person can read in a sitting, and a book stand allowed me to easily surpass those limits. Before, 5-6 hours straight would have been trying, but I could easily push through 10 now, if the necessity called for it.

Anyone have a dream chair they'd love to own? I'd personally love a Swopper, but they are crazy expensive.

I'm trying to migrate to a standing desk, but I am also a lazy SOB, and I like working sprawled 90 degrees off axis in a big armchair.

If you use a standard desk, one good thing to look for is a practice chair.  Steinway used to sell them, and here is one of that deslgn:http://www.cpsimports.com/jansen-practice-piano-chair.html.  You can get cheaper ones with metal adjustable legs: https://www.johnsonstring.com/cgi-bin/music/scripts/violin-viola-cello-music.cgi?itemno=ACCECHA01.  The thing is to have it tip forward just a bit, so your back stays straight and your stomach relatively taut while you sit.  Pianists use them, and other musicians find them good at preventing problems while doing unnatural things with the rest of their bodies.  Gets rid of tension remarkably well.

1 hour ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

I know a few pages back there was some discussion about a LiveScribe pen to take/digitize notes and record lectures. I just saw that Moleskine came out with their Smart Writing Set that transfers your hand written notes to their app, and from there you can automatically transcribe them to type and download them as a PDF. You can also record lectures with the app as well. It also uploads to Google Docs and syncs with Evernote, if you happen to use that :) I'm seriously considering this! I like to handwrite my notes, and but I'd like to be able to convert it all to text and easily search through my notes later!

This looks pretty cool and is affordable.  I too prefer to handwrite my notes, but then its a pain to try to review them and I don't have time to type them all up.

I have a  monsterously big (17" screen) HP laptop.  it's in great working order and I love it but it's literally too big to fit in the laptop section of my bag.  

I'll be starting a phd program this fall and will be commuting by bus, and be up and down stairs quite a lot.  While I'm physically very capable of carrying a heavy laptop it just seems silly to be so impractical.  I am contemplating getting a surface pro 3 or 4 for the functionality and mobility.  I would get the keyboard/cover and stylus to go with it.  

Anyone have any advice?

On 4/7/2016 at 11:16 PM, Concordia said:

I'm trying to migrate to a standing desk, but I am also a lazy SOB, and I like working sprawled 90 degrees off axis in a big armchair.

If you use a standard desk, one good thing to look for is a practice chair.  Steinway used to sell them, and here is one of that deslgn:http://www.cpsimports.com/jansen-practice-piano-chair.html.  You can get cheaper ones with metal adjustable legs: https://www.johnsonstring.com/cgi-bin/music/scripts/violin-viola-cello-music.cgi?itemno=ACCECHA01.  The thing is to have it tip forward just a bit, so your back stays straight and your stomach relatively taut while you sit.  Pianists use them, and other musicians find them good at preventing problems while doing unnatural things with the rest of their bodies.  Gets rid of tension remarkably well.

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into them. :) 

7 hours ago, Denominator said:

I have a  monsterously big (17" screen) HP laptop.  it's in great working order and I love it but it's literally too big to fit in the laptop section of my bag.  

I'll be starting a phd program this fall and will be commuting by bus, and be up and down stairs quite a lot.  While I'm physically very capable of carrying a heavy laptop it just seems silly to be so impractical.  I am contemplating getting a surface pro 3 or 4 for the functionality and mobility.  I would get the keyboard/cover and stylus to go with it.  

Anyone have any advice?

I cannot speak personally, but I know a lot of people who have used Surface Pros in grad school and loved them. They seemed to be the ideal combination of tablet and pc. That being said, I'll probably get a Pixel C. I'm a Google fanboy. :D 

My current laptop (Lenovo x1 Carbon) is having a few hardware problems due to old age.  Being unimaginative, I am replacing it with an X260.  I still have trouble figuring out why I'd need to touch the screen for anything I do.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:53 PM, Concordia said:

My current laptop (Lenovo x1 Carbon) is having a few hardware problems due to old age.  Being unimaginative, I am replacing it with an X260.  I still have trouble figuring out why I'd need to touch the screen for anything I do.

I hate having the touch screen... Really. Its a laptop, not a tablet.

5 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

I hate having the touch screen... Really. Its a laptop, not a tablet.

I hate the touch screen feature as well and never use it. My poor boyfriend has accidentally touched the screen and didn't know where he ended up. This happens everytime he uses my laptop and he wants to throw it off our deck lol.

18 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I hate the touch screen feature as well and never use it. My poor boyfriend has accidentally touched the screen and didn't know where he ended up. This happens everytime he uses my laptop and he wants to throw it off our deck lol.

I remember having a massive celled sheet up and I was reviewing it with someone and they went to point... And I was like "Don't touch it!"

And by their reaction I could tell that I sounded like a total snooty b*tch when I said it and then had to explain that it was touch screen and he would have moved everything... And I didn't think his hands were dirty lol.

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

I remember having a massive celled sheet up and I was reviewing it with someone and they went to point... And I was like "Don't touch it!"

And by their reaction I could tell that I sounded like a total snooty b*tch when I said it and then had to explain that it was touch screen and he would have moved everything... And I didn't think his hands were dirty lol.

I would have done the same thing! Then again I already have a reputation as being snobby because wait for it.....I wear jeans and sweaters! Because somehow clothing that was originally worn by farmers screams elitism. :-P Plus you never know, his hands could have had graphite all over them.

On 4/8/2016 at 10:52 AM, Denominator said:

I am contemplating getting a surface pro 3 or 4 for the functionality and mobility.  I would get the keyboard/cover and stylus to go with it.  

Anyone have any advice?

I very strongly recommend not getting a Surface Pro 4. The IT group has rolled them out at my job and those of us who have them are experiencing a wide range of issues. The one I'm using was recently re-imaged and is now having a new set of issues with Microsoft Office 2013. (Two existing issues--connectivity to external monitors and the fan working overtime--persist.)

Apparently, I'm the only person in this thread who thinks a touch screen laptop would be awesome. :D However, I never, ever normally touch the screen. Finger prints bother me immensely, and I think I'd have more of an issue with finger prints on a touch screen laptop, not the touch screen itself.

That being said, I think I'm going to invest in a Google Pixel. I need something better than my cheapo $200 laptop.

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Apparently, I'm the only person in this thread who thinks a touch screen laptop would be awesome. :D However, I never, ever normally touch the screen. Finger prints bother me immensely, and I think I'd have more of an issue with finger prints on a touch screen laptop, not the touch screen itself.

That being said, I think I'm going to invest in a Google Pixel. I need something better than my cheapo $200 laptop.

It seems cool until you continuously have people touch the screen on accident and move everything you're doing lol. Maybe as they become more prevalent.. less people will touch. 

Also.. It would be cool if it was one of those convertible computers, but it's awkward to touch "upright" rather than touching "down" at a tablet or phone. Maybe I'll get a convertible for my next computer. That will be a while though (knock on wood).

6 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

It seems cool until you continuously have people touch the screen on accident and move everything you're doing lol. Maybe as they become more prevalent.. less people will touch. 

Also.. It would be cool if it was one of those convertible computers, but it's awkward to touch "upright" rather than touching "down" at a tablet or phone. Maybe I'll get a convertible for my next computer. That will be a while though (knock on wood).

I have a swivel screen tablet at my current job.  I have it set to only let the stylus "touch" the screen.  I LOVE this mode.  no accidents, but still the functionality of a "touch" screen.  My desire for my next laptop is to be able to create videos of myself talking and writing as a curriculum supplement,  as well as to tutor remotely.  I'm hoping to supplement my income with the tutoring.  

anyone have any suggestions as to a device that could do those things?

I have a surface pro 4 for a couple of weeks now and the only issue i've had is sometimes it takes a LONG time to wake up. The touchscreen is pretty cool, but I only use it with the drawboard pdf app for writing notes on papers. That has to be my favorite feature, and the pen is super responsive.

But my MBP from 2010 is still going strong so that's my main computer. I'm thinking of delegating the SP4 to only grad school stuff (papers, notes, conferences), but it is kind of big -- larger than an ipad.

So really -- IDK 

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:52 PM, Denominator said:

Anyone have any advice?

Well, you won't have to buy a stylus if you do get the Surface.

I'm thinking the same. Although I feel like either HP Spectre X360 or Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 260 would give more bang for the buck, mostly because you don't need to buy the keyboard (although you'll have to buy the pen, but they are generally cheaper anyway). But the form factor might be slightly better to use as a laptop, obviously if you intend to spend most of your time in tablet mode it's hard to beat the Surface.

I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned but, does anybody use a Chromebook? I plan on buying a better desktop so the laptop would essentially just be for e-mails, internet and typing up notes.

1 hour ago, Danger_Zone said:

I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned but, does anybody use a Chromebook? I plan on buying a better desktop so the laptop would essentially just be for e-mails, internet and typing up notes.

I asked about Chromebooks and got some good reccs starting on  page 13 of this thread :)

55 minutes ago, fencergirl said:

I asked about Chromebooks and got some good reccs starting on  page 13 of this thread :)

Thanks! I actually just bought one (it's an ASUS Chromebook 11.6" to be exact), but I wanted to know if others have had positive experiences with it as grad students (sounds like people have had positive experiences from the conversations on it here, thanks for pointing me to that page). I like the idea of having a small, light, minimal-type device to use for classes then having a desktop at home. I do have a full-size laptop as well but I found it too heavy and inconvenient to take to class during undergrad. :mellow:

10 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

I've had mine for three years and I have no complaints. Still running strong. :)

Mine is surprisingly sturdy.

Chromebook is the best! I got the Samsung 11.6 inch one (which is now "old") when I started my masters program in fall 2013 and it has been awesome. I've used it to take notes and to organize and archive of my school files on Google Drive.

I think this is the best option in terms of battery life, portability, etc. as long as you know that you have to be connected to wifi in order to use it and as long as you don't need to run any specific programs. Like you, I have a full-sized laptop at home with Microsoft Office so knew that I could always use that if necessary. To be honest though I did most of my work and general web browsing on Chromebook and then downloaded files from Google Docs to Word on my laptop whenever I needed to use it for formatting. I also realized that this was a non-issue once I found out that my school offered free Office 365 to students (yours might too). If you have access to that then you can always save files in Dropbox and use Word Online, PPT Online, etc. to edit those while using Chromebook. 

3 hours ago, arthasdk said:

Chromebook is the best! I got the Samsung 11.6 inch one (which is now "old") when I started my masters program in fall 2013 and it has been awesome. I've used it to take notes and to organize and archive of my school files on Google Drive.

I think this is the best option in terms of battery life, portability, etc. as long as you know that you have to be connected to wifi in order to use it and as long as you don't need to run any specific programs. Like you, I have a full-sized laptop at home with Microsoft Office so knew that I could always use that if necessary. To be honest though I did most of my work and general web browsing on Chromebook and then downloaded files from Google Docs to Word on my laptop whenever I needed to use it for formatting. I also realized that this was a non-issue once I found out that my school offered free Office 365 to students (yours might too). If you have access to that then you can always save files in Dropbox and use Word Online, PPT Online, etc. to edit those while using Chromebook. 

Good to know! I was worried I was going to have trouble finding a cheap quality laptop. My sister recommended a Macbook but they seem a bit pricey and I don't feel like it's necessary to keep synced up to my phone. I am planning to do something similar: take notes/do work on the laptop and transfer it over to my desktop if needed. I went through undergrad writing up notes by hand but I'd rather not rely on my sketchy notes for grad work. ;) And yes, I just found out that I get Microsoft Office for free through my school! My undergrad school didn't offer this so I was happy about that.

Edited by Danger_Zone

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a really nice air mattress for the first month or 2 of school. 

I'm hell bent on getting a purple mattress, but want to save up for it for a few more months. Luckily I can sleep on the floor without too much trouble so an air mattress should be okay... I hope.

Anyone else doing the air mattress thing?

1 hour ago, rhombusbombus said:

I just got a really nice air mattress for the first month or 2 of school. 

I'm hell bent on getting a purple mattress, but want to save up for it for a few more months. Luckily I can sleep on the floor without too much trouble so an air mattress should be okay... I hope.

Anyone else doing the air mattress thing?

I can never get air mattresses to feel warm and they're overall too squishy.  I just purged all my furniture so I'm camping on the floor until I move *sigh*