Grad. School Supplies?

SNPCracklePop

Am I the only one that cringed at the language in this article? hooker-wear?

I cringe at many of the things Kelsky says but other people like her advice so I figured I'd share that particular post.

Related question: Is it time to get rid of all of my tattered graphic tees (or at least stop wearing them in public)? None of them have cool designs or are from well-known events, and most are pretty faded/tattered. They are from things like my high school dance group, free pride Ts from my high school and undergrad institutions, and shirts from being a camp and retreat counselor. They have emotional value, but I'm starting to worry that I'm too old (and in the wrong profession) to be wearing those anymore and it makes me torn (pun not intended). Is it time to pack them all up and donate/throw them away, or can I still get away with wearing them? I've looked at the other grad students in my department for reference, and while a couple of them might have one or two such shirts (in great condition and with cool graphics), such things are rarely worn in my department.

Those sound good for library days -- that's where I try to keep my t-shirts. (The less appealing shirts are loafing around at home shirts.)

I just wanted to share my recent school supply purchase. I'm doing a big overhaul on my paper notetaking system.

Muji 0.38mm black gel pens

Muji 0.38 multi-color gel pens

Zebra mildliners in various colors

Muji A5 notebooks

Obligatory post-its and post-its

This haul (other than refills on the black gel pens and notebooks) should easily last me the rest of my doctoral program.

I don't take a lot of paper notes as a graduate student, so this is really just for brainstorming and reference books. I got tired of carrying around my filing system with lots of loose leaf paper.

So I'm looking at copybooks on amazon and found a brand called "Mead". How is it in terms of paper of paper quality? I use ink pens primarily, so would the ink seep through?

International student question: How feasible is it to take say a dozen pens and five copybooks with me instead of buying them from the US? The prices are a bit cheaper here (there are some cheap copybook options on amazon, but I can't buy any without inspecting the paper quality myself).

I'm going to try out MoMa Muji pens that Monochrome Spring suggested. Till now I've mostly used Uni-ball eye fine, and Pilot hi-techpoint, both of which are higher priced on amazon compared to their prices here. Does anyone know any other similar (and slightly cheaper) options?

So I'm looking at copybooks on amazon and found a brand called "Mead". How is it in terms of paper of paper quality? I use ink pens primarily, so would the ink seep through?

International student question: How feasible is it to take say a dozen pens and five copybooks with me instead of buying them from the US? The prices are a bit cheaper here (there are some cheap copybook options on amazon, but I can't buy any without inspecting the paper quality myself).

I'm going to try out MoMa Muji pens that Monochrome Spring suggested. Till now I've mostly used Uni-ball eye fine, and Pilot hi-techpoint, both of which are higher priced on amazon compared to their prices here. Does anyone know any other similar (and slightly cheaper) options?

Mead is common in the U.S. for paper products, and I think that they hold up just fine. I have found that only felt-tip pens bleed through to where I can't make sense of the words on the other side of the page. I think that if you use the MoMa Muji pens there will be no issues.

Anyone have a favorite planner or agenda they use? I had a staple, but they've recently went out of business (for shame!)

The one I use is a Staples brand one. It's called the Staples 2015/2016 Weekly/Monthly Academic Planner. It doesn't have options cover wise, it comes in blue or purple. It's my favourite because it has a lot of room to write stuff down and the day spaces are vertical columns rather than blocks and it gives a lot writing space, more than the traditional student planner. It comes with lots of pages to write down contact information and pages to write notes on.

Full name of the planner on the site says: Staples 2015/2016 Weekly/Monthly Academic Planner, 8-5/8" x 6-7/8", Medallions Cover Designs, Bilingual (it's only bilingual becuase I live in Canada so it's English and French).

Anyone have a favorite planner or agenda they use? I had a staple, but they've recently went out of business (for shame!)

Mead or Five Star Planners are usually my go-to. Usually in the front there are a couple of pages for important notes and dates, then a month spread followed by a day breakdown with a couple of inches of lined space to write for each day - usually 3-4 days per page. In the back there are also more pages for note-taking and usually something useful like a time zone map or conversion chart. I bought the one that I currently use from Target. 

I like At-A-Glance's big weekly/monthly planners (the spiral-bound, notebook-sized kind). I like the space and layout for the weekly portions. Like this guy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UCF8TNI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER. 

They're a bit pricier, but I'm particular about page space and layout. I've made my own before as well, but that involves a LOT of printing. 

I like At-A-Glance's big weekly/monthly planners (the spiral-bound, notebook-sized kind). I like the space and layout for the weekly portions. Like this guy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UCF8TNI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER. 

They're a bit pricier, but I'm particular about page space and layout. I've made my own before as well, but that involves a LOT of printing. 

Seconding At A Glance planners! I've had three or four and I've loved them. I like calendars that have weekly and monthly sections so that I can see what's ahead, and At A Glance always has them - with lots of room to write too!

I've been using Uncalendars since sophomore year of undergrad! I used the small size for 3 years and between scheduling for classes, research and some clubs, it was perfect. For graduate school, I purchased the larger version, for scheduling/notes for TA'ing, running the lab, etc.

I love that there aren't dates already filled in, so you can start using it whenever. It's a little overwhelming when you start, simply because there's so many boxes and I had no idea how to organize everything. But one or two weeks in, and you'll be fine!

http://www.uncalendar.com/index.jsp

I use the independently-produced August-to-August calendar/planner from Mixed Role Productions. It's US/West Coast made, recycled, and super sturdy, as well as being spiral bound, which is a must for me because I like being able to tear out pages. I've been thinking of switching entirely to Google Calendar, but for a paper edition, August-to-August is the best for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always used the moleskine weekly notebook; comes in 3 sizes, hard or soft bound, and variety of colors. http://www.moleskine.com/us/collections/model/product/12-months-weekly-notebook-black-soft-cover-large

You can get them via calendar year (Jan-Dec) or 18 month. I really like the large size; but all size are laid out with the calendar (Monday-Sunday) on the left side, while the right side is a simple ruled page (where I keep my to-do list, track other things). I converted from large to pocket size when I wasn't going to school and had less things to track, but will go back to the large size for school use. Also, the binding/cover is very durable; I throw it around in my purse/backpack, and it still stays pristine. I also imagine that if I forget to bring my research notebook or something for a meeting with professor/advisor, I can always take out this notebook to take quick notes (it has extra pages at the back of the book) and still look presentable. 

Edited by ticktock

I've always used the moleskine weekly notebook; comes in 3 sizes, hard or soft bound, and variety of colors. http://www.moleskine.com/us/collections/model/product/12-months-weekly-notebook-black-soft-cover-large

You can get them via calendar year (Jan-Dec) or 18 month. I really like the large size; but all size are laid out with the calendar (Monday-Sunday) on the left side, while the right side is a simple ruled page (where I keep my to-do list, track other things). I converted from large to pocket size when I wasn't going to school and had less things to track, but will go back to the large size for school use. Also, the binding/cover is very durable; I throw it around in my purse/backpack, and it still stays pristine. I also imagine that if I forget to bring my research notebook or something for a meeting with professor/advisor, I can always take out this notebook to take quick notes (it has extra pages at the back of the book) and still look presentable. 

That is what I got! I really like it (and I'm not usually a person who keep track of things by writing it down).

Can anyone suggest a good online planner app or template I can adapt? I  want something that can follow me across devices (printable would be great too) and that will allow me to color code my work, school, and volunteer activities. 

Personally, I just use Outlook's calendar or the basic calendar app in Mac's OS. 

Both will sync across devices, although Outlook (Exchange) calendars are probably more standard in the academic/professional world. 

Related question: Is it time to get rid of all of my tattered graphic tees (or at least stop wearing them in public)? None of them have cool designs or are from well-known events, and most are pretty faded/tattered. They are from things like my high school dance group, free pride Ts from my high school and undergrad institutions, and shirts from being a camp and retreat counselor. They have emotional value, but I'm starting to worry that I'm too old (and in the wrong profession) to be wearing those anymore and it makes me torn (pun not intended). Is it time to pack them all up and donate/throw them away, or can I still get away with wearing them? I've looked at the other grad students in my department for reference, and while a couple of them might have one or two such shirts (in great condition and with cool graphics), such things are rarely worn in my department.

I am curious about this, too. I have some t-shirts I am considering getting creative with, like throwing a blazer over the top and wearing nice jeans or slacks. I see a lot of men get away with this look... Why can't us ladies? 

I use Passion Planner, which is awesome if you want to get your butt in gear with meeting some goals. I haven't yet started my program though, and I am not sure how it's going to hold up for the types of things I'm going to need to write down. I also use Google Calendar for really important events or events that have really specific times, so that I don't forget.

BACKPACKS: On a separate note, I am so glad this thread is here just so I can shine about the new backpack I got from Staples. It was crazy cheap, and is neon yellow. I've been looking for a neon backpack with decent quality, padding, and laptop compartment, since I'll be commuting 50 miles each way on a motorcycle to school every day. Staples apparently makes their own line of backpacks, designed by students. Admittedly, the quality does not seem too great, but definitely leaps beyond Jansport's basic bag which ridiculously goes for $50+ everywhere.

NOTEBOOKS: I was wondering, do people still use hand-written notebooks frequently? It seems like laptops are how everyone would take notes, but I really like hand writing things out, especially while I'm reading books. Is it not prudent to write this all down like that? I'm worried I'll be frustrated that my notes aren't searchable...

CLOTHES: How casual is it acceptable for grad students to dress while they're in class as a student? (Maybe wrong thread for this last q...)

I take notes by hand.  I have a Livescribe pen that I love.  I commute a long way to school, and there's no way I'm carrying a laptop all that way.  I retain information better by writing it down as well.  I do have an iPad mini I use for reading articles on, and highlighting/annotating documents, but for pure note taking, handwriting rules.

NOTEBOOKS: I was wondering, do people still use hand-written notebooks frequently? It seems like laptops are how everyone would take notes, but I really like hand writing things out, especially while I'm reading books. Is it not prudent to write this all down like that? I'm worried I'll be frustrated that my notes aren't searchable...

I find taking handwritten notes more convenient than typing them. It's also easier to draw diagrams and write down equations--but of course, this is field-specific.

Someone on this forum suggested scanning and running an OCR on the notes.

I take notes by hand.  I have a Livescribe pen that I love.  I commute a long way to school, and there's no way I'm carrying a laptop all that way.  I retain information better by writing it down as well.  I do have an iPad mini I use for reading articles on, and highlighting/annotating documents, but for pure note taking, handwriting rules.

hmmm that's neat!

Are your notes searchable with that type of pen?

I've been paging through this post since I was admitted in the spring and appreciate a lot of the suggestion!

I've moved into a radically new environment - from a small liberal arts college to a large state university, and from living in relatively rural areas to the sprawl zone of an enormous city. I live in a house with three other grad students. I'm just getting started here, but I have a few insights to share for those getting started in the future:

You'll have work/study space at school/in the lab, but you need dedicated study space at home - somewhere where you can leave yourself notes, have things organized for what you need to work on next, keep books and papers. Somewhere that doesn't double as anything else. If I work in bed, then I tend to end up piling up my work on the floor when I go to bed, which then gets pushed around and covered up. Keep it in the right place. So - have a desk you like, that's comfortable, and that can hold your stuff. It doesn't need to be a massive computer desk with 80 cubby holes for everything under the sun, but it does need a drawer at least.

Get some sort of planner. Some of us like minimalism. Some people like a planner with lots of guidance - to do lists, goals, etc. Figure out what you like, or buy both. Spend time with schedule organization. If you use both a physical planner and an online calendar (Outlook, google) you might just end up being better organized by keeping both up to date. It forces you to look ahead at the calendar so that the other can be up-to-date too.

Give yourself some comfort. Do you like to cook? I do. I brought all my kitchen gear with me, including lugging a kitchenaid mixer I don't really need half way across the country. Because time-consuming things like baking, or making a really good meal, are great opportunities to let your brain process things and to think about things outside of the normal stress-and-work context. So I have all my weird kitchen utensils and ingredients and I cook and I think. And I end up with leftovers that save money. Snapware. Tupperware. Buy it. Have some other thing you like to do? Do it. And put it in your calendar and bring the stuff you need to do it with you.

Organization tools - Everyone manages their space in different ways, but if you can keep your space tidy and focused, you can have tidy and focused thoughts too. If your space is messy just because you don't have an efficient way of organizing it, get that efficient way! Get shelves, get a file cabinet, get little organization knicknacks. This stuff is cheap at goodwill. 

Stuff you like working with. An uncomfortable desk chair is going to kill your concentration. You don't need to spend a gazillion dollars to have a good chair, but don't settle for one that will make you not want to do work. Likewise, lighting that doesn't fatigue your eyes or cast weird shadows on your desk or workspace. Think about this stuff as you settle in and figure out what you need to change. Don't just get used to stuff that sucks! Buy notebooks that feel good to write in, and pens that don't hurt your hand. Some method of holding papers in your bag that doesn't leave them wrinkled or torn (story of my life).

There's enough misery involved in the amount of work required to get a graduate degree. Don't make more by refusing address other things that make you miserable. Ask yourself why you don't like, cooking, reading at home, showering, typing at your desk, being in the office. If it's caused by something you can change or work around, make it happen! Is it the noise? The light? The feel of the space or the objects you interact with? 

You're all awesome, super-smart people. We don't need to have a terrible time trying to do awesome, super-smart stuff. Make your space work, or find someone with better design sense to help!

Out.