Jump to content
Adelaide9216

SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I have perhaps a dumb question - so please forgive me. 

I was rather surprised to find out this year that my guaranteed funding package from my department had a TAship included. I.e. the money I earned from my TA position was not in addition to my stipend. 

If I were to hypothetically win a SSHRC award, would something similar occur again? Or would I have the full SSHRC award of 20k + whatever income earned from a TAship?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PosseComitatus said:

Hi all,

I have perhaps a dumb question - so please forgive me. 

I was rather surprised to find out this year that my guaranteed funding package from my department had a TAship included. I.e. the money I earned from my TA position was not in addition to my stipend. 

If I were to hypothetically win a SSHRC award, would something similar occur again? Or would I have the full SSHRC award of 20k + whatever income earned from a TAship?

Thanks

 

It really depends on which university you attend. For example, at my university there is a clause in our collective agreement that allows the university to limit a TA-ship to one semester instead of two (a year), if you win over 15k in awards. My funding model also allows the university to withdraw any funding commitments entirely outside of what's earned in your TA-ship (which I personally think is unfair). So it really depends on the institution -- I'd recommend talking to your program director/student awards officer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, PosseComitatus said:

Hi all,

I have perhaps a dumb question - so please forgive me. 

 I was rather surprised to find out this year that my guaranteed funding package from my department had a TAship included. I.e. the money I earned from my TA position was not in addition to my stipend. 

If I were to hypothetically win a SSHRC award, would something similar occur again? Or would I have the full SSHRC award of 20k + whatever income earned from a TAship?

Thanks

If you get a SSHRC you will receive the full amount of the award from SSHRC. Any TA or RA work would then be extra money in your pocket, but your university might hesitate to give you this work if you have more external funding than other students. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few more weeks until SSHRC.  Last week was too rough, with bad news from the Vanier, then a funeral of a friend, a bad cold and my PhD 1st year comp exam, which was probably when things turned positive.   I am really hoping for SSHRC but I am quite skeptical that I'll get it as my Vanier scores were inexplicably low.  Although I am told that can happen and doesn't indicate anything for SSHRC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, just a few more weeks.

@TBay,  sorry for your loss and the rough weeks in the recent rear view. 

As I understand it, the two awards are scored differently. Be hopeful, and be gentle with yourself during these next few weeks (and always).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBay said:

A few more weeks until SSHRC.  Last week was too rough, with bad news from the Vanier, then a funeral of a friend, a bad cold and my PhD 1st year comp exam, which was probably when things turned positive.   I am really hoping for SSHRC but I am quite skeptical that I'll get it as my Vanier scores were inexplicably low.  Although I am told that can happen and doesn't indicate anything for SSHRC. 

Take care ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best of luck to everyone in the coming weeks! I applied for a SSHRC Doctoral for the first time this year - hoping we all get some good news by the end of this month! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 10:30 AM, TBay said:

A few more weeks until SSHRC.  Last week was too rough, with bad news from the Vanier, then a funeral of a friend, a bad cold and my PhD 1st year comp exam, which was probably when things turned positive.   I am really hoping for SSHRC but I am quite skeptical that I'll get it as my Vanier scores were inexplicably low.  Although I am told that can happen and doesn't indicate anything for SSHRC. 

So sorry to hear this -- I also lost a close friend in PhD1 and know how hard that can be, hang in there. Hoping for SSHRC for everyone here! 

2.5-3 weeks to go now. What is everyone doing to stay positive through this time? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently wracked with anxiety. Made it to nationals last year as well, but received something like a score of 9.8??? Ouch! Anyways, not doing much to stay positive, trying to prep myself for another rejection!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was waitlisted last year as well. This whole time period is so nerve-wracking because anything can really happen. I was so close (ended up within the top 10 on the waitlist - I checked the status of my application at the end of 2018), but who knows? Maybe I won't even get waitlisted this year... stay strong everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 12:55 PM, Almond said:

Anybody in Edmonton waiting on SSHRC results know when we might expect them? I was in BC last year and got my letter May 3 I think. 

Last year, the letter hit my mailbox in Edmonton on April 30 or May 1. This depends, too, on when they are mailed. In recent years, SSHRC has announced on Twitter when they are mailed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 12:55 PM, Almond said:

Anybody in Edmonton waiting on SSHRC results know when we might expect them? I was in BC last year and got my letter May 3 I think. 

Also in Edmonton, also waiting for news! I'll update this page as soon as I hear news :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 2:54 PM, Almond said:

Currently wracked with anxiety. Made it to nationals last year as well, but received something like a score of 9.8??? Ouch! Anyways, not doing much to stay positive, trying to prep myself for another rejection!! 

Me too.  I think I have lost hope completely.  At this point, I am even doubting I will get OGS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TBay said:

Me too.  I think I have lost hope completely.  At this point, I am even doubting I will get OGS. 

It's a real tough slog, but its all out of our hands now and I'm sure that you, like me, poured your effort and time into your SSHRC app -- I'm proud of all of us for going through this gruelling process and for doing the best we can! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2019 at 10:43 AM, TBay said:

Me too.  I think I have lost hope completely.  At this point, I am even doubting I will get OGS. 

OGS and SSHRC are totally different competitions, but if you made it out of the University for SSHRC (and Vanier and/or Trudeau for some of you) I think you're chance of being ranked high enough to get OGS in your department is pretty good. It's easy to feel discouraged but try to keep some perspective and a little bit of optimism that you'll probably at least get OGS and you are definitely in the running for SSHRC. What I tell myself (whether it's actually right or wrong I don't know) is that I have a very good chance of getting OGS and a decent chance of getting SSHRC, but also that there are many other people applying for these things that are good at what they do so I might not and it doesn't mean I'm terrible (but the boost in income would have also be very nice).

The competitions by nature judge us against each other but we should try not to because we all have different paths. I saw on reddit that one person said that the university they work at actually didn't hire anybody who had a SSHRC (doctoral or Phd) in the last couple cycles of hiring even though people with the awards applied. They said that the people who didn't get it actually outperformed the people who did (of the people applying to the job). So at the end of the day whether you get it or don't let's all just keep working hard towards those long term end goals (whatever they are). It's definitely an awesome achievement and endorsement of your abilities, but it's not the be all end all. 

Having said that. I also have to remind myself to try not to think about it too much since hopefully next week (fingers crossed, but definitely the week after if the last few years is anything to go off of) we will get the results and whatever they are it will be a weight off all of our shoulders. (Until next fall at least for those of us who re-apply...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, displaynamesarehard said:

OGS and SSHRC are totally different competitions, but if you made it out of the University for SSHRC (and Vanier and/or Trudeau for some of you) I think you're chance of being ranked high enough to get OGS in your department is pretty good. It's easy to feel discouraged but try to keep some perspective and a little bit of optimism that you'll probably at least get OGS and you are definitely in the running for SSHRC. What I tell myself (whether it's actually right or wrong I don't know) is that I have a very good chance of getting OGS and a decent chance of getting SSHRC, but also that there are many other people applying for these things that are good at what they do so I might not and it doesn't mean I'm terrible (but the boost in income would have also be very nice).

The competitions by nature judge us against each other but we should try not to because we all have different paths. I saw on reddit that one person said that the university they work at actually didn't hire anybody who had a SSHRC (doctoral or Phd) in the last couple cycles of hiring even though people with the awards applied. They said that the people who didn't get it actually outperformed the people who did (of the people applying to the job). So at the end of the day whether you get it or don't let's all just keep working hard towards those long term end goals (whatever they are). It's definitely an awesome achievement and endorsement of your abilities, but it's not the be all end all. 

Having said that. I also have to remind myself to try not to think about it too much since hopefully next week (fingers crossed, but definitely the week after if the last few years is anything to go off of) we will get the results and whatever they are it will be a weight off all of our shoulders. (Until next fall at least for those of us who re-apply...)

Well put!

On that note, I realize this is a SSHRC thread, but does anyone expect upcoming OGS grants to be slashed by the ON government? My institution has delayed announcing OGS results by an extra two months, and I was wondering if these cuts may be in the work? Are these delays also happening at other ON institutions? 

Hopefully we get results next week, but recent history has shown that SSHRC sends out letters around the last business day of April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, elodie said:

Well put!

On that note, I realize this is a SSHRC thread, but does anyone expect upcoming OGS grants to be slashed by the ON government? My institution has delayed announcing OGS results by an extra two months, and I was wondering if these cuts may be in the work? Are these delays also happening at other ON institutions? 

Hopefully we get results next week, but recent history has shown that SSHRC sends out letters around the last business day of April.

 

I haven’t heard anything about the funding cuts impacting OGS. My school usually doesn’t announce OGS until the end of April/beginning of May so maybe they just changed their model?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So any assumptions on whether SSHRC results have been mailed out? Easter long weekend has thrown off any predictions for me on where our applications might be in the process. Also, who from SSHRC is tweeting on a Saturday? LOL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Kleio_77 said:

So any assumptions on whether SSHRC results have been mailed out? Easter long weekend has thrown off any predictions for me on where our applications might be in the process. Also, who from SSHRC is tweeting on a Saturday? LOL. 

Last year, results were mailed on April 27. The year before, it was April 23, if memory serves. My guess is that results will be mailed by Friday and letters will arrive the week of April 29. If it's sooner: great. But I'm trying to persuade myself to focus on other things this week. (Haha. Ha.) Wish me luck with that. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told by my financial aid office that things could be delayed because of the mail strike earlier in the year, which apparently caused delays in the review process.  I'm hoping they have caught up though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TBay said:

I was told by my financial aid office that things could be delayed because of the mail strike earlier in the year, which apparently caused delays in the review process.  I'm hoping they have caught up though. 

 

I heard the same thing. The application packages were probably delayed in getting to Ottawa.

If only SSHRC would switch to online applications/notification like CIHR and NSERC have been doing for years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 1:05 PM, TBay said:

I was told by my financial aid office that things could be delayed because of the mail strike earlier in the year, which apparently caused delays in the review process.  I'm hoping they have caught up though. 

 

I bit the bullet and emailed SSHRC to ask when they expected to mail the results and they still said the end of April, so it sounds like they're caught up. Sure wish they could be a bit more specific than "the end of April" though... some might consider now to be the end of April...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, displaynamesarehard said:

I bit the bullet and emailed SSHRC to ask when they expected to mail the results and they still said the end of April, so it sounds like they're caught up. Sure wish they could be a bit more specific than "the end of April" though... some might consider now to be the end of April...

I think "end of April" means April 30 in that sentence.  :) 
7 more sleeps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.