Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

Sure, I am a CYW (graduated in 2000 from Humber College), Undergrad in Peace and Conflicts Studies minor in Social Development Studies at Waterloo (79% average, but higher in my last two years).  I have worked full-time in mental health mostly in hospitals for the last 18 years.  I currently work in emerge doing mental health assessments and intake for out-patient referrals.  Guess you could say I did my time in the field, lol.  Good Luck!!!

Apparently with the September cohort they sent out denials and waitlist letters first, then the acceptance ones.  Hopefully thats the case this time as well.

Edited by dem13

1 hour ago, dem13 said:

Apparently with the September cohort they sent out denials and waitlist letters first, then the acceptance ones.  Hopefully thats the case this time as well.

That's what I've been thinking too. No changes on Loris for me either... 

Email from enrolment advisor

It seems that the admissions teams may be taking a little longer than anticipated due to the high volume of applications that were received, they have advised us that the decisions will be out by next week the latest. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

3 hours ago, hellohamilton said:

ouch.  just received notification that i did not get into the MSW program at laurier.  not even waitlisted.

i wish luck to all those that applied!  good luck team ❤️ 

So sorry!  Keep trying...I know a ton of people who were rejected a bunch of times before they got in.

I'm a little confused about the msw application process.  Do we need to apply through the Ont University Application site AND each individual university? And then they link? Does this mean the application fee is per university? Some of the school websites seem to suggest this while others do not. Any clarification is much appreciated!

Re: WLU MSW online for Jan 2019

Found out yesterday that my app is a Reject as well. And it's my birthday tomorrow! ? LOL.  

A lot of other schools provide a template letter for their reasoning.  Other than "we've had a lot of applicants", no other info given.  I've contacted the university for feedback. I'll post when I hear.

Super frustrating because I had applied for several Masters programs (Counseling & Rehabilitation Sciences), several years in a row. Even applied for an accelerated RN program at UBC!  Rejected.  Spent >$4K on application fees and upgrading courses.  Not to mention the time spent!

I figured that part of my life was done.  Then in February, a new supervisor walked into my life (surprised that I wasn't already a SW) & got me all hyped up! & here we are.  I honestly thought this time would be different.  I'll apply once more, after receiving feedback. 

Good luck to everyone - including those who already received a Reject.  

My background:

-Undergrad Psych & Bio with a non-competitive B- average.  (Also took Organic Chem & Calculus which have a dismal 50% pass rate. But course averages won't likely be taken into account.)

-since 2001, worked in frontline mental health at safe houses, was outreach case manager to folks in the DTES, was in outpatient psych as psychometric diagnostician.  Extremely stressful times with burnout, secondary trauma and job displacements.  (Likely the fact that I still obtained permanent positions in the field, with no breaks in my employment records, will not be taken into account.)

- research experience in pain, anxiety, depression, forensics

- recently joined a Community of Practice.  And wish me luck as I've applied to be a Board member of a local MH mag.

Edited by VeronicaJ

1 hour ago, VeronicaJ said:

Found out yesterday that my app is a Reject as well. And it's my birthday tomorrow! ? LOL.  

A lot of other schools provide a template letter for their reasoning.  Other than "we've had a lot of applicants", no other info given.  I've contacted the university for feedback. I'll post when I hear.

Super frustrating because I had applied for several Masters programs (Counseling & Rehabilitation Sciences), several years in a row. Even applied for an accelerated RN program at UBC!  Rejected.  Spent >$4K on application fees and upgrading courses.  Not to mention the time spent!

I figured that part of my life was done.  Then in February, a new supervisor walked into my life (surprised that I wasn't already a SW) & got me all hyped up! & here we are.  I honestly thought this time would be different.  I'll apply once more, after receiving feedback. 

My background:

-Undergrad Psych & Bio with a non-competitive B- average.  (Also took Organic Chem & Calculus which have a dismal 50% pass rate. But course averages won't likely be taken into account.)

-since 2001, worked in frontline mental health at safe houses, was outreach case manager to folks in the DTES, was in outpatient psych as psychometric diagnostician.  Extremely stressful times with burnout, secondary trauma and job displacements.  (Likely the fact that I still obtained permanent positions in the field, with no breaks in my employment records, will not be taken into account.)

- recently joined a Community of Practice.  And wish me luck as I've applied to be a Board member of a local MH mag.

Good luck going forward!  I didn’t get any reasoning either besides the high amount of applicants.  Who do you contact to ask about improvements to application?  I think I’m going to apply for Athabasca’s master of counselling psychology.  See how that goes.  I’m not trying Laurier anymore.

Edited by dem13

I have known a few people who have done the Masters of Counc at Yorkville and had a good experience. I know it's easier to get into since it is private and more experience. I don't think it mattets where you get your education as long as you get registered afterwards. You will gain your best skills on your job practicums working under another counsellor. Best of luck to you all. 

I was waitlisted for september MSW online at Laurier and surprised to see no one has been waitlisted as of yet. Hopefully, some good news is still to come for those who are waiting.

Edited by Noelle1
Need to add

9 hours ago, VeronicaJ said:

My background:

It sounds like you have a TON of relevant experience in SW. I was told you needed a B average to apply (in last 10 courses). Did you have that? If not you could do a few online classes through Athabaska Un to boost your GPA and apply again. From what i have seen it seems like experience is huge to get accepted into this program. UVIC has a good online bachelors in SW. It isn't much longer than a Masters? I am still trying to figure out a back up plan.

Are there any online BSW programs for students who already have a bachelors degree I wonder?  Something that could be done in a couple years?  I’m going to be honest, one of my biggest issues is that I don’t have much volunteer experience.  I truly do not have time for it.  I have kids, a job, and doing online university courses. I barely have a minute for myself let alone time to volunteer.  Makes my applications look bad I guess.  Here in Grande Prairie, our college has a 2 year learning circles BSW program for people who already have a degree.  There are classes every second weekend (fri and sat). Doesn’t sound too bad but I’d prefer to do something completely online.  I’m a nurse so work a lot of weekends, it would be hard to manage.

Edited by dem13

57 minutes ago, dem13 said:

Are there any online BSW programs for students who already have a bachelors degree I wonder?  Something that could be done in a couple years?  I’m going to be honest, one of my biggest issues is that I don’t have much volunteer experience.  I truly do not have time for it.  I have kids, a job, and doing online university courses. I barely have a minute for myself let alone time to volunteer.  Makes my applications look bad I guess.  Here in Grande Prairie, our college has a 2 year learning circles BSW program for people who already have a degree.  There are classes every second weekend (fri and sat). Doesn’t sound too bad but I’d prefer to do something completely online.  I’m a nurse so work a lot of weekends, it would be hard to manage.

Yes! I did a two year post-degree BSW at Dalhousie after a BA in psych (they have an online version, I did it on campus though). Also, I believe UVic and University of Manitoba have online BSWs as well. 

I know though, that at Dal you need to do a week or two on-campus at the beginning (summer)...

Edited by SocialWERK2019

Working on apps as well! A little stressed about how much social service experience I currently have. I have tons of research experience (1000+ hours) but social service experience includes: group support facilitator, peer support worker, senior's visitor, child community outreach volunteer. It totals up to about 1000 hours but I feel like its not enough. any advice if this is sufficient? :( 

On 9/19/2018 at 12:19 AM, veecee said:

Hi everyone. I was wondering, for the people that already have a BSW, what is your main reason for doing an MSW? Is it because the jobs/pay is better? Or other reasons? I don't know, I just want to be a social worker and already have a BA and MA so might as well do an MSW. But if you have a BSW you can be a social worker from what I understand so just wondering what benefits an MSW has over a BSW. :) 

I completed my BSW at Renison (UWaterloo), graduating in 2016. I feel that having an MSW gives you A LOT more career opportunities. Most social work jobs request a BSW or MSW degree, therefore giving applicants with an MSW the advantage. I honestly feel like I'm either overqualified or under qualified for everything! Also, I am interested in working in the mental health field where an MSW is usually required. I definitely do not regret doing my BSW first though! 

Hi all! First I wanted to ask, does anyone know if your chance of being accepted to MSW programs is higher if you're applying to Advanced Standing programs (requiring a BSW degree) as opposed to applying for 2-year MSW programs? Reading replies to last years thread has me paranoid ?

About myself: I finished my BSW at UWaterloo in 2016 with a 92% cumulative average. I finished my BA in Social Development Studies also at UWaterloo with a 80% overall (damn you first year grades). If you are looking at my last 10 courses/5 full credits my average was 91.5%

I have 4,000 hours of professional/work experience and 550 hours of volunteer experience. I haven't volunteered in 2018 due to the hours of my full-time job being very unaccommodating which scares me. Post-BSW experience includes full-time work at a drop-in centre for teenagers for over a year, providing counselling and referral services and developing/facilitating programs; working as a respite caregiver (supporting a young person with autism) beginning nearly 2 years ago; and completing a 4 month full-time contract as a caseworker with individuals who have disabilities, teaching life skills one-on-one and leading group workshops. Volunteer wise I was part of a group that provided support to Canadian newcomers, and have volunteered for environmental initiatives. My BSW placement was working in youth addictions. Related experience I had Pre-BSW includes a summer job working for CMHA and a lot of volunteer experience with people who have disabilities and seniors.

I completed my application for Laurier's Online Advanced Standing MSW - May 2019 start. I am also applying to Laurier's Advanced Standing MSW Full-Time in class (Sept 2019 start) and might apply to Western's full-time program too. Online would be my preference! Anyone who is doing an online program, feel free to message me! I would appreciate chatting, especially if you are going to Laurier! 

Hi all! 

I'm currently attending the two-year MSW program at U of T and just wanted to pop in to share the link to last years forum (https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/94586-canadian-msw-applicants-2018/). It's pretty extensive as a lot of us we were on it 24/7 last year but if you look throughout, you can find information on deadlines and acceptance dates, and a lot of general questions are answered :) 

Hope this helps and good luck! I know that the application process is super stressful! 

On 10/8/2018 at 3:45 PM, Purple-Elephant said:

Hi all! First I wanted to ask, does anyone know if your chance of being accepted to MSW programs is higher if you're applying to Advanced Standing programs (requiring a BSW degree) as opposed to applying for 2-year MSW programs? Reading replies to last years thread has me paranoid ?

About myself: I finished my BSW at UWaterloo in 2016 with a 92% cumulative average. I finished my BA in Social Development Studies also at UWaterloo with a 80% overall (damn you first year grades). If you are looking at my last 10 courses/5 full credits my average was 91.5%

I have 4,000 hours of professional/work experience and 550 hours of volunteer experience. I haven't volunteered in 2018 due to the hours of my full-time job being very unaccommodating which scares me. Post-BSW experience includes full-time work at a drop-in centre for teenagers for over a year, providing counselling and referral services and developing/facilitating programs; working as a respite caregiver (supporting a young person with autism) beginning nearly 2 years ago; and completing a 4 month full-time contract as a caseworker with individuals who have disabilities, teaching life skills one-on-one and leading group workshops. Volunteer wise I was part of a group that provided support to Canadian newcomers, and have volunteered for environmental initiatives. My BSW placement was working in youth addictions. Related experience I had Pre-BSW includes a summer job working for CMHA and a lot of volunteer experience with people who have disabilities and seniors.

I completed my application for Laurier's Online Advanced Standing MSW - May 2019 start. I am also applying to Laurier's Advanced Standing MSW Full-Time in class (Sept 2019 start) and might apply to Western's full-time program too. Online would be my preference! Anyone who is doing an online program, feel free to message me! I would appreciate chatting, especially if you are going to Laurier! 

I had a similar academic background as you! I did my BA in SDS (2016) and then did the BSW (2017), both at Waterloo. I'm currently doing my MSW at UofT. 

You definitely have higher grades and more experience than I did when I got in, which hopefully means good things for you. I feel like what really helped my application were my solid references and academic research experience. 

When I was doing my research of MSW programs, all the schools I came across that had statistics on this had a higher acceptance rate for Advanced Standing programs versus 2-year programs. 

Hi everybody!

I'm hoping somebody is able to give me feedback on how competitive my application is for the FIFSW 2-Year MSW Program. 

I completed my BA in Psychology in 2017. My average in my last year was 92, but it drops substantially to about the mid-80s range within the last 10 credits depending on whether you only count senior-level credits or not. I did an undergrad thesis on cross-cultural bullying which I've since published. I also have another publication in a Springer encyclopedia. Since then, I've been doing my MA in a related field, and I'm still doing cross-cultural bullying research, as my thesis is about the psychosocial experiences of girls in unpredictable and harsh environments who go through puberty earlier than their peers. When the application deadline comes around, I'll have 5 (maybe more!) conferences to put on my CV. I have about 1000 hours of working in social services working with children with LDs and ADHD, and well over that if you including my teaching, research and other employment hours. I also have roughly 400 community volunteer hours.  I have been a research assistant in 4 labs, and my most current research methodology mark is a 90. I'm also currently auditing PhD level stats, and the professor for this course is one of my references. My other references are my current MA supervisor and my work supervisor. 

Let me know what you think! :)  

On 10/13/2018 at 11:21 AM, SwagMaster said:

I had a similar academic background as you! I did my BA in SDS (2016) and then did the BSW (2017), both at Waterloo. I'm currently doing my MSW at UofT. 

You definitely have higher grades and more experience than I did when I got in, which hopefully means good things for you. I feel like what really helped my application were my solid references and academic research experience. 

When I was doing my research of MSW programs, all the schools I came across that had statistics on this had a higher acceptance rate for Advanced Standing programs versus 2-year programs. 

Hey fellow Renison buddy! You have eased my mind a little bit. It is so stressful because everyone seems so qualified. How are you liking UofT?