Gender/Feminist Studies (Fall 2019)

Still waiting on a few GS programs. Waiting is tough.

Anyone happen to know the admissions stats for The University of Minnesota?

What about UCSC? I wonder if all of their interviewees have heard back yet...

2 hours ago, needdat said:

Still waiting on a few GS programs. Waiting is tough.

Anyone happen to know the admissions stats for The University of Minnesota?

What about UCSC? I wonder if all of their interviewees have heard back yet...

My friend got into Santa Cruz 2 weeks ago ?

On 2/3/2019 at 3:45 PM, stressedandconfused said:

My friend got into Santa Cruz 2 weeks ago ?

The results page also lists someone getting an interview. Maybe they’re waiting to see if any of them choose other offers. Hmm. Lol uncertainty does awful things to ones imagination.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:18 PM, Anzi said:

I received acceptance from  Arizona State U, anyone heard about their Gender Studies program before? 

Ou I strongly considered applying there! It seemed like an awesome program. Location wise it was just too far though.

1 hour ago, jmc117 said:

Ou I strongly considered applying there! It seemed like an awesome program. Location wise it was just too far though.

Thank you so much! I see your program list and I also applied for York's WGSS. But it is highly unlikely to receive admission since one of my references couldn't write a letter, and I have no means to change the information. Sad, but I wish you could get into! 

Edited by Anzi

1 hour ago, Anzi said:

Thank you so much! I see your program list and I also applied for York's WGSS. But it is highly unlikely to receive admission since one of my references couldn't write a letter, and I have no means to change the information. Sad, but I wish you could get into! 

Oh no sorry to hear about your reference :( Are you waiting to see other acceptances or pretty set on Arizona?

Ahhhh dang, just got a rejection from U. Michigan's Psychology and Women's Studies Joint program. I really liked their program and am a bit disappointed, but fortunately I have other things in the fire! That also hopefully means that their admission announcement will go out soon. Good luck to those still in the running!!

16 hours ago, jmc117 said:

Oh no sorry to hear about your reference :( Are you waiting to see other acceptances or pretty set on Arizona?

It's OK. I am not really into York tbh, even I love their faculty pack. The whole school runs with an incredibly low efficiency. 

Still waiting other schools' response. I hope I could get a better one lol.

1 hour ago, Anzi said:

It's OK. I am not really into York tbh, even I love their faculty pack. The whole school runs with an incredibly low efficiency. 

Still waiting other schools' response. I hope I could get a better one lol.

The low efficiency comment is what I have been hearing consistently across the board...makes me nervous lol. Yeah me too. Funding would be very nice too!

1 minute ago, jmc117 said:

The low efficiency comment is what I have been hearing consistently across the board...makes me nervous lol. Yeah me too. Funding would be very nice too!

York is really about what you make of it. There are a few people I know who've finished their PhDs and gotten multiple  offers from very very good schools in the states, and there are others who dont ( also striking every few years means there are a few more obstacles to contend with).

1 hour ago, socisocisoci said:

York is really about what you make of it. There are a few people I know who've finished their PhDs and gotten multiple  offers from very very good schools in the states, and there are others who dont ( also striking every few years means there are a few more obstacles to contend with).

Very true as well. I am thankful I know (for the most part) what I am stepping into with York should they offer me an acceptance there.

I will say that the current student profiles give me hope as there are people doing relatable projects to what I imagine my own would be

hi everyone! been lurking on this forum for a while. the only gender studies PhD program I applied to was Rutgers. I randomly checked the web portal today and saw that I've been admitted--but under "degree" it now says MA, not PhD. has this happened to anyone? is it normal practice for a PhD program to admit applicants for an MA instead of a PhD? 

On 2/6/2019 at 11:36 AM, animegirlfriend said:

I saw on the results page that someone was on the waitlist at Rutgers. I haven't received any news from there, so I'm probably just waiting for my rejection. Has anyone heard anything more?

I checked the portal today and saw that I was accepted--but it now says "MA" not "PhD." I'm checking with the department to see what this means for sure. maybe keep checking the portal?

14 hours ago, formermary said:

I checked the portal today and saw that I was accepted--but it now says "MA" not "PhD." I'm checking with the department to see what this means for sure. maybe keep checking the portal?

Hey, did you had an interview? Can you update us here regarding the situation?

I am waitlisted but haven't heard anything from them since last week. I hope I can make it. It is (was) my first choice!

I hope you made it also! 

Best,

14 hours ago, formermary said:

Hmm, just checked the portal and I still have a "no decision" status. Thanks for the update and congrats. :)

On 2/13/2019 at 5:22 AM, Wanndah said:

Hey, did you had an interview? Can you update us here regarding the situation?

I am waitlisted but haven't heard anything from them since last week. I hope I can make it. It is (was) my first choice!

I hope you made it also! 

Best,

I just got this email from the department:

In reviewing some of the applications, the Admissions Committee decided that some applications would work best for the Masters, rather than for the Doctoral, Program.  if you have been notified that you have been accepted into the Masters Program, then, yes, you have been considered for and accepted to matriculate into that Program only.

So, they admitted me for the MA instead of the PhD. Very weird because I applied for the PhD specifically! I hope you get off the waitlist for the PhD! 

21 hours ago, formermary said:

In reviewing some of the applications, the Admissions Committee decided that some applications would work best for the Masters, rather than for the Doctoral, Program.  if you have been notified that you have been accepted into the Masters Program, then, yes, you have been considered for and accepted to matriculate into that Program only.

So, they admitted me for the MA instead of the PhD. Very weird because I applied for the PhD specifically! I hope you get off the waitlist for the PhD! 

Hi, I just get the access to the portal of my RU application status. I realized I haven't yet provide my financial document nor official transcript, would this affect the committees' decision making? 

Edited by Anzi

20 hours ago, Anzi said:

Hi, I just get the access to the portal of my RU application status. I realized I haven't yet provide my financial document nor official transcript, would this affect the committees' decision making? 

I have no idea--I'm just an applicant! 

On 2/14/2019 at 5:42 PM, formermary said:

That's very odd! I have never heard or seen something like that. And usually, when you apply for a PhD, your proposal isn't set in stone, so it's normal that in the course of your degree, the scope of your topic evolves... 

Hi All ,

Applied (Multi-Disciplinary Gender studies) at Rutgers, UChicago, and Wisconsin Madisson ...any news on their decisions  .Any update would be very helpful .

Got accepted at LSE and Cambridge , their decisions came in the first /second week of Feb . 

Thank you !

Edited by Hit