HGSE 2019

civitas

At 4:24 PM EST, apparently I got an email to check my status. At 4:34, I randomly woke up (currently in Japan for Universal Studios) and checked my email because I realized it’s afternoon in the US.

I got accepted to the Master of Education Program in Teacher Education. I am so thankful!! And now off to Universal Studios. What I thought would be a conciliation trip is now going to be a celebration!

Good luck everyone!

Edited by LizKay

54 minutes ago, LearnGrowTeach said:

Decisions will be released today. Phone calls to accepted EdLD candidates were made yesterday. During those calls, we were told that the emails would be sent and decisions would be posted today.

Good luck to everyone!

Did you get in? If so congrats!!!

1 hour ago, civitas said:

Got a rejection for TIE program - seems absurd as I already had an interview earlier this month - but it certainly has some points, as the AO told me that they don't have a corresponding PhD program, and very few people got into a PhD after the program. So, basically, I think I don't match the program...

Rejected as well. Guess they don’t like entrepreneurs after all. 

Just now, civitas said:

Find the program that matches you best - that is what I am doing right now.

It was either higher education or educational policy management. I’m quite surprised with the rejection actually. Do they think they will tell us what went “wrong” so we address those concerns for next year? I’m not giving up. 

Just now, Anon79158 said:

Perhaps my startup came across as too profit focused, although that was never my intention. I mentioned that we did quite a large amount in revenue for 2018. 

No, I don't think they will spend any time to explain the reason in the application season - but maybe you can schedule a call with them prior to your application to see which program fits you best.

Hey, folks! Congratulations to those fortunate enough to go. I hope you get everything you hoped for from it and more.

I wanted to chime in for posterity, as I got an extremely surprising rejection, though for an obvious reason.

It just sucks to have undergraduate grades haunt me still. *shrug* And I do feel dumb and embarrassed, as I assumed I was going to get the Urban Scholars full ride with a really impressive essay.

Program/Concentration: EPM (Master)
GRE Score: 170/161/5.0
GPA: 2.51 undergraduate (depression spurred by a painful parent divorce)
Work Experience: 5 years at the best voucher school in the country/best school for African American kids in Wisconsin
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Ivy, which I take kiddos to every year http://bit.ly/DartmouthTrips
Research Experience: none
LoR/SoP: Superintendent (low-level known in national circles, national award winner), Supervisor, college admissions person from my undergraduate explaining to disregard my grades, all quality, statement of purpose is one of the best things I've ever written and genuinely got a tear or two from neutral parties

Other: good connections from alumni, midwesterner, unique school
What Other Schools Are You Applying to: Tuck, Kellogg, Wilson

4 hours ago, GhaleonQ said:

Hey, folks! Congratulations to those fortunate enough to go. I hope you get everything you hoped for from it and more.

I wanted to chime in for posterity, as I got an extremely surprising rejection, though for an obvious reason.

It just sucks to have undergraduate grades haunt me still. *shrug* And I do feel dumb and embarrassed, as I assumed I was going to get the Urban Scholars full ride with a really impressive essay.

Program/Concentration: EPM (Master)
GRE Score: 170/161/5.0
GPA: 2.51 undergraduate (depression spurred by a painful parent divorce)
Work Experience: 5 years at the best voucher school in the country/best school for African American kids in Wisconsin
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Ivy, which I take kiddos to every year http://bit.ly/DartmouthTrips
Research Experience: none
LoR/SoP: Superintendent (low-level known in national circles, national award winner), Supervisor, college admissions person from my undergraduate explaining to disregard my grades, all quality, statement of purpose is one of the best things I've ever written and genuinely got a tear or two from neutral parties

Other: good connections from alumni, midwesterner, unique school
What Other Schools Are You Applying to: Tuck, Kellogg, Wilson

I don’t think it’s the grades. My GRE Scores were not good. 153 on Verbal, 140 in Math and a 4.5 on writing and my undergrad GPA was a 3.1, masters 3.9. I truly believe that they look at the whole application and now I can say that I know that from experience, since I was accepted. It also depends on what each program is looking for. After I was denied acceptance to the doctoral program I lost hope I’m getting in to the masters program. 

Congratulations to all who could make it. Those who couldn't there is surely something better waiting for you in the pipeline. All the very best for it!

Is there anyone who is confused between the IEDP at UPenn and the IEP at HGSE program? I have been admitted to both but am utterly confused. As of now, I am more inclined to the Penn program given that it offers the internship and is an 18-month program versus the 9-month at Harvard. But it is still a tough choice to make.

1 hour ago, mems2019 said:

Any idea when we should get information about funding? Stanford's got a pretty generous offer on the table that I can't really imagine passing up...

In the next 2-3 weeks, we should have the details.

Program/Concentration: Education Policy and Management (Master)
GRE Score: 162V/157Q/3.5W
GPA: 3.1
Work Experience: 2 years teaching at charter school, 1 year being principal at said charter, 2 years teaching at public school, 3 years as director of education planning at a think tank, 2 years director at non profit for 2-3 schools
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Public - UCB
Research Experience: 3 years 
LoR/SoP: Former principal, current supervisor, vice president of think tank

Other: 
What Other Schools Are You Applying to: Columbia

Accepted!

22 minutes ago, Lavaniya said:

Is anyone who has been accepted bringing children with them? 

I'm expecting to have my first child in two months. Depending on if I get into my second choice or not, I plan to attend Harvard in the fall.

Program/Concentration: Prevention Science and Practice (Master)
GRE Score: 154V/130Q/3.5W
GPA: 3.3
Work Experience: Bay Area 2015 Teach For America alum, AmeriCorps VISTA alum, 2 years teaching as a Special Education teacher at a public high school in East Oakland, 2 years as a Special Education teacher at a public charter in South Central Los Angeles
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Undergrad: Public - University of California, Grad: Private - Catholic School 
Research Experience: Completed an M.A. degree in Special Education w/ research thesis at a private Catholic school in L.A.
LoR/SoP: Current principal/ supervisor (also a Harvard GSE alum), undergraduate research thesis advisor, graduate research thesis advisor//// I bombed the GRE, but I put in at least two months of work on my SOP. 

Other: I also completed the Personal History and Fellowship statements. 
What Other Schools Are You Applying to: UPENN (Interview scheduled for upcoming week) 

Accepted!!!!! Literally, attending Harvard is a dream come true! 

I do feel like Harvard GSE looks at each applicant holistically. I was definitely intimidated to apply, especially after bombing the GRE, but I worked my behind off on my SOP and made sure to let my work and research experiences make the case for accepting me. Don't underestimate the power of solid and relevant work experience, a compelling essay, and strong letters of rec!