Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

12 minutes ago, ventiamericano said:

Was QU one of yours? Bc I'm right with you on that one LOL

Queens and Western LOOLLL the pain it burns. Conspiracy--they made their rankings lists and once psych got official rejections out they passed that onto the awards people and chopped the people who weren't accepted/waitlisted so we couldn't hold the awards and troll (decisions officially sent in as of end-of-march). Seems the only chance of having an award without an acceptance is if you were waitlisted/final short list...SIGH!! 

Edited by higaisha

31 minutes ago, PsychologyLife1 said:

One of the school's for my SSHRC application says not offered then the other still says received by administrator....when will I find out about this one? Or is it likely a rejection?

I don't think that means rejection necessarily! "Received by administrator" means that the committee at X school is still deliberating applications. Fingers crossed for you!

8 minutes ago, Ladydaydream said:

What's the likelihood of getting accepted if you're the/an alternate for a school? 

It depends on how many awards are allocated to your school, how many applicants there were, and whether or not anyone declines their award from the first round of offers. Any balance of offers continue to be offered to Alternates until the quota is met.

I'm an alternate for NSERC wondering how many people are on the alternate list at my school too!

5 hours ago, ventiamericano said:

Does anyone know if all schools were required to submit their CGS results by today? Ryerson’s status still hasn’t changed on my list...

Mine hasn't changed either! 

4 hours ago, gillis_55 said:

Received 1 alternate offer for CGS-M, 2 "Not Offered". Fingers crossed! It's not at the school I'm attending but it'd still be nice to say "declined" on my CV. 

What does alternate mean? I just got an update on my status and it switched to alternate. 

21 minutes ago, NorthernBlondie said:

Does anyone know if I got an offer for CGS to one school and plan on accepting it, if there is way to let other schools know if you are an alternate that you won't be needing it?

As soon as you accept one CGSM offer, it will render your other offers as "declined". AKA its automatic. Congrats!! :)

7 minutes ago, PsychologyLife1 said:

What does alternate mean? I just got an update on my status and it switched to alternate. 

AKA waitlisted. It also says what "alternate" is on the site itself if you want the full description. :)

Edited by Mickey26

53 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

As soon as you accept one CGSM offer, it will render your other offers as "declined". AKA its automatic. Congrats!! :)

AKA waitlisted. It also says what "alternate" is on the site itself if you want the full description. :)

Oh okay, that makes sense! Thanks so much :)

54 minutes ago, vygotskyisgod said:

I've received an offer from SSHRC!! :D

Does anyone know what the next steps to the process are? My actual project will be a lot different than what I have proposed. I heard that if this is the case then they need to be notified, is this true?

Congrats!! 

Next step would be accepting it and notifying your POI, and I think that's it!

I don't think that's true. They don't expect you to do what you proposed for the most part. I believe it would only be an issue if you started on research that falls under CIHR or NSERC rather than SSHRC.

Edited by chopper.wife

1 hour ago, chopper.wife said:

Congrats!! 

I don't think that's true. They don't expect you to do what you proposed for the most part. I believe it would only be an issue if you started on research that falls under CIHR or NSERC rather than SSHRC.

I was told as well that you don't have to specifically do what you stated on your proposal! I think they look at it more to judge the quality of your writing and critical thinking skills, but I could be wrong! It wouldn't make sense to me if you had to do what it said in the proposal because if you are applying to three different schools, the research may be quite different at the three different schools (which was my case).

2 hours ago, vygotskyisgod said:

I've received an offer from SSHRC!! :D

Does anyone know what the next steps to the process are? My actual project will be a lot different than what I have proposed. I heard that if this is the case then they need to be notified, is this true?

Hey great question. As others have reiterated, it is a way to showcase your writing/critical thinking skills. However, your research project should still be somewhat related to what you proposed. For example, if I proposed a study on examining the motivations behind gambling, but now I'm interested in gambling and mental health--you can do that. As long as it's within the general realm of what you proposed (topic: gambling), you're good to go. Does that help? Your POI should help clarify this with you :)

Well I have sat in silence long enough. Has anyone heard from Memorial University in Newfoundland for the PsyD? 

And is anyone else sitting in limbo for Ryerson & Dalhousie? (I know offers have been sent out for both, just looking to see if anyone else is waiting for status changes). 

Congrats to everyone who will be starting in the Fall! 

1 hour ago, Willy36 said:

This might be a dumb question...but for example, if you're applying to 3 different schools and plan on applying for the tri-agency funding... would you submit THREE separate CGS applications? Thanks team!

Nope - it's all in one application thankfully. You fill out your proposal, CV, etc. and then select the 3 schools from dropdown lists. For OGS, it's individual to each school so theoretically you could prepare different proposals for each. 

Might be a dumb question, but with OGS, are you competing with everyone who applied or is it department-specific? So in other words, does a school choose successful applicants in each faculty or across faculties? Not sure if it works the same as CGS, thanks in advance!

On April 1, 2019 at 6:29 PM, Mickey26 said:

Hey great question. As others have reiterated, it is a way to showcase your writing/critical thinking skills. However, your research project should still be somewhat related to what you proposed. For example, if I proposed a study on examining the motivations behind gambling, but now I'm interested in gambling and mental health--you can do that. As long as it's within the general realm of what you proposed (topic: gambling), you're good to go. Does that help? Your POI should help clarify this with you :)

On April 1, 2019 at 4:52 PM, chopper.wife said:

Congrats!! 

Thanks for your replies! But yikes, my original proposal was on a study examining lie-telling and moral contagion. Since I ended up going with a different supervisor, I'll be studying something totally different (association between comorbidity and suicide). In my interview with my new supervisor, she did say that this shouldn't be a problem and that in the case that I do get in with her, I'd just have to send something in notifying them of my changes. I guess I should probably ask her what to do about this now.