Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

1 hour ago, Willy36 said:

Lol I'm still waiting as well. Haven't heard of any acceptances or rejections...just...bloody silence and waiting...... At this point I'm just waiting to hear back about the tri-agency funding / OGS

7 days y'all! 

13 hours ago, Willy36 said:

Lol I'm still waiting as well. Haven't heard of any acceptances or rejections...just...bloody silence and waiting...... At this point I'm just waiting to hear back about the tri-agency funding / OGS

11 hours ago, higaisha said:

7 days y'all! 

Yes, 7 days!! I got an email last week saying my CGS-M application status changed and nearly had a heart attack, but all it changed to was "Received by administrator" 

17 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

Yes, 7 days!! I got an email last week saying my CGS-M application status changed and nearly had a heart attack, but all it changed to was "Received by administrator" 

Haha same! If you check the date on the right hand side, it would have updated to the new date. It means they made a decision but you can't see it until April :) 

I just got notified that I am waitlisted for my top program. The registrar said "You are on our waitlist. You will hear back by mid-Apri." Just wondering if it's appropriate if I respond by asking where I am on the waitlist? Does anyone have advice? Thanks!

16 minutes ago, ccpsych said:

I just got notified that I am waitlisted for my top program. The registrar said "You are on our waitlist. You will hear back by mid-Apri." Just wondering if it's appropriate if I respond by asking where I am on the waitlist? Does anyone have advice? Thanks!

I asked my POI lmao. We’ve been pretty transparent with each other. Because admission is ad comm dependent at this school she was open to tell me I’m next in line. 

11 minutes ago, psychpun said:

Does anyone know when decisions for CIHR/ tri-council come out for the doctoral competition? 

Will it also be April 1? My application says "in peer review". 

Edit: actually don't quote me haha I'm not sure but I would assume April 1?

Edited by Mickey26

Y'all, funding question. Was rejected from Ryerson but I made it to final shortlist so I filled out their OGS form to be considered, can I get OGS regardless like CGS-M? I'm thinking they might figure out the awards after some admissions decisions are made as OGS rankings (according to Ryerson at least) are said to be done by March.

1 hour ago, Mickey26 said:

Haha same! If you check the date on the right hand side, it would have updated to the new date. It means they made a decision but you can't see it until April :) 

Wait, weird. Mine says exactly that (received by administrator) but the date is still when I last submitted... 

1 hour ago, psychpun said:

Does anyone know when decisions for CIHR/ tri-council come out for the doctoral competition? 

Aight so it looks like decisions last yr were released in April :) http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/51299.html Hope that helps!

2 minutes ago, ventiamericano said:

Wait, weird. Mine says exactly that (received by administrator) but the date is still when I last submitted... 

Right, mine for Manitoba is still the day I submitted it. Some schools reviewed last week, some this week :) 

12 hours ago, psychpun said:

It could be program-dependent but I heard back during the last week of March in 2017. Regardless, both doctoral and masters-level decisions should be released soon!!

Edited by Jay's Brain

20 hours ago, ccpsych said:

Do you mind sharing or PM me which school you were waitlisted at? Congratulations!

On 3/20/2019 at 9:08 PM, ZingyNeuron said:

Finally, Concordia said the official “nope”to my clinical psychology aspirations. But at least they thoroughly and comprehensively explained their decision in the letter: no place. Nooooow I get it!! ?? 

You have no idea how much I relate to your comment :)

I'm finally 4 out of 4 no's. It was bad getting that news, but it's even worse now since I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do next year. I feel a little too old to keep applying. My final no was from UBC Counselling, last Friday (and wouldn't you know it, I initially missed the email, although I've been frantically refreshing since January). 

If anyone has a recommendation for alternative programs that they attended and know about that could better prepare me for clinical, please drop me a message. I do need funding for it, but I am willing to work hard for it ? And I would really appreciate some alternatives.

For those with an acceptance - congrats! it's so freaking exciting! you're going to be doing all sorts of awesome things in the fall.

For those still waiting - hold on a little more, it's almost over. *hugs*

And for everybody else, maybe I'll see some of you next year around here. 

All the best, have a great spring and summer! 

Edited by SoundofSilence

On 3/26/2019 at 11:33 AM, psychpun said:

Just got the official email from CRSNG, they got it down to the hour--hype hype hype lol

"The results of the 2019 CGS M Competition will be available to applicants in the Research Portal starting April 1, 2019 at 8:00 a.m. (ET)"

Sending warmth and positive vibes to everyone who has been going through this process! This was my second round of applications and while I am so grateful and excited about my acceptance this year, I know how incredibly painful a process it can be :( Congratulations to those who have received their acceptances, and to those who may be waiting or will be applying again next year, I'm sending strength your way!! Keep your hopes up!! It's not over until it's over :) 

School: York University

Concentration: Clinical Psychology 

Type: MA

Date of acceptance: Unofficially March 25, 2019; Officially March 27, 2019

Notified by: Call from POI on March 25, 2019, and received official offer letter from Graduate Program Secretary March 27, 2019

Any other York folks out there?? :)

21 hours ago, canadianpsych said:

Sending warmth and positive vibes to everyone who has been going through this process! This was my second round of applications and while I am so grateful and excited about my acceptance this year, I know how incredibly painful a process it can be :( Congratulations to those who have received their acceptances, and to those who may be waiting or will be applying again next year, I'm sending strength your way!! Keep your hopes up!! It's not over until it's over :) 

School: York University

Concentration: Clinical Psychology 

Type: MA

Date of acceptance: Unofficially March 25, 2019; Officially March 27, 2019

Notified by: Call from POI on March 25, 2019, and received official offer letter from Graduate Program Secretary March 27, 2019

Any other York folks out there?? :)

Congratulations!!!! That's very exciting!! Did you interview?

Hi all,

I notice there are a few second time applicants. This is my first year applying, and I am still waiting on two or three more schools, but after many late night mental breakdowns, I have finally come to terms with the fact that I don't have a lot of hope for positive news. I was just wondering for any who are second time applicants, how did you beef up your application for the second time around? I recognize that the answers to this question may be a case-by-case basis, but any tips/general thoughts would be much appreciated. :) Thank you in advance!

18 hours ago, greentea_latte said:

Hi all,

I notice there are a few second time applicants. This is my first year applying, and I am still waiting on two or three more schools, but after many late night mental breakdowns, I have finally come to terms with the fact that I don't have a lot of hope for positive news. I was just wondering for any who are second time applicants, how did you beef up your application for the second time around? I recognize that the answers to this question may be a case-by-case basis, but any tips/general thoughts would be much appreciated. :) Thank you in advance!

+++ This is only my personal opinion +++

After being through a couple cycles and receiving an offer this round I found the most helpful thing was building a relationship with my potential supervisor.  IF there is someone you are interested in working with who is in your geographic area and you are able to volunteer/work as an RA or possibly a research coordinator and build a strong working (and personal) relationship with them it will greatly increase the likelihood of them taking you on as a student vs. an outside person who they speak with for a couple of hours (max).  This might be obvious and it is anecdotal (worked for me) but I think it is worth consideration.  Obviously GPA, GRE, pubs/presentations should be stressed as well :)

Hope this helps a little bit!  

Just now, higaisha said:

CGS-M portal is down and has been since 8 *facepalm*. Is doctoral out today too? Govn site has crashed LOL

ROFL its 6am here for me. This is cruel and unusual punishment.

Doctoral goes out later than CGS-M, date unspecified.

5 minutes ago, higaisha said:

CGS-M portal is down and has been since 8 *facepalm*. Is doctoral out today too? Govn site has crashed LOL

I just waited forever to log in to mine and finally got through! I got an offer for the SSHRC from u of c, but not sure if that means all other schools will have offers up by now as well? Good luck everyone!!!