Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

8 hours ago, Psych_School said:

Hi Everyone!

I have been admitted into two programs - one MA/PhD in clinical psych and a MA/PhD in counselling psych (both CPA accredited).  I prefer the research of my POI in counselling psych much more... is there a big difference in practice between clinical and counselling psych at the PhD level?

Hey! Everyone else here did a great job in terms of explaining the difference (or more so similarity) between the two degrees, but I just wanted to add to what @Sharbar said re: privilege to diagnose. My supervisor actually just discussed this recently in a meeting but yes, Sharbar is correct and conveying a diagnosis is a protected act that only registered clinical psychologists can do. Other professions can provide forms of treatment (whatever they may be), but you need a PhD in Clinical specifically (and registration with the CPO) to convey a formal diagnosis. Definitely something to keep in mind depending on what your career goals are/what populations you want to be working with. Congrats on the acceptances!

Edited by ventiamericano

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has heard back from Concordia....? It still says my application is under review however I haven't heard from any profs.

6 hours ago, PsychologyLife1 said:

So I’ve been waitlisted at Ottawa. Any insight on chances of getting off waitlists?

It's really so dependent on who the POI's first choice candidate decides to do. Typically, faculty will submit two names (sometimes three) as a shortlist, and their first choice gets the offer fo admission. If the candidate decides to accept an offer from a different school and rejects the offer in question, then the alternate (the waitlisted individual) will get admitted. Sometimes, towards the end of the application cycle, if not all the spots are filled in the program, a POI may decide to admit their first choice as well as their alternate. This happened in my lab! So, things CAN happen fairly quickly, but it can also be a little while before you have your final answer. 

5 hours ago, nerdy_metalhead said:

Anyone has any insight on OGS ? I know for UTSC, deadline is in May (way after all the decisions were made). Anyone knows if they do perhaps rolling acceptances for OGS? For example if you receive CGS-M, you may email your POI to inform them and it is possible (albeit unlikely) that you might get acceptance if you were rejected before. Anyone knows when the decisions on OGS come out? And whether the same reasoning applies here? 

I know people who have been accepted in both instances (CGS-M and for OGS). If you're able to secure your own external funding, there is a small chance you could get accepted even if you were initially rejected! Always worth letting your POI know :) 

1 hour ago, ventiamericano said:

Hey! Everyone else here did a great job in terms of explaining the difference (or more so similarity) between the two degrees, but I just wanted to add to what @Sharbar said re: privilege to diagnose. My supervisor actually just discussed this recently in a meeting but yes, Sharbar is correct and conveying a diagnosis is a protected act that only registered clinical psychologists can do. Other professions can provide forms of treatment (whatever they may be), but you need a PhD in Clinical specifically (and registration with the CPO) to convey a formal diagnosis. Definitely something to keep in mind depending on what your career goals are/what populations you want to be working with. Congrats on the acceptances!

Thank you for clarifying! Breathed a small sigh of relief that I wasn't misinformed and in turn, misinforming other people! 

27 minutes ago, rosieejoh said:

More rejections from OISE SCCP were sent out today. Any acceptances ? 

Mine still says under review and I don't know of anyone who has been accepted. The office of the registrar and department won't even tell me if they've sent out acceptances! 

7 hours ago, PsychologyLife1 said:

So I’ve been waitlisted at Ottawa. Any insight on chances of getting off waitlists?

So my POI at Ottawa told me they accept 15 students per year and once they submit ranked applicants to the committee, decisions are out of their hands. My POI said he wanted one student but could end up with 0-2. The committee makes the final decisions and chooses who gets a spot regardless of POI preference (to an extent). It might be more about the spots to be filled - if someone turns down an offer it would be who is next in line in general rather than POI specific (at least that's the vibe I got). Other institutions do this process differently but for Ottawa I think that there's more opportunity to come off the waitlist regardless of the number of applicants that may have accepted to your POI (though there would have to be a cap per supervisor I would assume). So to answer your question I think you have a good chance of receiving an acceptance if you're high up enough on the waitlist.  

Hello everyone,

I wonder if any of you know much about University of Windsor's Clinical Psychology program? This is the only Clinical Psychology admission I got while I also had another admission of Counseling Psychology from a school in the U.S. I am now debating which program I should choose. I personally prefer Clinical Psychology program than Counseling Psychology program since I would love to have more training in assessment and diagnosis. I recently chat with someone who graduated from U of Windsor. She told me that she does not like the research aspect of the program and she does not feel much support from her professor. She found it difficult to complete her dissertation due to lack of support. I feel quite concerned about this. There will be the Open House on March 8th, and I will meet the students to find out more about the program. 

On the other hand, the students from the Counseling Program in the U.S. are very happy with their programs and professors. Funding is not an issue at all. 

I wonder if someone can give me some insight toward my situation? Should I go for the Counseling instead of Clinical? I always want to go to a Clinical program, but now I am not sure at all. Thank you very much! 

8 hours ago, allfordream1 said:

Hello everyone,

I wonder if any of you know much about University of Windsor's Clinical Psychology program? This is the only Clinical Psychology admission I got while I also had another admission of Counseling Psychology from a school in the U.S. I am now debating which program I should choose. I personally prefer Clinical Psychology program than Counseling Psychology program since I would love to have more training in assessment and diagnosis. I recently chat with someone who graduated from U of Windsor. She told me that she does not like the research aspect of the program and she does not feel much support from her professor. She found it difficult to complete her dissertation due to lack of support. I feel quite concerned about this. There will be the Open House on March 8th, and I will meet the students to find out more about the program. 

On the other hand, the students from the Counseling Program in the U.S. are very happy with their programs and professors. Funding is not an issue at all. 

I wonder if someone can give me some insight toward my situation? Should I go for the Counseling instead of Clinical? I always want to go to a Clinical program, but now I am not sure at all. Thank you very much! 

Hey! I am from windsor/ did my BA there. If you want to PM me and tell me who your PI is, I can tell you a little more about them. Honestly, every school will have good and bad professors. I have a friend doing her MA in counselling and her supervisor gives her no support. As for the program itself, they are making strides in multiple areas of psychology and there are certainly many opportunities for placements that will allow you to build the skills necessary to be a clinical psychologist. I think the biggest question is: are you interested in clinical or counselling psychology as a career, because once you start a program it is VERY difficult to switch. Also, as a student, if you feel like you are not being supported adequately by your PI, there are policies in place to protect the students and you will be able to change faculty advisors. Hope this helps! 

9 hours ago, allfordream1 said:

Hello everyone,

Could you tell me the POIs initials? I might be able to give more insight since I go here. 

14 hours ago, ventiamericano said:

Thank you to everyone who is helping to provide insight into this topic!  I definitely want to make the most informed decision possible :) 

I looked on the College Psychologist of Ontario website (http://www.cpo.on.ca/Become_a_Member.aspx --> under the psychologist tab --> registration guidelines) and this is what I found...  It seems like anyone who graduated from a CPA/APA approved program (clinical/school/counselling) can register with the CPO.  Then a psychologist must choose a practice area (forensic, clinical, school, counselling, industrial/organizational) of these all registered psychologists in any practice area can diagnose (except industrial/org.).  Also, it looks like a person who completed a PhD in coun. psych can list clinical psychology as a practice area and vice-versa.  I think that this is how people with a clinical psych degree can declare a practice area in forensic or health/rehabilitation or clinical neuropsychology even though they didn't complete their degree in this area.  It seems to be determined more by placement choices/experience?  

This is how I'm interpreting it!  Could be wrong :) 

Thanks again for everyones input - this decision is getting more complex than I had thought!

13 hours ago, Sharbar said:

It's really so dependent on who the POI's first choice candidate decides to do. Typically, faculty will submit two names (sometimes three) as a shortlist, and their first choice gets the offer fo admission. If the candidate decides to accept an offer from a different school and rejects the offer in question, then the alternate (the waitlisted individual) will get admitted. Sometimes, towards the end of the application cycle, if not all the spots are filled in the program, a POI may decide to admit their first choice as well as their alternate. This happened in my lab! So, things CAN happen fairly quickly, but it can also be a little while before you have your final answer. 

I know people who have been accepted in both instances (CGS-M and for OGS). If you're able to secure your own external funding, there is a small chance you could get accepted even if you were initially rejected! Always worth letting your POI know :) 

Thank you for clarifying! Breathed a small sigh of relief that I wasn't misinformed and in turn, misinforming other people! 

Unfortunately this is incorrect. I would recommend checking out CPO's website(and all other Canadian colleges). In Ontario, anyone in clinical practice can communicate a diagnosis. That includes counselling, clinical and school psychologists. I am from a counselling background and know this from experience. This is a major misconception that people from a clinical psych orientation tend to hold (likely just from lack of exposure to other orientations).

Edited by psychkeen23

4 minutes ago, Psych_School said:

Thank you to everyone who is helping to provide insight into this topic!  I definitely want to make the most informed decision possible :) 

I looked on the College Psychologist of Ontario website (http://www.cpo.on.ca/Become_a_Member.aspx --> under the psychologist tab --> registration guidelines) and this is what I found...  It seems like anyone who graduated from a CPA/APA approved program (clinical/school/counselling) can register with the CPO.  Then a psychologist must choose a practice area (forensic, clinical, school, counselling, industrial/organizational) of these all registered psychologists in any practice area can diagnose (except industrial/org.).  Also, it looks like a person who completed a PhD in coun. psych can list clinical psychology as a practice area and vice-versa.  I think that this is how people with a clinical psych degree can declare a practice area in forensic or health/rehabilitation or clinical neuropsychology even though they didn't complete their degree in this area.  It seems to be determined more by placement choices/experience?  

Thanks again for everyones input - this decision is getting more complex than I had thought!

I'll note that people from non-accredited programs can also apply to CPO, as long as they have fulfilled all requirements 

11 hours ago, allfordream1 said:

Hello everyone,

I also go there and can give you some insight if you want to PM me. I know a ton of grad students and that definitely is not the case with them, but it might depend on the stream and the supervisor. Also, see you at the open house tomorrow!

11 minutes ago, Psych_School said:

It very much is determined by placement choice/experience. Most clinical psych programs are generalist, meaning they train you for a general area of practice. Some programs provide the specialized training as a specific degree area (e.g., SFU, York) but even then they'll have a strong generalist focus because you need that good base of training. Then, if you want more specialized training in a different area, you'll need to get that through a practicum placement/internship. For example, I'm in a generalist program (I get equal amounts of training for both adults and children in general mental health assessment/intervention), but because I want to practice in a forensic area, I'll need to get that experience through my advanced practica and internship. You just have to prove to the licensing board that you have the depth of experience to practice in your chosen area.

55 minutes ago, psychkeen23 said:

Unfortunately this is incorrect. I would recommend checking out CPO's website(and all other Canadian colleges). In Ontario, anyone in clinical practice can communicate a diagnosis. That includes counselling, clinical and school psychologists. I am from a counselling background and know this from experience. This is a major misconception that people from a clinical psych orientation tend to hold (likely just from lack of exposure to other orientations).

I know you're likely only talking about Ontario, but I'm pretty sure in BC you cannot diagnose with a counselling psych degree. Could be mistaken though, but just wanting to say that it definitely is not a misconception across the board, it just depends on what province you're in.

Edit: I actually think I might be wrong about this now that I am looking into it! 

Edited by chopper.wife

51 minutes ago, C_Lamoureux said:

For those of you who have received an acceptance, how long did it take for the official letter of acceptance to be emailed to you? I want to tell everyone about my acceptance, but don't want to do so until I have officially received the letter!

I got an official letter a few days after an unofficial offer from my POI for one school, and a letter outlining funding/that I was being recommended for admission to the dean about 2 weeks after an unofficial e-mail offer form my POI from another school. I think if you got an offer from your POI that made it clear they were offering you a spot, you can tell others and celebrate regardless! I know some schools take 3+ weeks before official letters are sent.

1 hour ago, C_Lamoureux said:

For those of you who have received an acceptance, how long did it take for the official letter of acceptance to be emailed to you? I want to tell everyone about my acceptance, but don't want to do so until I have officially received the letter!

It depends on when you were unofficial offered and when FGS meets. Personally for me:

School A: I was offered an unofficial offer of admission b4 Christmas after the psych committee met. Had my name forwarded to FGS committee for recommendation (met mid-Jan). Got my official letter of acceptance in late-Jan.

School B: offered unofficial offer in late Jan, name forwarded to FGS. Official offer of acceptance + funding letter a month later (late Feb). 

Conclusion: it truly depends haha :)

Edit: as long as you meet min admission requirements, then you would get officially admitted and receive the official letter. It is VERY rare to be disqualified by FGS once the Psych committee forwards your name to them. Congrats! :)

Edited by Mickey26

14 hours ago, allfordream1 said:

Hello everyone,

Similar to what other posters have said, that is not the experience of everyone in the program. I currently attend this school for undergrad and will be starting the Clinical Neuropsychology program next year. I can provide some insight if you message me :)

Hey guys, for those of you asking about Concordia. I just got a call from my POI and she said the letters on their way - i.e. official emails it seems will be sent out over the next few days- definitely by beginning of next week I would presume. 

If you are anxiously waiting to hear back, just remember that if you don't get an email that doesn't mean you wont be admitted. Not everyone will accept their offer!

Best of luck!

8 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

It very much is determined by placement choice/experience. Most clinical psych programs are generalist, meaning they train you for a general area of practice. Some programs provide the specialized training as a specific degree area (e.g., SFU, York) but even then they'll have a strong generalist focus because you need that good base of training. Then, if you want more specialized training in a different area, you'll need to get that through a practicum placement/internship. For example, I'm in a generalist program (I get equal amounts of training for both adults and children in general mental health assessment/intervention), but because I want to practice in a forensic area, I'll need to get that experience through my advanced practica and internship. You just have to prove to the licensing board that you have the depth of experience to practice in your chosen area.

So with a counselling psych PhD you could apply to specialize in clinical? I think I am more confused than before lol

Edited by psych12344