Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

Guest notsethrogen

Does anyone know about the probability of getting into a PhD in clinical after completing a MSc in a research-based program (e.g. experimental, psychiatry)?  I am not sure if the lack of practicum hours would be a huge barrier or not?

Edited by notsethrogen

6 minutes ago, notsethrogen said:

Does anyone know about the probability of getting into a PhD in clinical after completing a MSc in a research-based program (e.g. experimental, psychiatry)?  I am not sure if the lack of practicum hours would be a huge barrier or not?

It seems to me that that actually bodes very well for you; seems like schools value 1) strong academics (GRE, grades), 2) research experience, and 3) clinical experience (seems like you can get by without this if you have 1 and 2 nailed down). Just from what I've noticed though, especially in my case where I have an MA in a fully CPA accredited Counselling Psych program (thesis-based), and haven't gotten any offers. Hope this helps

13 minutes ago, notsethrogen said:

Hey, I can't speak to the actual probability --I think a lot of factors are dependent on the cycle you apply are important (e.g. PhD spots). However, I am completing an MSc in Psychiatry and was admitted into a couple of programs directly into PhD. In my case, I was lucky to get some voluntary clinical experience during my MSc that helped me in terms of my CV and personal statement but there was no requirement for practicum hours. If your thesis is clinical, and you make a case for being ready, you have a shot!

The schools will likely advise you to apply at an MA level but indicate that you would like to be considered for direct PhD entry. 

Edited by psychpun

17 minutes ago, notsethrogen said:

I know many people who have gone into clinical programs after completing an experimental MA. It’s a great chance to get more research experience and show you can do grad coursework. 

However, you’d most likely have to apply to the clinical MA rather than PhD because of the clinical coursework and practicum (but you might get credit for stats courses, etc.). Most programs reserve PhD slots for their own MA students and don’t accept external applicants. There are a few exceptions, of course.

2 hours ago, notsethrogen said:

Echoing those above, having a MSc with relevant research is sometimes sufficient to receive a direct-entry into PhD. I've had several colleagues do this. With that being said, look at the programs you are applying to and what is expected or required at the MA and PhD levels. Often students with a previous Masters assume that it'll cut their time in the program to apply into PhD. In reality, you will likely have to catch up all of the MA clinical courses and complete all of the clinical requirements in the first two years of the program WHILE trying to juggle external practicum applications, dissertation proposals, and other PhD-level requirements at the same time. A lot of the Canadian programs are MA/PhD because they are packed with degree requirements. You may find that you are not really shaving that much time off by foregoing the Masters.

1 hour ago, Jay's Brain said:

Echoing those above, having a MSc with relevant research is sometimes sufficient to receive a direct-entry into PhD. I've had several colleagues do this. With that being said, look at the programs you are applying to and what is expected or required at the MA and PhD levels. Often students with a previous Masters assume that it'll cut their time in the program to apply into PhD. In reality, you will likely have to catch up all of the MA clinical courses and complete all of the clinical requirements in the first two years of the program WHILE trying to juggle external practicum applications, dissertation proposals, and other PhD-level requirements at the same time. A lot of the Canadian programs are MA/PhD because they are packed with degree requirements. You may find that you are not really shaving that much time off by foregoing the Masters.

Agreed! One thing I would say, however, is when I was given the option for direct entry I was concerned about being overloaded. I spoke to many direct entry PhD students from different schools who all reassured me with their own experiences: yes, you will have to catch up on MA courses and so you will likely do 5 years instead of 4 PhD, BUT you will not have to redo your master's thesis. This may be dependent on the institution, but in general you will be doing all your courses and pracs with the MA1 cohort, so you may be thinking about your dissertation, but "your" cohort will be concerned with starting and completing their masters theses while that's not time you will need to devote. 

Taken together, it is definitely manageable. If you find yourself in that position, speak to others in the program who were accepted directly also and see what makes the most sense for you, your goals, and timeline :) 

1 hour ago, noo said:

Does anyone know any human being enrolled in the PsyD program at Adler University? And what they think of it?

It depends what you are hoping to do after schooling... I have heard of places being completely unwilling to hire anyone coming from Adler and it is widely regarded as a "degree mill" with low standards of admission and training. I would strongly recommend you apply to more reputable programs. That being said, I know of one clinician working private practice who went to Adler and she is quite successful, but I would argue she is more of a "business woman" than a psychologist... I just think you will miss a lot of opportunities that reputable programs have to offer and that will help your success in the long run. 

Edited by chopper.wife

2 hours ago, foood said:

Has anyone heard back from Concordia? Refreshing my email constantly x.x

I haven't heard anything yet either! It still says my application is under review... Can't wait to know what's going on. 

Hello all! I had a question about the waitlist and was hoping someone would have some insight. How exactly does a waitlist work? I've been told that the waitlist is not really a "list" but rather you just need the person who currently holds the offer to turn it down and then it will come to you (so it's not like you're Xth position in the waitlist and the offer needs to get passed down through other waitlisted candidates ahead of you until it comes to you). Is this correct? 

6 minutes ago, Psychology_101_ said:

Hello all! I had a question about the waitlist and was hoping someone would have some insight. How exactly does a waitlist work? I've been told that the waitlist is not really a "list" but rather you just need the person who currently holds the offer to turn it down and then it will come to you (so it's not like you're Xth position in the waitlist and the offer needs to get passed down through other waitlisted candidates ahead of you until it comes to you). Is this correct? 

Depends on the school. 

Situation A: You are on the waitlist that is POI specific. Meaning, you might be first on waitlist for Prof A, so if the student with the offer turns it down, you get the offer. However you could also be the 3rd person on the waitlist (this is possible). So the person with the offer, and the two other waitlisted ppl ahead of you need to turn down the offer before you get an offer.

Situation B: waitlist that is NON-POI specific. Meaning, there is a general waitlist. You may be first on this list, so whoever has an offer and turns it down, it will go to whoever is in position 1 in the waitlist, regardless if the person who turned down the offer wrote your POI down. This is rare and off the top of my head I can only think of one school that I've been told does this.