Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

On 3/7/2019 at 8:08 PM, psych12344 said:

So with a counselling psych PhD you could apply to specialize in clinical? I think I am more confused than before lol

I know!  Very confusing indeed, but yes, it seems as though someone could complete a PhD in counselling psych and choose clinical as their practice area when registering with the CPO :)  (In Ontario)

36 minutes ago, Psych_School said:

I know!  Very confusing indeed, but yes, it seems as though someone could complete a PhD in counselling psych and choose clinical as their practice area when registering with the CPO :)  (In Ontario)

OK to settle this I found the FAQ on the CPO website and it lists a psychologist as someone with a PhD, EdD, PsyD or DPsy problem solved LOL

13 hours ago, new_user_96 said:

Hi everyone all my applications have been under review for a while now (York-Clinical, OISE-Counselling/Clinical, Guelph - IO, Waterloo- IO) so I'm pretty mentally prepared for rejections since I only had one interview with OISE. I'm wondering if it'd be appropriate to email my POI's (even the ones who never responded to my introducing myself emails during the application process) about the status of my applications? Can't take the waiting anymore. I'd also really like to ask them how I can improve my application for the future, but I'm not sure if that's too presumptuous since they see so many applications and may not remember mines. I also wouldn't want to be too pushy and send my CV for them to review for recommendations. 

How would you all go about asking for feedback on applications? 

Hi! From what I have read on here, it is best to ask the head of the clinical committee for a status update rather than the individual POI :) If you are uncertain, you can call the Psych Department office and ask them who you should e-mail. I only applied to a couple schools so have limited experience, but I was in contact with the psych office and they told me I was on the waiting list and gave me the name of who I should e-mail for further info. It's a smaller program though so not sure how others work. 

As for asking about improvements, I am not confident that I can give the right advice but hopefully someone else can help. I have just heard it can be risky to ask the POI regarding status updates/potential improvements but it likely depends on the individual! 

Edited by milotic

13 hours ago, new_user_96 said:

Hi everyone all my applications have been under review for a while now (York-Clinical, OISE-Counselling/Clinical, Guelph - IO, Waterloo- IO) so I'm pretty mentally prepared for rejections since I only had one interview with OISE. I'm wondering if it'd be appropriate to email my POI's (even the ones who never responded to my introducing myself emails during the application process) about the status of my applications? Can't take the waiting anymore. I'd also really like to ask them how I can improve my application for the future, but I'm not sure if that's too presumptuous since they see so many applications and may not remember mines. I also wouldn't want to be too pushy and send my CV for them to review for recommendations. 

Hello! I did this last year, but instead of emailing the professor specifically I emailed the graduate secretaries, asking them if they could point me in the right direction of who would be best to ask. I feel like some POIs might answer, but some might consider it annoying, so I'd rather not get a response from the secretary than annoy the professor I want to work with. Additionally, in some departments it may be the graduate coordinator of the program who is most likely to answer those questions, depending on how they go about their decisions. I was very unassuming in my emails, said (more eloquently) hey, my application was unsuccessful this year, I am very interested in the program and plan on reapplying, if it were possible to get feedback from someone in the department I would very much appreciate it; of course I know you receive many applications so if this is not a possibility I completely understand blah blah blah. I got feedback from two places with this method; it was general, but it helped a bit.

14 hours ago, new_user_96 said:

I agree with the others that it might be best to start with the graduate admissions coordinators! If you didn’t interview, there’s a chance that the POIs may not have seen your application (e.g. some schools screen applications and only pass on a certain number to faculty) or may only have generic advice to give. 

On 3/9/2019 at 12:37 PM, milotic said:

Hi! From what I have read on here, it is best to ask the head of the clinical committee for a status update rather than the individual POI :) If you are uncertain, you can call the Psych Department office and ask them who you should e-mail. I only applied to a couple schools so have limited experience, but I was in contact with the psych office and they told me I was on the waiting list and gave me the name of who I should e-mail for further info. It's a smaller program though so not sure how others work. 

As for asking about improvements, I am not confident that I can give the right advice but hopefully someone else can help. I have just heard it can be risky to ask the POI regarding status updates/potential improvements but it likely depends on the individual! 

On 3/9/2019 at 12:44 PM, Clinicalh0peful said:

Hello! I did this last year, but instead of emailing the professor specifically I emailed the graduate secretaries, asking them if they could point me in the right direction of who would be best to ask. I feel like some POIs might answer, but some might consider it annoying, so I'd rather not get a response from the secretary than annoy the professor I want to work with. Additionally, in some departments it may be the graduate coordinator of the program who is most likely to answer those questions, depending on how they go about their decisions. I was very unassuming in my emails, said (more eloquently) hey, my application was unsuccessful this year, I am very interested in the program and plan on reapplying, if it were possible to get feedback from someone in the department I would very much appreciate it; of course I know you receive many applications so if this is not a possibility I completely understand blah blah blah. I got feedback from two places with this method; it was general, but it helped a bit.

On 3/9/2019 at 1:20 PM, Clinpsyc01 said:

I agree with the others that it might be best to start with the graduate admissions coordinators! If you didn’t interview, there’s a chance that the POIs may not have seen your application (e.g. some schools screen applications and only pass on a certain number to faculty) or may only have generic advice to give. 

Thanks everyone! I think emailing the department/graduate coordinators is a really good idea (very relieved I didn't email my POI's). 

Has anyone else here (or lurking this thread) been accepted to Ryerson? If so, feel free to PM me - always nice to see who will be in your cohort :) Best of luck here to everyone else still figuring things out - I believe in you guys! 

Does anyone know what the selection process is for adjunct faculty members? For example, if my POI is an adjunct faculty member, how do they make selections, when do they receive applications to review and such? Or is it the same process for them as for core faculty?

8 minutes ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Has ANYONE been accepted to or know anyone who’s been accepted to SCCP at OISE? I still haven’t heard anything! 

I would love to know this as well! My application is still "under review" and I've had no contact.

10 minutes ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Has ANYONE been accepted to or know anyone who’s been accepted to SCCP at OISE? I still haven’t heard anything! 

1 minute ago, ccpsych said:

I would love to know this as well! My application is still "under review" and I've had no contact.

Mine also says under review, and it doesn't seem like anyone has received an acceptance (at least not based on this forum or the results section)

24 minutes ago, noo said:

Does anyone know what the selection process is for adjunct faculty members? For example, if my POI is an adjunct faculty member, how do they make selections, when do they receive applications to review and such? Or is it the same process for them as for core faculty?

In my department, adjunct faculty normally follow the same interview process, but only get to accept students if there are spots available after the core faculty make their offers. It is a larger department though, and there are usually more than enough core faculty to fill the cohort- other departments likely differ.

33 minutes ago, Clinpsyc01 said:

In my department, adjunct faculty normally follow the same interview process, but only get to accept students if there are spots available after the core faculty make their offers. It is a larger department though, and there are usually more than enough core faculty to fill the cohort- other departments likely differ.

Well that is scary. And this happens despite the adjunct faculty advertising for new applicants, correct? On the website, they are included in faculty that is accepting new students. That sure does put a spin on the waiting process!

9 minutes ago, noo said:

Well that is scary. And this happens despite the adjunct faculty advertising for new applicants, correct? On the website, they are included in faculty that is accepting new students. That sure does put a spin on the waiting process!

I don’t believe my departmen posts a list of faculty accepting students, but I was interviewed by a non-core member who didn’t mention to me that others had priority over him in accepting students. It was only after I started the program (with a different, core faculty supervisor) that I learned this. If the department in question includes adjunct faculty as accepting new students, I would guess they’re probably more open to them supervising students. 

1 minute ago, Clinpsyc01 said:

I don’t believe my departmen posts a list of faculty accepting students, but I was interviewed by a non-core member who didn’t mention to me that others had priority over him in accepting students. It was only after I started the program (with a different, core faculty supervisor) that I learned this. If the department in question includes adjunct faculty as accepting new students, I would guess they’re probably more open to them supervising students. 

Got you. Thank you for responding!

Has anyone on this forum applied to the PhD:R/I or PsyD in clinical at the University of Montreal? I just received an interview invite, which I didn't know they held.  Any feedback on this process would be greatly appreciated! :) 

Edited by ClinPsyc19

10 minutes ago, KidPsych said:

Has anyone else applied to the school psychology program at MSVU? I’ve been accepted and would love to chat with others who have as well! 

Sorry, not at MSVU but I may be attending Dalhousie for Clinical Psych :) Feel free to PM to chat!

Officially accepted my offer for the University of Guelph Child & Adolescent Clinical Psych - super excited to get started in September! I released my offers from UTSC and Waterloo, so good luck to those on the waitlist. Message me for POIs if you're interested. 

Edited by gillis_55

22 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Officially accepted my offer for the University of Guelph Child & Adolescent Clinical Psych - super excited to get started in September! I released my offers from UTSC and Waterloo, so good luck to those on the waitlist. Message me for POIs if you're interested. 

Congrats on the accepted offer! So exciting to know where you will be going :)

3 hours ago, Willy36 said:

Those of you who are attending APA in Chicago later this year... we should meet up!! Would love to see everyone's research, or chat about their interests, it'd be nice to put some names to faces

I'll be there presenting a paper on "Trauma-informed care systems for adolescents involved in the justice system" I'd love to connect :)