How do you decide?

Hey! So I had a friend in a similar situation this year. She got into SJSU and USC for OT grad school. She always wanted to go to USC but decided SJSU was more cost effective so chose that. The day before final decisions she decided she had worked her whole life for that USC diploma and decided it was worth it to her. Looking at CSUN online tuition Vs Emerson isn’t THAT different, especially if you’re getting scholarships, so if Emerson was your reach school and it means a lot to you, go for it! Congratulations!!!!! 

1 hour ago, p287 said:

I had a similar issue when applying for my Masters. I opted to accept one and defer the other-- it gave me the freedom of trying one out while knowing the other was still an option.

This is generally not acceptable at most places and will cause you to burn bridges in a number of scenarios. I'd recommend against it. A deferral is meant to allow you to start at a later date provided everything stays the same.

I think the best policy here is to be honest with both schools. Tell them what would make things easier for you to accept their offer but be prepared to accept their offer if they offer what you're looking for.

First off, congrats!!! So awesome that you got into two great programs! Next up, deciding, which is really a nice problem to have. Will you be notified of a scholarship before accepting, or is consideration for a scholarship only made after accepting? If it’s unclear, clarify and maybe that will help you know if it’s worth a gamble. Otherwise, deciding will be based on whatever is most important for you, whether that’s costs, coursework, etc. It might help to reach out and see if you can get in touch with a current online student of both programs and see what they say? Good luck! :) 

Congrats!! Is CSUN 100% online or do you have to travel for clincials during the summers? Does Emerson require travel? I think if you have a family, but don't mind being away for a short bit during those summer stays, Emerson could be worth it if they require travel. Especially if they give scholarships to alleviate the costs. If it's the same in price but CSUN doesn't require on campus visits and you want to stay close to family, CSUN may be the way to go. This of course is just going off information collected and an opinion, but I'm positive you will make the right choice for YOU. Good luck!

Edited by BlackGirlSpeechie

1 hour ago, BlackGirlSpeechie said:

Congrats!! Is CSUN 100% online or do you have to travel for clincials during the summers? Does Emerson require travel? I think if you have a family, but don't mind being away for a short bit during those summer stays, Emerson could be worth it if they require travel. Especially if they give scholarships to alleviate the costs. If it's the same in price but CSUN doesn't require on campus visits and you want to stay close to family, CSUN may be the way to go. This of course is just going off information collected and an opinion, but I'm positive you will make the right choice for YOU. Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, CSUN is 100% online and Emerson has two 4 day weekends in the summers. Emerson costs so much more, too. They provide a lot of support, though, according to themselves. CSUN admittedly put a lot of the burden of obtaining placements on you. My heart is sort of set on CSUN, because they offered first, but if Emerson could get the cost down I might be tempted.

Edited by JennWilhelm

Congrats! Personally, I wouldn't believe anyone regarding scholarship money if it was not in writing. I say go with the cheaper program, unless the school that mentioned funding can actually give it to you in writing. to guarantee you will actually be receiving something. Funding aside, I would also look at their delivery option and convenience. Which school finds your clinical placements for you and doesn't require you to do coldcalling etc.

How long do you have to decide? It might be worth holding off to see if Emerson offers scholarships. When the time comes, take the cheaper school.

Worst case scenario, if you accept CSUN and then Emerson offers a giant scholarship you could forfeit the deposit (I don't know if all schools have deposits, but a lot do) for CSUN. It might feel awkward, but it happens, and it would just free up a slot for someone else.

15 hours ago, smarieSLP2b said:

Congrats! Personally, I wouldn't believe anyone regarding scholarship money if it was not in writing. I say go with the cheaper program, unless the school that mentioned funding can actually give it to you in writing. to guarantee you will actually be receiving something. Funding aside, I would also look at their delivery option and convenience. Which school finds your clinical placements for you and doesn't require you to do coldcalling etc.

There are pluses about each program but my gut is saying CSUN after I prayed . Thanks guys I'm going to wait and see if Emerson offers anything substantial, I have a bit of time I only have an unofficial offer from CSUN. Waiting to hear more.

Edited by JennWilhelm

7 hours ago, JennWilhelm said:

There are pluses about each program but my gut is saying CSUN after I prayed . Thanks guys I'm going to wait and see if Emerson offers anything substantial, I have a bit of time I only have an unofficial offer from CSUN. Waiting to hear more. 

Great idea, goodluck with whatever you choose. :)

Personally it's up to you but for me personally one of my future goals is to be financially responsible and reduce as much future debt as I can. With that in mind I chose ultimately the cheaper school (this wasn't the only reason). I'm happy I made this decision! It also depends on your future goals as a clinician. 

25 minutes ago, AlwaysaFalcon said:

Personally it's up to you but for me personally one of my future goals is to be financially responsible and reduce as much future debt as I can. With that in mind I chose ultimately the cheaper school (this wasn't the only reason). I'm happy I made this decision! It also depends on your future goals as a clinician. 

It's probably going to mostly be a financial decision. I mean, I want to be a good clinician, but all good schools can teach me me to be that, I don't need a name. Scholarships would be nice, though. 

6 hours ago, SHSGIRL said:

Another factor is how fast you’d like to complete the degree. CSUN is 3.5 years while Emerson says it can be completed in as little as 20 months. 

I have to do part time because I need to work full-time. So no matter what I do I'm going to have to pick the longer program.

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2018 at 7:34 AM, JennWilhelm said:

I have to do part time because I need to work full-time. So no matter what I do I'm going to have to pick the longer program.

I know this post is sort of old, but what did you decide?

• 9 months later...