2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

GUYS has anyone had any luck/experience with talking to programs that only invite you for 1 weekend thats the same weekend as another program with only 1 apparent weekend? fuckk I just got an interview at carnegie mellon cognitive neuro (YAY!) but its the same weekend as UMD NACS (which I low key already committed to). How do you email the program people about it? I don't want to seem like I'm favoring another program... 

7 hours ago, B_Allen said:

did everyone just get an email from MIT saying that they're still processing applications and that they will continue reviewing applicants up until end of january? 

Does anyone have a take on what this means? Normally I would say that they are still reviewing applicants, but it appears that people have already received interview notifications/rejections?

Does that mean that we are "on hold" until their top choices accept the interviews? What is your take on this?

18 minutes ago, applicant09 said:

Does anyone have a take on what this means? Normally I would say that they are still reviewing applicants, but it appears that people have already received interview notifications/rejections?

Does that mean that we are "on hold" until their top choices accept the interviews? What is your take on this?

I think it means they are still reviewing applicants? I got emails from POIs informing me of my interview invitiation and that the committee has already met but I have not received my official letter so I think they are planning on sending out the official letters altogether, meaning they may not have made all of their final choices? So I don’t think they are waiting until people accept interviews since the official letters haven’t been sent 

Edited by _kb

1 hour ago, cam27 said:

Another one for UCSD neuro!! Pumped! Got the email ~2 hours ago though so maybe it was a mass batch? 

Is that the UCSD Cognitive Sciences program the application to which was due December 17th?

Just now, cam27 said:

Nope not cognitive sciences, department of neurosciences. I believe the deadline was Dec 1. 

Oh wow. Thanks. That's a relief. I saw some other folks posting about UCSD too and I almost got so depressed. (UCSD - Cognitive Sciences is my top choice)

2 hours ago, earsnbrains said:

GUYS has anyone had any luck/experience with talking to programs that only invite you for 1 weekend thats the same weekend as another program with only 1 apparent weekend? fuckk I just got an interview at carnegie mellon cognitive neuro (YAY!) but its the same weekend as UMD NACS (which I low key already committed to). How do you email the program people about it? I don't want to seem like I'm favoring another program... 

Is that for central of neural  basis for cognition ><

10 minutes ago, _kb said:

I think it means they are still reviewing applicants? I got emails from POIs informing me of my interview invitiation and that the committee has already met but I have not received my official letter so I think they are planning on sending out the official letters altogether, meaning they may not have made all of their final choices? So I don’t think they are waiting until people accept interviews since the official letters haven’t been sent 

Ah okay, thank you so much for letting me know! And congratulations on your interview!

Did they give you any indication of how many people they were choosing to interview?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, glialstar said:

Can someone explain to me the cons of asking programs if all decisions have been sent out, when you see some already have? Ive heard its best to just wait until they send rejections or at least a couple months after submission, but in this crazy state of anxiety Im wondering what is the downside to asking? Will it look badly, can they switch your decision, is it just improper, etc. Thoughts? 

Hi! May I ask if you have contacted Princeton regarding its interview decisions? Did Princeton mention that all interview invitations have been sent out? Thanks!

32 minutes ago, applicant09 said:

I think every applicant received the email. Maybe lots of applicants asked for an update so that they sent an email altogether... 

2 hours ago, zzzz233 said:

Hi that was from Monday and I submitted all my applications on 11/13, although one of my recommendation letters didn't arrive until 11/26. 

Hi, do you know if there are any more spots for international student? 

12 minutes ago, ltlltl2006 said:

Hi! May I ask if you have contacted Princeton regarding its interview decisions? Did Princeton mention that all interview invitations have been sent out? Thanks!

Someone else in the results section contacted them! All interview invites have been sent out sadly.

• For those of you that applied to the BEHAVIORAL NEUROSCIENCE program at OHSU!!! Can you PLEASE TELL ME whether you received this letter from them around Nov 26th?? I’ve not heard anything yet from OHSU, but is this a good sign that I got this?
  • Or is this a generic email?
  • Please let me know!!! IM DYING WITH ANTICIPATION!
  •  
  •  
  • Dear Myname,
  • We have received your application for the 2019/20 academic year.
  • Thank you,
  • Our Admissions Committee will soon begin deliberations to determine interviewees. We anticipate completing these deliberations by December 21, 2018 and plan on a single interview date of Friday February 22, 2019. Interviewees arrive on Thursday February 21 and depart on Sunday February 24. We now request that you hold these dates open. We will make interview offers in late December.
  • If you are unable to come for an interview, your chance of being admitted to our graduate program may be reduced. Thanks again and please call or email if you have any questions.

12 minutes ago, shouldhavedone said:

• For those of you that applied to the BEHAVIORAL NEUROSCIENCE program at OHSU!!! Can you PLEASE TELL ME whether you received this letter from them around Nov 26th?? I’ve not heard anything yet from OHSU, but is this a good sign that I got this?
  • Or is this a generic email?
  • Please let me know!!! IM DYING WITH ANTICIPATION!
  •  
  •  
  • Dear Myname,
  • We have received your application for the 2019/20 academic year.
  • Thank you,
  • Our Admissions Committee will soon begin deliberations to determine interviewees. We anticipate completing these deliberations by December 21, 2018 and plan on a single interview date of Friday February 22, 2019. Interviewees arrive on Thursday February 21 and depart on Sunday February 24. We now request that you hold these dates open. We will make interview offers in late December.
  • If you are unable to come for an interview, your chance of being admitted to our graduate program may be reduced. Thanks again and please call or email if you have any questions.

Didn't get that email from OHSU. I applied for Vollum not Behavioral Neuro though. But i'm not sure, someone on here said they got contacted by Behavioral Neuro even though they applied for vollum

54 minutes ago, opoloqo said:

Is that for central of neural  basis for cognition ><

no its for the Psych PhD on the cognitive neuro track (psych program but you receive a cognitive neuroscience degree)

2 hours ago, alias155 said:

Is Albert Einstein done sending out invites for neuroscience? Also has anyone who applied to NYU Neural Sciences via GSAS to CNS heard back? 

I'm 90% sure Einstein isn't done, if you look at previous cycles they trickle them out until even late january..they have more than 2 interview weekends typically so they can do that

36 minutes ago, charmingdiary said:

So, weird question, why not send rejection emails right away? Are schools waiting to see who accepts the invites first?

I’m not 100% sure but I think it’s because there will most likely be conflicts with interviews so they want to keep their candidate pool open until after the deadlines to commit to interviews 

5 hours ago, maya123z said:

So I got interview offers for UCSD neuro and BMS. Does anyone have any insider knowledge as to which one might be better? Most of my faculty of interest have joint appointments in both departments. I'm leaning toward just accepting the BMS interview because the neuro interviews conflict with BU and Stanford.

I heard from a PI i know there that the BMS program has flexibility in that you can join a neuro lab through the joint program. It's totally up to you whether you want a neuro-only track or the option to do both! Both are great choices!!