2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

23 minutes ago, _kb said:

Yeah based on previous years it looks like most schools extend invites all the way through the middle of january, I think it's because there are obviously going to be conflicting interviews for some people so they can't attend. so if you didn't hear back, don't lose hope! you may be on a waitlist you don't know about, im in the same boat :) 

I think it depends on the program. From previous years it looks like Harvard PiN always sends all their invites in one big batch so I'm not holding out much hope for them. MIT seems to trickle on at least until the end of December, so still crossing my fingers on that one...

30 minutes ago, maya123z said:

I think it depends on the program. From previous years it looks like Harvard PiN always sends all their invites in one big batch so I'm not holding out much hope for them. MIT seems to trickle on at least until the end of December, so still crossing my fingers on that one...

That's a good point. I think im just holding out hope because i worked in two labs there in undergrad so it would be cool if they came through for me but who knows. I also applied to the BBS program as well and I dont think they have sent anything yet.. so fingers crossed! 

9 minutes ago, wrongpathos said:

Is anyone else dealing with the scheduling conflict for Princeton and Brown ?

Im pretty sure I didnt get an interview for Princeton at this point, but when did they send out interview emails?

21 minutes ago, glialstar said:

Im pretty sure I didnt get an interview for Princeton at this point, but when did they send out interview emails?

I got mine this morning, and looking at the results page someone received an interview yesterday, so maybe they are still sending them out? It didn't seem like a mass email.

1 minute ago, B_Allen said:

did everyone just get an email from MIT saying that they're still processing applications and that they will continue reviewing applicants up until end of january? 

Yes!! So happy there's still a chance for us.

Can someone explain to me the cons of asking programs if all decisions have been sent out, when you see some already have? Ive heard its best to just wait until they send rejections or at least a couple months after submission, but in this crazy state of anxiety Im wondering what is the downside to asking? Will it look badly, can they switch your decision, is it just improper, etc. Thoughts? 

7 minutes ago, applicant09 said:

Does anyone know if Harvard PIN is officially done with sending interview invites? I haven't received one but am holding on (maybe too much) to the hope of it. 

Also congrats to everyone who has received interviews so far! :)

I looked at the BBS results page because I applied there also and someone commented that they emailed admissions and that admissions told them 'all invitations had been sent' so im assuming its similar for PiN :(  pretty bummed 

7 minutes ago, alias155 said:

Congratulations!  May I ask if you heard from Sackler Neuroscience or Neural Science(CNS)?

I think both? At the end of the e-mail, it says "On behalf of the Joint Admissions Committee.......".

2 minutes ago, charmingdiary said:

Also for Harvard's PiN, I noticed from the results page that the majority of invited students are international. Maybe....just maybe...

Last year it looks like they were all sent on the same day so I'm not holding out hope. Definitely if we haven't heard by the end of Friday, I think it has to be a rejection.

30 minutes ago, _kb said:

I looked at the BBS results page because I applied there also and someone commented that they emailed admissions and that admissions told them 'all invitations had been sent' so im assuming its similar for PiN :(  pretty bummed 

It looks like a lot of us who were rejected by Harvard are getting interviews for other great programs, so I'm somewhat comforted that other highly competitive applicants also didn't get in. When you're as hyper-selective as Harvard, admission is kind of a crapshoot.

Btw congrats on MIT, I'm still holding out hope!

Just now, maya123z said:

It looks like a lot of us who were rejected by Harvard are getting interviews for other great programs, so I'm somewhat comforted that other highly competitive applicants also didn't get in. When you're as hyper-selective as Harvard, admission is kind of a crapshoot.

Btw congrats on MIT, I'm still holding out hope!

Thanks! You def still have a chance!! I still haven't received the "official" letter. And that's another good point & a good way to look at it. Hoping there's still more good news in the next couple of days!

18 minutes ago, charmingdiary said:

Also for Harvard's PiN, I noticed from the results page that the majority of invited students are international. Maybe....just maybe...

What page is that? if they made it official then there is definitely no chance... 

30 minutes ago, TerminalMind said:

also bummed about Harvard PiN ? does anyone know if JHU neuroscience is also done sending out invites?

I haven't heard anything yet.. but they did say in the email they would send invites "~18-20" so fingers crossed