2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

1 hour ago, charmingdiary said:

Anyone gotten rejection emails from UWashington? Seems like their invites all went out in one batch :(

I emailed yesterday to ask - seems like all invites have been sent out, but they might have a waiting list for invites? They replied to my email with a rejection, though.

15 hours ago, charmingdiary said:

I think OHSU Vollum and OHSU Behavioral Neuro send theirs at different times no?

I'm not sure, because I applied to Vollum and then received the email from Behav Neuro. Not sure how that happened, but i'm happy either way!

Hi all, I don't have a question or a status report, just a collection of observations in case they're helpful. In perusing this forum, I've noticed the following possibilities:

1. Immediate acceptance without interview.
  2. Acceptance after interview.
  3. Immediate interview invitation without a Skype/phone pre-interview.
  4. Interview invitation after pre-interview.
  5. Immediate rejection.
  6. Rejection after pre-interview.
  7. Rejection after interview.
  8. Wait list followed by rejection.
  9. Wait list followed by acceptance.

Additionally, I've noticed the following possibilities regarding notification:

1. Mid- to late December acceptance, interview invitation, or rejection by email, phone, or application portal.
  2. Early to mid-January acceptance, interview invitation, or rejection by email, phone, or application portal.
  3. No rejection until after interview.
  4. No rejection until the end of the admission period (in March or April), either by mail, email, or application portal.

Finally, I see a few more possibilities:

1. Mass emails inviting/accepting/rejecting everyone at once.
  2. Individual generic emails.
  3. Individual personalized emails, especially from POI.

Wouldn't it be nice to know which of these possibilies is likely for each program/department? Feel free to post this info if you know it!

28 minutes ago, zpalqm said:

Hi all, I don't have a question or a status report, just a collection of observations in case they're helpful. In perusing this forum, I've noticed the following possibilities:

1. Immediate acceptance without interview.
  2. Acceptance after interview.
  3. Immediate interview invitation without a Skype/phone pre-interview.
  4. Interview invitation after pre-interview.
  5. Immediate rejection.
  6. Rejection after pre-interview.
  7. Rejection after interview.
  8. Wait list followed by rejection.
  9. Wait list followed by acceptance.

Additionally, I've noticed the following possibilities regarding notification:

1. Mid- to late December acceptance, interview invitation, or rejection by email, phone, or application portal.
  2. Early to mid-January acceptance, interview invitation, or rejection by email, phone, or application portal.
  3. No rejection until after interview.
  4. No rejection until the end of the admission period (in March or April), either by mail, email, or application portal.

Finally, I see a few more possibilities:

1. Mass emails inviting/accepting/rejecting everyone at once.
  2. Individual generic emails.
  3. Individual personalized emails, especially from POI.

Wouldn't it be nice to know which of these possibilies is likely for each program/department? Feel free to post this info if you know it!

Neuroscience PhD programs typically operate by offering interviews, then making admissions decisions after. If you dont get an interview, its almost certain that you were rejected. Mass emails are usually done for rejections.

the acceptance without interview or with only a skype interview are usually reserved for chemistry, psychology, etc.

Edited by glialstar

So I got interview offers for UCSD neuro and BMS. Does anyone have any insider knowledge as to which one might be better? Most of my faculty of interest have joint appointments in both departments. I'm leaning toward just accepting the BMS interview because the neuro interviews conflict with BU and Stanford.

On 12/18/2018 at 4:46 AM, zzzz233 said:

I got an interview invitation via e-mail from Harvard MCO :)))))))) Kinda unexpected but so haaaaaapppppppyyyyyyy!!!!

I guess PiN will also send out their invitations soon.

Congrats! when did you hear from MCO? / when did you submit your application?

49 minutes ago, maya123z said:

Just got an interview for UCSD neuro!!

43 minutes ago, maya123z said:

So I got interview offers for UCSD neuro and BMS. Does anyone have any insider knowledge as to which one might be better? Most of my faculty of interest have joint appointments in both departments. I'm leaning toward just accepting the BMS interview because the neuro interviews conflict with BU and Stanford.

I just got one from UCSD Neuro as well!!! Super excited since I know they only have spots for very few international students!!

So I have the same question about the time conflicts... I know Stanford Neuro sets their interview dates for 2/27-3/3 (which is super super long omg..) and I'm not sure what to do now... Stanford probably won't send out invitations until mid to late-Jan so it would probably be inappropriate to ask them now i guess? 

32 minutes ago, BlackTea said:

Congrats! when did you hear from MCO? / when did you submit your application?

Hi that was from Monday and I submitted all my applications on 11/13, although one of my recommendation letters didn't arrive until 11/26.