2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

10 minutes ago, maya123z said:

Those who received MIT invites, when was your deadline to accept? Trying to gauge when a second round might be sent out.

There wasn't a concrete deadline- the email said to email them directly as soon as possible to let them know attendance and then said to RSVP to the eventbrite event for it by the 22nd of Feb and interviews are march 7-9

Edited by _kb

Hey guys!  So I have been weighing out my options regarding what to pursue after graduating since I haven't heard back from any of my schools I applied to.  I'd like to learn more about all of your thoughts/opinions/advice on NIH IRTA vs. PREP programs?  I'm not sure which would be best and aside from that I would love some general advice.  Aside from applying to those programs, any information on other programs I should look into that would make me a strong neuro applicant in the future would be helpful as well!  Thank you so much in advance and also congratulations to everyone who have received invites!! :)

15 minutes ago, nanobasiness said:

Hey guys!  So I have been weighing out my options regarding what to pursue after graduating since I haven't heard back from any of my schools I applied to.  I'd like to learn more about all of your thoughts/opinions/advice on NIH IRTA vs. PREP programs?  I'm not sure which would be best and aside from that I would love some general advice.  Aside from applying to those programs, any information on other programs I should look into that would make me a strong neuro applicant in the future would be helpful as well!  Thank you so much in advance and also congratulations to everyone who have received invites!! :)

Im PREP as well if youd like to PM!

1 hour ago, nanobasiness said:

I’m an IRTA. DM if you have questions! The main difference is that PREP programs are aimed at underrepresented groups in science. Also PREP programs are based at many different universities whereas the IRTA program is at the NIH campus. 

20 hours ago, NeuroNerd101 said:

Hey! So I emailed them asking if they have sent out all of their invites; they said yes. The PI would have contacted you much earlier. 

Gotcha, thanks for letting me know!

16 hours ago, nanobasiness said:

Same! I'd like to learn a bit more about the two. I didn't even know what those are

2 minutes ago, RefreshQueen said:

Same! I'd like to learn a bit more about the two. I didn't even know what those are

Also, what are the benefits of doing a post-bac program like these versus getting a job in a lab (hopefully doing neuro research)? Does one look better to admissions committees than the other? 

Just now, nexttosomewhatnormal said:

Also, what are the benefits of doing a post-bac program like these versus getting a job in a lab (hopefully doing neuro research)? Does one look better to admissions committees than the other? 

They both provide experience in research, however postbaccs tend to be research project oriented, offer graduate classes to establish a grad gpa, many helpful seminars etc. I have heard that they are seen favorably as they are serious/intense research experiences that prepare students well for PhD programs

2 minutes ago, nexttosomewhatnormal said:

Post-bac programs have a lot of perks like seminars, free or inexpensive classes, etc. Often there's more opportunity to publish as well.

Last year, I applied to a MS program and was accepted but chose another offer. I was the only applicant and would have gotten to work closely with the faculty because it's a small school. Would it be rude to call and ask about joining for fall 2019 even though I didn't submit a formal application for fall 2019?

If you applied to UMich BioPsychology program, coordinator said they should be sending out interview invites this Friday (January 11). U of Florida just started reviewing apps, so in about a week or two, they said. UC Irvine said they are in their first stage of reviewing and inviting. 

Has anyone heard back from UCLA or Scripps today/yesterday? I saw a few people on the results page and wondering if/ hoping they may be sending out more

So I had a Skype interview and was wondering if its too weird to send a thank you right after/ a couple days after? Same goes for actual interviews? Not sure if its fairly common or overkill to do?

Also during my Skype interview it was mentioned to continue/try to reach out to PIs I'm interested in to see if they have lab openings for the future but no mention was made of an on campus interview or when it would be or I would find out, is this fairly standard? 

33 minutes ago, neurogen said:

So I had a Skype interview and was wondering if its too weird to send a thank you right after/ a couple days after? Same goes for actual interviews? Not sure if its fairly common or overkill to do?

Also during my Skype interview it was mentioned to continue/try to reach out to PIs I'm interested in to see if they have lab openings for the future but no mention was made of an on campus interview or when it would be or I would find out, is this fairly standard? 

I don’t have much experience to answer your second question but it’s common to send thank you emails following interviews and not weird! I think they would appreciate it and would leave a good impression. Hope the interview went welll!

2 hours ago, neurogen said:

I sent a thank you note the evening after mine! I think it's just polite to do so.

When I had mine there was no mention of an on campus interview, but they replied to my thank you note saying I would hear back in the next 2 weeks. Abt 10 days later, I received an invitation for an on campus interview

Posted this over in psych but figured it's worth cross posting since cog neuro's between the two ---

Whoever got the interview for Duke P&N CCN in December, was it in person or skype?

I talked to a PI there this week who said I'd hear more in the next couple weeks.... which seems super late for an interview notification but also early for rejection. Not sure what to think.