2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

5 minutes ago, comp_neuro_guy said:

Seems like they are going up on the results page now, sadly. Does anyone care to confirm? 

It looks like the invites for the biology home program just went out. I haven't seen any posts specific to the Neuro home program go up in the results section so they may not have gone out yet.

1 hour ago, DevoLevo said:

It looks like the invites for the biology home program just went out. I haven't seen any posts specific to the Neuro home program go up in the results section so they may not have gone out yet.

It seems like people applying to biomedical informatics have also been contacted for interview. Maybe they are sending out invitations in alphabetical order of the program?

Edited by sunnyyiu627

1 hour ago, DevoLevo said:

Got the call on Wednesday from Stanford neuro but no official email yet. Could be later this evening, my phone call was at like 9pm EST. 

Hey everyone. ?

I applied for 10 neuroscience programs. I have a background outside of the biological sciences, but I have a year and a half of research experience (mostly outside of neuroscience). No publications, though I think I'm a good essay-writer and I had enthusiastic letters of recommendation. I just wanted to share, I have been:

Offered an interview at: UCLA, UCI, UC Davis, Brown

Not offered an interview at [waiting on official rejection]: U Washington, UC Berkeley

Waiting to hear from: Stanford, McGill [Canada], Oxford (Wellcome Trust) [England], Max Planck School of Cognition [Germany]

I found this thread as I was looking for information about Stanford admissions decisions. Stanford's website's FAQ originally said interview invitations will be sent out this week (the week of January 7th), but the website was subsequently changed to say "early- to mid-January". One can still find a cached version of the old website on Google to compare with the live website and verify this fact. Perhaps this implies that they are delayed in reviewing applications and some invitations will be extended next week. (That could explain why the website was changed to no longer promise an invitation be extended this week.) But that might also just be self-serving speculation to keep my hopes up! ?

In any case, I look forward to meeting my potential cohorts at each of these universities! If anyone is curious, I can share which interview sessions I have selected for the programs which have offered me interviews.

Edited by JHML

Just got an email about a rejection from U Penn CAMB, not sure if they sent out the neuro rejections already though. Was feeling somewhat sad about it as I only applied based on a PI there telling me to and that they wanted to recruit me to their lab at a conference/email, but seeing all the rejections on the results page made me feel a lot better in that we can all mope together.

Edited by neurogen

1 hour ago, neurogen said:

Just got an email about a rejection from U Penn CAMB, not sure if they sent out the neuro rejections already though. Was feeling somewhat sad about it as I only applied based on a PI there telling me to and that they wanted to recruit me to their lab at a conference/email, but seeing all the rejections on the results page made me feel a lot better in that we can all mope together.

Just had my U Penn neuro interview today and I’m pretty sure they’re done sending invites as well. They told us exactly how many students are attending the other interview weekend so sound like things are pretty set. 

10 hours ago, maya123z said:

Just had my U Penn neuro interview today and I’m pretty sure they’re done sending invites as well. They told us exactly how many students are attending the other interview weekend so sound like things are pretty set. 

Hi Maya! Did they give you a sense of how many people they were accepting? (e.g if people in the first group were more of a priority). How many people were in both groups?

10 minutes ago, kath88 said:

Hi Maya! Did they give you a sense of how many people they were accepting? (e.g if people in the first group were more of a priority). How many people were in both groups?

They told me that most if not all of us will receive offers, as they have no maximum cap. Each group is ~25 people and neither has any priority. 

28 minutes ago, maya123z said:

They told me that most if not all of us will receive offers, as they have no maximum cap. Each group is ~25 people and neither has any priority. 

Ah okay, that’s great to hear!! Thanks for sharing. :)

Edited by neuronerd95

I too am very curious about MIT. 

I have all but given up on it, and any news would be greatly appreciated. 

Based on a (very rough) count 14 invites were registered at the "first" wave this year on this website.

and a total of 13 invites were registered last year. This seems like bad news.

Edited by ylyoo

For anyone who was still curious about Stanford (like me), I just checked with a current student and they said the list has not been officially released but they think it will be this week. The school received a lot of qualified applicants so it took longer than they anticipated. 

Good of luck everyone!

42 minutes ago, Hmmm123 said:

For anyone who was still curious about Stanford (like me), I just checked with a current student and they said the list has not been officially released but they think it will be this week. The school received a lot of qualified applicants so it took longer than they anticipated. 

Good of luck everyone!

Yeah I know someone who got a call on Friday (mine was Wednesday) so it seems like they are still slowly trickling out. 

1 hour ago, Emily2715 said:

Does anyone have an idea of when we'd hear from BU/when their interview weekend will be?

I think they send out invites towards the end of January and I heard through this forum that the dates for interview are Feb 25-27

9 hours ago, _kb said:

I think they send out invites towards the end of January and I heard through this forum that the dates for interview are Feb 25-27

Actually, on this page it says 24-26. Did someone have a more reliable source saying 25-27? Not that one day makes much of a difference...

8 hours ago, blarn_4349 said:

Actually, on this page it says 24-26. Did someone have a more reliable source saying 25-27? Not that one day makes much of a difference...

I heard 25-27 through this thread but I would def trust their website over that haha sorry for the confusion! 

37 minutes ago, _kb said:

I heard 25-27 through this thread but I would def trust their website over that haha sorry for the confusion! 

I think it may have been me who said 25-27, I just had it written down wrong on my calendar! It is 24-26 like the website says.

Edited by maya123z

On 1/12/2019 at 12:46 PM, neuronerd95 said:

MIT is done. Everyone who got the email and not rejected is on the back-up

Does anyone know how likely it is to be pulled from these back-up lists? Do they just have a pool of applicants in case someone cannot make the interview?